Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bad role model for those taking precautions. I drink bottled water. However, I do not brush my teeth with bottled water, I drink beverages with ice cubes, I eat anything in a restaurant, I eat from street vendors. I have always done just fine, perhaps just my luck. Or perhaps it's a function of being a child of the 1950s and 1960s. I ate dirt, I ate sand, I grew up before cleanliness was such an obsessive behavior. Perhaps I have some immunity based on exposure. I forgot to mention, I am a physician, with a subspecialty in Infectious Diseases. My behavior is my own, your behavior is your own business. I wouldn't try to dissuade any of you from playing it safe.

It sounds like we should be pretty worry-free. But, IF by some poor luck, one of us does get tangled up with Montezuma's Revenge, is there any especially efficacious (there's your $5 word for today) remedy I might want to think about taking with me?

Years ago, my doctor gave me a prescription for diphenoxylate atropine to take to Peru. Thankfully, I have never had to use it.

I agree wholeheartedly with MMM. 25 years here and always brushed my teeth with Tap water as have 7 of my children, and never have I worried about ice in bars (art least the nicer ones). I don't drink the tap water but some do as it is all from a desalination plant using reverse osmosis.

The most likely culprit for Moteczuma's revenge is tainted food, especially from buffets at AI hotels.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I grew up close to the border in West Texas and spent many many weekends as a teenager in Acuna Mexico. Perhaps my body is acclimated to whatever bacteria can cause problems, but in 10-12 trips to Cozumel in the last few years, all staying at Casa Mexicana I have had zero stomach/butt issues. I brush my teeth with tap water, take pills occasionally with tap water, I eat from the late night hot dog stand on the corner, I love ceviche, and I can't resist tomatoes. We also eat all over the island.

In the 80's, trips to Mexico would usually be started with a couple of chewable Pepto Bismal tablets every morning. That was before Imodium was available. Pepto works, but it turns your stool green, so don't be surprised. Immodium works pretty well if you get the flaming shits, but it lock EVERYTHING down.

I'm sure that non-purified drinking water has made people sick in Mexico, but it hasn't effected me or my wife(who grew up a looong way from Mexico in Oklahoma) on our trips in the last 3 or 4 years. We drink bottled water mostly and don't do anything too terribly stupid....but I think the fears are exaggerated.

The tequila might get you (especially if you drink cheap tequila) I'm sure the water could if you drank from an untreated source, but take normal precautions and you'll be fine. Please drink a Bohemia Obscura for me(or 10).

safe travels,
Jay

Good call! I didn't even think of that. I have Steramine tablets and liquid packets I could take. At least for soaking my regs in. I'm sure 3P would hold onto my regs and rinse them for me. But, they are brand new ScubaPro, top of the line, with a transmitter attached. Nothing against 3P at ALL, but I will be bringing my regs home with me after every dive.

When I visit in June, I will let 3P hold all of my equipment - except for my wrist computer (Perdix AI). I have no doubts they will take care of everything.

Good call! I didn't even think of that. I have Steramine tablets and liquid packets I could take. At least for soaking my regs in. I'm sure 3P would hold onto my regs and rinse them for me. But, they are brand new ScubaPro, top of the line, with a transmitter attached. Nothing against 3P at ALL, but I will be bringing my regs home with me after every dive.
They would take very good care of your regs but I absolutely understand your caution. When you drop off your gear at the shop they will provide a mesh bag with your name. Just put any gear inside you want them to take care of and it will be on the boat when they pick you up. We keep out our primary computers, lights to recharge the batteries and camera.

I would make sure to point this out if any of the crew is in shop. Otherwise they may get concerned when there is no reg to attach to your tanks! :wink:

Last edited:
This is from the CDC's website on food and water precautions for travelers to Mexico:

Don't Eat
  • Food from street vendors

Ppffftt

What nonsense.

Frame of reference?

Somewhere around 110 days in QRoo - never in a resort or hotel.

The frame of reference is the US Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. Every time someone in the US is diagnosed by a laboratory to have contracted an infectious bacterial or parasitic gastroenteritis, the strain is sent to the local health department and the individual's health history is investigated, including travel and eating habits. All this information is reported regularly to the CDC and they have been maintaining extensive databases for decades. Their travel advisories are based on these data - and they advise against eating street foods in developing countries, see below:

Food and Water Safety | Travelers' Health | CDC

Street food

Street vendors in developing countries may not be held to the same hygiene standards as restaurants (which may be low to begin with), so eat food from street vendors with caution. If you choose to eat street food, apply the same rules as to other food; for example, if you watch something come straight off the grill (cooked and steaming hot), it’s more likely to be safe.

Last edited:
My rule for street vendors is to pick one with a lot of locals mobbing it. The vendor wouldn't be so popular if they got people sick.

The "don't drink the water" precaution is ancient - the water here has been "safe" to drink for quite a few years now, although I still don't recommend it and it doesn't taste as good as bottled water.

It's literally part of the culture to drink bottled water, not tap water. People won't even accidentally service you tap water or ice made from tap water. The 5 gallon containers of purified water are literally less than $2usd. ALL ice in restaurants, hotels, bars, bagged ice from OXXO, etc will come from purified water.

I have always brushed my teeth with tap water. I wash fruits and veggies that will be eaten raw with bottled water as a matter of habit, but I'd be fine washing them in tap water.

People are more likely to have TD here from dehydration, too much sun, over consumption of alcohol, and/or over consumption of rich fatty foods that they aren't used to eating at home.

Ppffftt

What nonsense.

Frame of reference?

Somewhere around 110 days in QRoo - never in a resort or hotel.

I have a friend that loved traveling to Mexico, he went to the popular resort destinations several times a year and he scofed at the food and safety recommendations and loved eating street food from vendors with food carts. He contracted Toxoplasmosis - that parasite that causes problems for unborn babies which is why pregnant women aren't allowed to can't change the litter box.

Most adults don't get too sick from Toxo but he was one of the unlucky ones, he has long term lung problems and breathing issues that will never go away. Humans are usually infected with Toxo accidentally, the normal life cycle of the parasite involves cats, birds, and rodents - so you've got to wonder what kind of meat he was eating off that street cart, yummy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom