Question Drop off dive at Cocoview Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He didn't "get it" because he finds a dive dull and boring that you happen to enjoy. Well I'm with the other guy. With almost 700 dives all over the world I know what I like to see and the boring relentless barren drop-off dives at CocoView ain't it.
What I meant by to "get it" is to understand and appreciate what the point of that dive is--what CCV expects the diver to experience. To "get it" is not necessarily the same as to enjoy it.

It was my first visit to CCV, and what I can say is that I appreciated what that dive was about, which is taking your time and seeing the macro life and juvenile fish in all the little nooks and crannies as you slowly work your way back in to shore. The guy I mentioned was grumbling as though CCV did not afford their guests exactly the kind of dive they intended. I have done plenty of dives I did not especially enjoy, but if the dive op gave me what was intended, and it was all well publicized and not deceptive, then I certainly did not grumble about it. Countless discussions here on SB had made it clear to me that the drop-off dive experience is really about poking around in the crevices and coral heads for the small stuff. In that sense, I was not disappointed. Would I do this year after year, as some (I'm thinking our dearly departed Doc) do? Probably not. But I got what was intended out of those drop-off dives during my week there.

I got the impression that the "drop-off" diving was really more of a convenience for the resort: they get to advertise it as part of the dive package without actually having to organize some other offshore dive. Over the course of a week, that adds up to 5 dives (per boat) that don't happen on some other part of the coast, saving on fuel and staff fees, assuming they're paid per dive.

Those drop off points are close enough that a small skiff could ferry divers back and forth all day long with little added cost to the resort, leaving the dive boats free to access much better dive locations.

I got a little fed up with the drop-offs too.

Divemasters and captains at CocoView are primarily tipped employees; not paid per dive. Safety divers and other dive staff receive a monthly salary. General schedule for all dive staff (DMs, captains, etc) is six days on, maybe one day off per week (Saturdays, if their boat isn’t on luggage duty). Most usually (but not always) get Friday afternoons off as well.

I got the impression that the "drop-off" diving was really more of a convenience for the resort: they get to advertise it as part of the dive package without actually having to organize some other offshore dive. Over the course of a week, that adds up to 5 dives (per boat) that don't happen on some other part of the coast, saving on fuel and staff fees, assuming they're paid per dive.

Those drop off points are close enough that a small skiff could ferry divers back and forth all day long with little added cost to the resort, leaving the dive boats free to access much better dive locations.

I got a little fed up with the drop-offs too.
I'm sure that is a factor. My impression was that CCV puts equal (or similar) emphasis on shore and boat diving. The drop-off dive is really just a twist on the shore diving.

If you're being dropped off at CCV Wall, you keep the wall to your left as you swim in, until you reach the sandy channel, and then follow the chain (and generally a stream of other divers) on in. If you're being dropped off at Newman's Wall, you keep the wall to your right as you swim in, until you reach the same sandy channel, and then follow the same chain on in. It seemed there was always a flurry of divers hanging around the channel or the wreck that's there, coming in or heading out, and there was really no way to miss it.
CCV Wall on your left? Newman's wall on your right?

That's backwards on the drop-off. CCV Wall should be on your right and Newman's on your left if you want to get back to CCV Resort. Unless you're swimming belly up.

They make an "L" with the corner anchored on the Prince Albert. Newman's juts out southward towards the mainland and CCV runs roughly parallel to the primary RTB coastline.

1719022980712.png

That's backwards on the drop-off. CCV Wall should be on your right and Newman's on your left if you want to get back to CCV Resort. Unless you're swimming belly up.
Who cares. They're equally dull.

Who cares. They're equally dull.
Who cares? Anybody that wants to get back to the resort. The instruction I questioned was how to find your way back in after you get dropped off.

i agree that the walls were blah. I began to opt for a wreck drop and avoid the walls.

CCV was OK - I'm not bashing. I may someday find myself back but it's not real high on my return-to list. Just not my cup o' tea. I basically like RTB but want to find options to check out.

Oops. I stand corrected. Anyway, there are only two walls, with a channel and a wreck between them and plainly obvious, and after the orientation a guest will easily be able to remember which wall is which. Six months later ... perhaps not. :wink:

Another question about the drop off dives. Since it's the second of two dives and a shore dive, what happens to any personal belongings on the boat (dry bag, flip flops etc.)? Do I walk back to the boat geared up (sans fins) and gather it up? I plan to keep my regulator dust cap in my dry bag is why I'm wondering.

Another question about the drop off dives. Since it's the second of two dives and a shore dive, what happens to any personal belongings on the boat (dry bag, flip flops etc.)? Do I walk back to the boat geared up (sans fins) and gather it up? I plan to keep my regulator dust cap in my dry bag is why I'm wondering.
Yep, leave it on the boat! When you reach the exit at the shore dive, you'll walk up onto the sand, and across to the boat docks to your cubby holes. In the mornings, the DMs will be waiting to take your tank & BC from you, and you can dunk everything in the rinse tanks, and leave it at your locker/cubby. Your DM and boat captain will load it on the boat for the next dive.

Once you're all squared away, the boat is docked directly in front of your cubby. Just walk on and take your stuff - you'll need to anyway, to return your "safety tag" (you get a numbered tag you clip to your BC when you jump for the drop-off; you clip it back into place in the boat when you return to let them know you are back safe and sound).

It's really quite convenient.

View of the boat from the dive lockers:

IMG_9718.jpeg

...and view of the dive lockers from the boat:
IMG_9606.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom