Yep, seeking advice for Belize in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As many of you know who frequent this board even infrequently, I've been to Belize many times. But always in the summer.

This year, for a number of reasons having to do with global forces all the way down to family matters, it's going to be October. Any significant difference besides the risk of hurricanes? Summer is the slow season, which is fine with me. As I understand it, accommodations are cheaper, lines are shorter, the water's warmer, so what's not to like except trying to sleep in the jungle with no air conditioning?

As always, I'll be going to Placencia, diving with Splash and running around the jungle. My wife's coming this time, which has more of an effect on accommodations than anything else as she's a gal who insists on her creature comforts. This may finally be the year we do Caracol.

For those who have braved Belize's Hurricane Season, what's it like? Longer lines? Higher prices? Not as hot? The wind is usually the major factor in whether the dive boats can go out. Are we doomed diving-wise?

I can't wait to smell that hot salty air again. Every time I walk off the plane at Goldson I feel like I'm home. We did Europe the summer before Covid hit with the idea that we or at least I would return to Belize the following summer. And then the pandemic happened.

We’re headed to San Pedro in late Jan - early Feb this coming year.

Nobody?

Fine. I'll come back in October and answer my own question, lol.
Wish I could help you!

We've only been down there twice, both times in May.

I can say that in May 2018, the one thing that stuck out was the extent of the sargassum invasion and the related inconvenience.

I am jealous that you are going to Caracol.

Since I retired, I have begun reading everything there is about the Maya, and Caracol is one of those bucket list destinations.

Last time we were in Belize, we did Tikal and Xunantunich, and of course, Tikal and Caracol have a history of conflict.

Good Luck with your trip!

I've been to both Tikal and Xunantunich and although they're very different I really enjoyed both.

Our guide for Tikal turned out to be a total nutbag conspiracy theory type. Although entertaining, I wasn't sure I could trust anything he had to say about Tikal.

At Xunantunich, the first time I went I hooked up with a guide probably in his 70s. Spry as a mountain goat. He pointed out his picture on the board of a group of anthropologists who were excavating the site back in the 1970s. We hiked up the big pyramid there although the weather looked ominous. Sure enough, just as we reached the top it began to pour. We hiked back down to a little opening and spent the next half hour huddled in there.

Good times.

Usually I go in august. Last year I went the last week of oct on BAIV and the 1st week of nov to visit young daughter in San pedro.

Basically I noticed no difference on land. Maybe I just caught 2 weeks of great weather. no rain, normal winds.

The diving, thouugh. I got cold. I always wear 3mm and take a hooded vest just in case. Never worn the vest, but did this time starting the second day and was glad to have it.

Otherwise the diving was the same.

Turns out I may not be doing any diving this trip. My best buddy in Belize is actually going to be in Canada in October, and the trip would just not be the same without seeing him.

So we're probably going to divert to Merida, Mexico, where we want to investigate the possibility of buying a winter home.

So close and yet so far...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom