Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Africa we received stern warnings not to get any tap water in the mouth—to the point of being careful when showering. We have been to Coz a dozen times, the last earlier this month. We drink only bottled water, but we don’t worry about iced drinks in the restaurants. The same as when we are in Los Angeles.

Do you want me to pick up a gear bag for you and bring it Monday for use (BCD, fins, etc) other days or do you plan to haul it all to the boat each day?

That sounds great! Thank you! I will email Jeanie about it. But, if you want to make sure they don't forget, that can't hurt.

My first contact with 3P will be when the boat picks me up off the beach. As long as they remember to pick me up and bring me tanks, I guess we'll all be fine.

Monday morning, feel free to make sure they have 2 100s of Nitrox on the boat for me before y'all leave the marina. :):):)

We use a rental reg, but my husband leaves his transmitter with 3P. They take very good care of people's gear.

I've never been to Cozumel, but I have been to a lot of third world countries. My first thought is that I don't want to be the guy whose vacation is ruined by illness, and I don't want to be the guy who is trying to fly home at the end with nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

I find it painless to adhere to all the strict rules stated in previous posts. In fact, I consider it a little worrisome to drink bottled water in some places, probably because I remember news of some bottled Russian water having Giardia in it, though it was years ago:)

In short, on vacation I'm there to enjoy the local attraction and not to see how many germs I might be immune to.

Here is the CDC's infographic for food safety while traveling.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/files/infographic-food-water-whats-safer.pdf

cdc_travel_safety.jpg

For me, what distinguishes a trip to Mexico from trips to other places in the world where food and beverage sanitation practices may be questionable is that the appeal to me of Mexican foods and beverages carries significant weight in my choice of Mexico over some other dive destinations. I have visited places in the world, say parts of Africa, where I have been content to cocoon myself in only the safest practices because I wasn't really interested in the local food/drink, but in Mexico I have to find a balance between safety and enjoyment. Judging by the number of food threads in the Coz forum, I suspect I'm not alone. I wouldn't go so far as foodie commandos who might suggest that you have to go to the sketchiest establishments to find the best food, but I do believe that the best food is rarely found in squeaky-clean tourist-ghetto restaurants. And as mentioned upthread, hotel buffets are prime suspects in Mexican travelers' diarrhea cases.

To each his own balance of risk versus reward. I dive rather conservatively. I suppose I eat and drink rather adventurously.

Back
Top Bottom