Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good point, and I think we were just fortunate not to have gotten sick despite not washing the skin of the avocados, papayas, mangoes, pineapples, and I don't know what else we bought from Mega. We ate a lot of fruit. I suppose when a knife cuts into a piece of fruit, it can contaminate the flesh with bacteria from the skin.

Dunk the fruit in a sink/bucket full of dilute Steramine and let air-dry?

I guess it all depends on your body and your stomach's sensitivity level. I've never got sick from overseas travel(Southeast Asia, Mexico) and I've dined at some dodgy street vendors but the guac incident I mentioned above kind of freaked me out.

TD == Traveler's Diarrhea. I had to Google it.

Good call! I didn't even think of that. I have Steramine tablets and liquid packets I could take. At least for soaking my regs in. I'm sure 3P would hold onto my regs and rinse them for me. But, they are brand new ScubaPro, top of the line, with a transmitter attached. Nothing against 3P at ALL, but I will be bringing my regs home with me after every dive.
Hey S, this may not be water safety related but if you are planning on bringing back to your hotel gear, I would highly recommend using of these dry bags. With regular bags on the boat, EVERYTHING will get wet. In addition to the larger size bag, I also use a smaller, dry case for money, hotel key, phone, etc. Plus this larger bag can double as your carry on for the plane!

When I'm in Mexico (or anywhere with iffy water and/or food handling practices)- I take a Pepto every morning just as a precaution. I know if I get really sick it isn't going to help, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Yes.
Before our first trip 11 years ago our kids pediatrician recommended Pepto-Bismol. Something in it seemed to coat the stomach and seemed to ward off GI issues. She recommended a tab in the morning and one at night.

We didn't follow the regimen this last trip, and there were no consequences.

I guess it all depends on your body and your stomach's sensitivity level. I've never got sick from overseas travel(Southeast Asia, Mexico) and I've dined at some dodgy street vendors but the guac incident I mentioned above kind of freaked me out.

I've been a few places, but not many. But, never gotten sick.

I do suspect that there is an element of building up some tolerance gradually. Something my g/f will not have any of. I think I'm going to take some Pepto for us both to take every day, just as insurance.

Ppffftt

What nonsense.

Frame of reference?

Somewhere around 110 days in QRoo - never in a resort or hotel.

The frame of reference is probably the one stated - i.e. the whole country of Mexico. Not just one tiny (relatively) sanitized tourist destination.

Hey S, this may not be water safety related but if you are planning on bringing back to your hotel gear, I would highly recommend using of these dry bags. With regular bags on the boat, EVERYTHING will get wet. In addition to the larger size bag, I also use a smaller, dry case for money, hotel key, phone, etc. Plus this larger bag can double as your carry on for the plane!

Yeah, I've done boat diving before (in NC, which has been a lot rougher and more wet than what I'm expecting of Coz). I have a smallish dry bag. I should be good. Plus, the boat is picking me up and dropping me back on the beach at the resort. So, I won't have far to go from the boat to my room. :)

That's a good point, and I think we were just fortunate not to have gotten sick despite not washing the skin of the avocados, papayas, mangoes, pineapples, and I don't know what else we bought from Mega. We ate a lot of fruit. I suppose when a knife cuts into a piece of fruit, it can contaminate the flesh with bacteria from the skin.

Dunk the fruit in a sink/bucket full of dilute Steramine and let air-dry?

Yes.
We always pick up a bottle of Microdyn, which is generally displayed next to/In the produce departments at Mega, ect. (It's also available on-line here in the states).

We wash the lettuce leaves and anything that's going to be sliced. By washed, I mean put the leaves and fruit in the kitchen sink with water and the recommended amount of microdyn and let the produce soak for 5 or ten minutes.

Never had a problem.

When I went to cozumel last I drank bottled water (or beer or whatever) but I completely forgot about using the tap water to brush my teeth. Fortunately it was not a problem for me. Brushed every day with tap water and had no issue. I don't swallow the water when i brush my teeth though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom