Driving from Belize City to Placencia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I toyed around with the idea of renting a car for my upcoming trip to Placencia but it's just not cost effective, i.e., too much money for not a lot of time in the car.

So now I'm considering hiring a private car/driver and going by road rather than air from BZ City to Placencia.

Just for kicks.

My flight is supposed to land at Goldson at 2:20 in the afternoon. Assuming the flight's on time and I don't get strip searched at Customs I would be able to hit the road around 3:00, maybe even a little before.

It looks like the way to go is out the Western Hwy, then either turn left on the Coastal Hwy or continue straight to Belmopan and turn left on the Hummingbird Hwy. Either way, I would then hook up with the Southern Hwy and go on into Placencia.

So I'm looking for input. Anyone driven this before? How long will this take? How's the scenery? Should I be concerned about having enough daylight? Would it be better to do this when I'm returning to BZ City from Placencia two weeks later in the morning?

Or is this just a bad idea all the way around?

Even Hamanasi doesn't recommend it. And Dangriga is a lot closer than Placencia.
While it is easiest to get to Hamanasi if you fly, some guests choose to drive. Please be aware of poor signage, unmarked one lane bridges and slippery conditions. Please make sure that you bring your driver's license. We strongly recommend a 4-wheel drive vehicle that is insured. Please avoid driving at night.

They also have pretty concise directions that would get you that far here: Hamanasi Resort | Hopkins Belize | It's also 2.5-3hrs. to there so I doubt you could get to Placencia in daylight.

There is a bus - we considered it - sounded like a fun adventure - but a long drive with multiple stops. So we decided to fly Mayan Island Air and rent a car in Placencia. Although if you're diving with Splash or Avadon, IIRC they'll pick you up and shuttle you back/forth daily if you book one of their package deals. This appears to be the only car rental in Placencia (closed Sat): Home

We chose Maya over Tropic as Tropic has checked luggage restrictions due to the size of their plane. My gearbag would not have made it. The Airline of Belize - Tropic Air - Baggage

Thanks, Steve, for the info as well as the link to Barefoot Services. Much appreciated.

As I suspected, for daylight purposes I'd be better off doing a road trip in the morning so I'll have to do this on the way back home. Looks like I can rent the car the day before I leave and drop it off at Goldson when I get there.

might check with [user]ralph capeling[/user] he's involved with Splash and lives in Placencia.

Lol, no worries there. I'm diving with Splash, doing a Whale Shark package and some PADI classes. I've bugged he and Patty enough, which is why I thought I'd ask here about doing a car trip.

Can't wait!

Downing, depending on whether you want to do any inland tours up in the Cayo district, we would drive the Humingbird Hwy anyway or if Patty and I need to make a trip to Belize City you could see the Humingbird that way. The Humingbird is a beautiful drive, but the section between Belize City and Belmopan is a bit boring.
Regards
Ralph

Back
Top Bottom