Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good call! I didn't even think of that. I have Steramine tablets and liquid packets I could take. At least for soaking my regs in. I'm sure 3P would hold onto my regs and rinse them for me. But, they are brand new ScubaPro, top of the line, with a transmitter attached. Nothing against 3P at ALL, but I will be bringing my regs home with me after every dive.
3 P's is picking you up and dropping you off at Iberostar each day?

Yes.
We always pick up a bottle of Microdyn, which is generally displayed next to/In the produce departments at Mega, ect. (It's also available on-line here in the states).

I am making a note of this product. Thanks. I recall years ago having seen a produce disinfectant used by my hosts in a South American country where there was known to be cholera, but it never occurred to me to take such precautions "just" for whatever naughty bacteria are responsible for the relatively mild illness we're talking about here. But why not! Especially if it's so conveniently available right there in the Mega.

3 P's is picking you up and dropping you off at Iberostar each day?

Yes. Except the day I'm doing the Twilight/Night dives. I have to go to the marina for that.

I don't use Microdyn either. I wash my fruits and veggies with tap water. And I eat a LOT of fresh fruit and veggies. I have never bought Immodium down here so don't know what they have. But in my travel bag, wherever I go in the world, I carry those fast-dissolve-on-your-tongue immodium tables. They weigh nothing and are very effective.

Yes. Except the day I'm doing the Twilight/Night dives. I have to go to the marina for that.
Good to know. I was under the impression that Iberostar didn't allow any outside operator to pick up and drop off from their pier. They must have made a change to that policy.

Good to know. I was under the impression that Iberostar didn't allow any outside operator to pick up and drop off from their pier. They must have made a change to that policy.

Nope. They pull up close to the beach NEXT to the pier and I wade out to get in the boat. Fine with me. And I WILL be letting the hotel management know what I think of their stupid pier policy.

The worst Montezuma’s revenge I have gotten is when I got out of the Navy and left Japan for out processing in the Bay area back in the 80’s. America, it’s a nice place to visit but don’t drink the water!:mad:

Seriously everywhere on the island I have been, the water served with meals or used for ice has been filtered or bottled and very few people seem to have problems. Some folks, myself included, may have an unsettled GI tract from travel but normally it can be handled with Imodium AD, for a few days. I have also seen persons take it to the next level and if it becomes violent or excessive, obviously it’s time to see a doctor. Doctors on the island are not only very good but pretty cheap but…. it’s a good idea to get with your dive op for a referral to the doctor (so that you are not mistaken for a cruiser).

Basically as I understand it the water coming out water plant downtown is of good quality. Most residents do not use it for drinking due to the low confidence in the distribution pipes downtown, once it leaves the plant. I do not use it for brushing my teeth but other folks I know do so regularly without issue. The one reoccurring story I hear is folks in the AI’s having issues with the food from the buffet's in the low season. Remember what you do not eat today will probably reappear on the buffet tomorrow or into next week until it is consumed, which is probably a larger concern than the ice in your drink.

I don't use Microdyn either. I wash my fruits and veggies with tap water. And I eat a LOT of fresh fruit and veggies. I have never bought Immodium down here so don't know what they have. But in my travel bag, wherever I go in the world, I carry those fast-dissolve-on-your-tongue immodium tables. They weigh nothing and are very effective.

Had a conversation with an ex-pat on the mainland, who's been there for about 10 years, and never used bottled water for brushing his teeth, and has never had a problem. I decided that we'd follow his lead and forego bottled for brushing.

Then had another conversation with an ex-pat MD, and he explained what folly that was. Yes, he said, you could drink a hundred glasses of water from the tap and never have any problems. You might also have a glass and feel pretty lousy with some relatively minor GI issues. You might have a glass and be very, very ill, begging the hospital to admit you, as you are certain that your life is over.

Think Russian roulette.

I run with scissors often enough, thanks.

...The one reoccurring story I hear is folks in the AI’s having issues with the food from the buffet's in the low season. Remember what you do not eat today will probably reappear on the buffet tomorrow or into next week until it is consumed, which is probably a larger concern than the ice in your drink.
Bold again added by me...

“Travelers’ diarrhea (TD) is the most predictable travel-related illness. Attack rates range from 30% to 70% of travelers, depending on the destination and season of travel. Traditionally, it was thought that TD could be prevented by following simple recommendations such as “boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it,” but studies have found that people who follow these rules may still become ill. Poor hygiene practice in local restaurants is likely the largest contributor to the risk for TD.”

Back
Top Bottom