Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting tip. Anyone else know anything about what "truth" is behind this?

The shape of the ice from a machine (presumably one to which a working filter is attached) depends on the brand, and some brands even offer their machines in a choice of ice shapes, not all of which have holes. My guess is the person who gave that advice was familiar only with some brand of ice machine that's popular in the area, and he was contrasting it with ice that may have been made by filling a mold/tray with tap water and putting it in their freezer.

Interesting tip. Anyone else know anything about what "truth" is behind this?

Hey S, this article may shed some light into the holy ice cube thing:

Ice Cube in Drinks
Ice is generally made from purified water; in hotels and restaurants that cater to tourists, you shouldn't encounter any issues with the ice or water. Purchasing drinks from market stands and food stalls may be riskier. Ice that is in the form of a cylinder with a hole in the center is purchased from a purified ice factory and you can feel safe consuming it.

Hey S, this article may shed some light into the holy ice cube thing:

Ice Cube in Drinks
Ice is generally made from purified water; in hotels and restaurants that cater to tourists, you shouldn't encounter any issues with the ice or water. Purchasing drinks from market stands and food stalls may be riskier. Ice that is in the form of a cylinder with a hole in the center is purchased from a purified ice factory and you can feel safe consuming it.

Aha! Thanks! That makes perfect sense and I know exactly the kind ice that is talking about. Seriously, thank you for posting that!

It sounds like we should be pretty worry-free. But, IF by some poor luck, one of us does get tangled up with Montezuma's Revenge, is there any especially efficacious (there's your $5 word for today) remedy I might want to think about taking with me?

The advice I get from friends who are docs at CDC is the standard travel advice, with an eye toward not over-using antibiotics: take some Immodium or whatever and hope it clears up by itself within two or three days, as a typical case of "traveler's diarrhea" will do for someone with a healthy immune system; if it lasts three days or more, then resort to a course of Cipro as an emergency. We carry some Cipro with that in mind, but have fortunately never had the runs for as long as three days.

This is from the CDC's website on food and water precautions for travelers to Mexico:

Eat and drink safely

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.

Eat
  • Food that is cooked and served hot
  • Hard-cooked eggs
  • Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself
  • Pasteurized dairy products
Don't Eat
  • Food served at room temperature
  • Food from street vendors
  • Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs
  • Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish
  • Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables
  • Unpasteurized dairy products
  • ”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)
Drink
  • Bottled water that is sealed
  • Water that has been disinfected
  • Ice made with bottled or disinfected water
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Hot coffee or tea
  • Pasteurized milk
Don’t Drink
  • Tap or well water
  • Ice made with tap or well water
  • Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)
  • Unpasteurized milk
Take Medicine
Talk with your doctor about taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs with you on your trip in case you get sick.

Eating raw dairy products and vegetables in Mexico can put you at risk for serious infections.

Another side note to not get sick-one of my friends ordered guac from one of the remote beach resorts and she got violently sick the next day. None of us had any of the guac and we suspect it may be the produce not being prepared properly. So to this day I never order any uncooked food or salads from these resorts. If you are going to buy fruit or produce from the Mega, just keep a few spare bottles of water for washing in your hotel.

Another side note to not get sick-one of my friends ordered guac from one of the remote beach resorts and she got violently sick the next day. None of us had any of the guac and we suspect it may be the produce not being prepared properly. So to this day I never order any uncooked food or salads from these resorts. If you are going to buy fruit or produce from the Mega, just keep a few spare bottles of water for washing in your hotel.

That's a good point, and I think we were just fortunate not to have gotten sick despite not washing the skin of the avocados, papayas, mangoes, pineapples, and I don't know what else we bought from Mega. We ate a lot of fruit. I suppose when a knife cuts into a piece of fruit, it can contaminate the flesh with bacteria from the skin.

Dunk the fruit in a sink/bucket full of dilute Steramine and let air-dry?

When I'm in Mexico (or anywhere with iffy water and/or food handling practices)- I take a Pepto every morning just as a precaution. I know if I get really sick it isn't going to help, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

It sounds like we should be pretty worry-free. But, IF by some poor luck, one of us does get tangled up with Montezuma's Revenge, is there any especially efficacious (there's your $5 word for today) remedy I might want to think about taking with me?

When I'm in Mexico (or anywhere with iffy water and/or food handling practices)- I take a Pepto every morning just as a precaution. I know if I get really sick it isn't going to help, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.
That is actually pretty smart.

There is also some thought that probiotics may add some benefit but the jury is still out.

More from the CDC (Bold add by me)

Nonantimicrobial Drugs for Prophylaxis

The primary agent studied for prevention of TD, other than antimicrobial drugs, is bismuth subsalicylate (BSS), which is the active ingredient in adult formulations of Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate. Studies from Mexico have shown that this agent (taken daily as either 2 oz of liquid or 2 chewable tablets 4 times per day) reduces the incidence of TD by approximately 50%. BSS commonly causes blackening of the tongue and stool and may cause nausea, constipation, and rarely tinnitus. BSS should be avoided by travelers with aspirin allergy, renal insufficiency, and gout, and by those taking anticoagulants, probenecid, or methotrexate. In travelers taking aspirin or salicylates for other reasons, the use of BSS may result in salicylate toxicity. BSS is not generally recommended for children aged <12 years; however, some clinicians use it off-label with caution to avoid administering BSS to children with viral infections, such as varicella or influenza, because of the risk for Reye syndrome. BSS is not recommended for children aged <3 years or pregnant women. Studies have not established the safety of BSS use for periods >3 weeks. Because of the number of tablets required and the inconvenient dosing, BSS is not commonly used as prophylaxis for TD.

The use of probiotics, such as Lactobacillus GG and Saccharomyces boulardii, has been studied in the prevention of TD in small numbers of people. Results are inconclusive, partially because standardized preparations of these bacteria are not reliably available. Studies are ongoing with prebiotics to prevent TD, but data are insufficient to recommend their use. There have been anecdotal reports of beneficial outcomes after using bovine colostrum as a daily prophylaxis agent for TD. However, commercially sold preparations of bovine colostrum are marketed as dietary supplements that are not Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for medical indications. Because no data from rigorous clinical trials demonstrate efficacy, there is insufficient information to recommend the use of bovine colostrum to prevent TD.

Dunk the fruit in a sink/bucket full of dilute Steramine and let air-dry?

Good call! I didn't even think of that. I have Steramine tablets and liquid packets I could take. At least for soaking my regs in. I'm sure 3P would hold onto my regs and rinse them for me. But, they are brand new ScubaPro, top of the line, with a transmitter attached. Nothing against 3P at ALL, but I will be bringing my regs home with me after every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom