Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, been here mostly for 25 years and eat anyplace I want except for AI buffet, and I brush my teeth with tap water. NEVER been sick from it. Have been sick a few times in California and Texas!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'm really hoping someone with good knowledge of Cozumel will reassure me/us that any bar serving drinks on ice has a proper filter on their ice machine.

Chances are higher that they have their ice delivered - ice machines aren't very common in restaurants. That ice is all nice and pure and stuff. Any ice machines that are being used will have good filtration, lest the ice taste bad and look cloudy.

I drink bottled water and make ice with bottled water. I rinse my toothbrush with tap water. Air-drying will murder all but the most unlikely pathogens, so we (physician and microbiologist) rinse dishes, etc. under the tap without qualms.

I know of no evidence that Microdyn accomplishes anything useful at all, and there is good reason to believe it is unlikely to be of any benefit. For produce that won't be peeled, we rinse it under the tap just as we would in the US and dry it well with a dish towel or let it air-dry. If you're super-paranoid, use a little soap or something. But rinse that off, 'cause soap residue could make you sick.

I am thrice as likely to develop TD about 2 days after returning to the US than any other time. Our town water supply is from a small pond that occasionally* has dead moose fall in it, so it may be related to going from all-purified water to mostly-de-chunked water.

*Fine... once. But it was not at all yummy for quite a while.

When you live here, you know what is risky and what is not. Just sayin'.

When you return to Canada, does it freak you out how restaurants don't have hand-washing sinks readily available and how few people seem to wash their hands? I went into a fast-food place soon after returning to the US and actually asked them where the expected giant dispenser of hand sanitizer was, since every such place in Mexico would have one if they didn't have a hand-washing sink. The look the cashier gave me was priceless.

When you live here, you know what is risky and what is not. Just sayin'.

Locals also have different immunities than a traveler. Travelers can easily get sick from eating and drinking foods and beverages that have no adverse effects on local residents.

Locals also have different immunities than a traveler. Travelers can easily get sick from eating and drinking foods and beverages that have no adverse effects on local residents.
Snowflakes! All of these imagined nasty micro-organisms that can cause GI disruptions and what not should disrupt any persons. Unless someone can point me to solid scientific research about developed immunity to water-borne what-evers.

Last edited:
People can get sick from contaminated food and water any place in the world, including the US. Yesterday at the supermarket I found that the produce shelves had been striped of Romaine lettuce because of a recent E. coli outbreak.

But the incidence of infection is higher in poorer countries that have less developed sanitation and water purification systems, poorer refrigeration systems, and less sophisticated food-handling programs or public health programs.

Anyone can get sick, folks with a strong immune systems and general good health are less susceptible but they can still become ill - especially if they are exposed to a large dose of the pathogens, and some species and strains of germs are more virulent than others.

Some populations are much more susceptible to illness, like infants and children, pregnant women, the elderly, diabetics, and individuals with compromised immune systems. And the people that take care of these groups, like parents taking care of children, also have a higher risk of infection.

Some people get a mild bout of illness, recover and then become carriers, ever heard of Typhoid Mary?

Sometimes the illness is rather mild but in other cases it can be quite severe. The infectious microorganisms ulcerate your intestinal track and you are bleeding internally, the germs can also invade your bloodstream and cause sepsis, a life-threatening disease.

The worldwide statistics on food and water borne diseases, according to the World Health Organization, are:
  • Diarrheal diseases are the most common illnesses resulting from the consumption of contaminated food, causing 550 million people to fall ill and 230 000 deaths every year.
Food safety

Last edited:
Snowflakes! All of these imagined nasty micro-organisms that can cause GI disruptions and what not should disrupt any persons. Unless someone can point me to solid scientific research about developed immunity to water-borne what-evers.

Immunity is well known in the study of travel medicine. :) Although it takes a long time to develop it and a short time to lose it.

"It has been known for more than 60 years that individuals who move from low-risk areas to high-risk areas experience a high rate of diarrhea, though this rate significantly decreases as they remain in the area, suggesting the occurrence of natural immunization against prevalent pathogens."

De la Cabada Bauche J, DuPont HL. New Developments in Traveler’s Diarrhea. Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2011;7(2):88-95. New Developments in Traveler's Diarrhea

“Diarrhea is a frequent health problem in developing countries. Most important, it still is a very relevant cause of death, mainly among infants and children. Similar to these children, travelers visiting destinations in developing countries are nonimmune with respect to the many gastrointestinal pathogens that are endemic to those countries; because the travelers have never been exposed to the pathogens, they have been unable to gradually develop immunity.”
Robert Steffen; Epidemiology of Traveler's Diarrhea, Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 41, Issue Supplement_8, 1 December 2005, Pages S536–S540, https://doi.org/10.1086/432948

“Various studies have demonstrated that travelers who recently visited the tropics have a diminished incidence rate of traveler' diarrhea, probably as a result of some developed immunity.”
Robert Steffen Nadia Tornieporth; Epidemiology of Travelers' Diarrhea: Details of a Global Survey; Journal of Travel Medicine, Volume 11, Issue 4, 1 July 2004, Pages 231–238, https://doi.org/10.2310/7060.2004.19007

"Traveler' diarrhea usually occurs during the first week of travel abroad. Although there is still a risk of illness occurring in subsequent weeks and for up to 2 years even after episodes of traveler' diarrhea, it appears that some immunity is gradually developed."
Felix Angst; Update on the Epidemiology of Traveler's Diarrhea in East Africa; Journal of Travel Medicine, Volume 4, Issue 3, 1 September 1997, Pages 118–120, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8305.1997.tb00797.x

True, and who knew that there were so many risk takers on the Coz forum?

Not to beat a caballo muerto, but I think a lot of us who visit Coz were pretty well aware we had kindred spirits here willing to take more risks in Coz than we might in destinations where we're indifferent to the food.

Who's up for a taco crawl? Oh, wait, I'm not on island. :(

People can get sick from contaminated food and water any place in the world, including the US. Yesterday at the supermarket I found that the produce shelves had been striped of Romaine lettuce because of a recent E. coli outbreak.

A little E Coli never hurt anyone :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom