Drinking water precautions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chances are that you probably won't get sick, but why take the chance? It's not that difficult to exercise a few common sense precautions.

How does one reconcile those two sentences (neither of which I disagree with)? If one follows the CDC's draconian recommendations in that graphic you posted--which I guess is considered "not taking the chance"--one will be eating cooked-to-death food, and very limited fresh fruit/vegetables. No street vendor food. No ceviche. No paletas. No salsa. So where does one draw the line between "taking a chance" and "exercising a few common sense precautions"? Some precautions have been suggested upthread, such as eating food from vendors that appear to have a lot of customers, and eating only fruit and vegetables that have been washed at least in tap water if not filtered water. It sounds like those are common sense precautions to some of us, but taking (too big) a chance to others.

How does one reconcile those two sentences (neither of which I disagree with)? If one follows the CDC's draconian recommendations in that graphic you posted--which I guess is considered "not taking the chance"--one will be eating cooked-to-death food, and very limited fresh fruit/vegetables. No street vendor food. No ceviche. No paletas. No salsa. So where does one draw the line between "taking a chance" and "exercising a few common sense precautions"? Some precautions have been suggested upthread, such as eating food from vendors that appear to have a lot of customers, and eating only fruit and vegetables that have been washed at least in tap water if not filtered water. It sounds like those are common sense precautions to some of us, but taking (too big) a chance to others.

I guess you have to balance the options and decide for yourself, what are you willing to chance, and what will you avoid? You have to do that in life all the time, every time you get into a car you have risks - that doesn't stop you from driving, but it doesn't mean that you will take unnecessary risks, either.

I'm not a big fan of Mexican food in general, so it is not a hardship for me to avoid ceviche, paletas, and salsa. The fruits and salads and iced drinks and deserts are my big temptations.

The CDC didn't make up those recommendations just to be mean, they evaluated the travel-related food and water related illnesses reported for Americans and said "these are the best practices to stay safe" but there's still no guarantees. You might flaunt the recommendations and not have any problems, you might try to follow them but still get sick - or you could pick up an infection close to home and be perfectly okay while you travel.

According to the CDC, 38% of travel-related illnesses reported by Americans resulted from travel to Mexico - it's a big country and popular with US travelers. But the risks are still small that you will get sick at all - around 7% to 9%, and you are more likely to get ill in the less developed areas, unlike Cozumel.

Just try to be an informed traveler and do what makes sense to you and for your vacation. You have to take some risks if you want to explore the world, just do it with your eyes open. And if you do get ill, seek medical attention promptly.

I worked in downtown Chicago for many years and I never once ate food from the street vendors - it just doesn't appeal to me - so it is easy for me to take a pass wherever I am in the world.

Last edited:
Does it make a difference if the tap water is from the CAPA supply pipes or if it is from an underground cenote?

My place has cenote water. I used it to wash dishes and produce that I let air dry.
Drinking water and water for coffee and cooking comes from a bottle.

Did you know that the different bottled waters use different processes for filtration?
I think Crystal brand is RO. Some of the others are filtered.

Does it make a difference if the tap water is from the CAPA supply pipes or if it is from an underground cenote?

My place has cenote water. I used it to wash dishes and produce that I let air dry.
Drinking water and water for coffee and cooking comes from a bottle.

Did you know that the different bottled waters use different processes for filtration?
I think Crystal brand is RO. Some of the others are filtered.

I don't have any information about the water from cenotes or the other items you mention - perhaps others will be able to advise you. But in general, don't assume that natural water sources available in pristine natural settings are automatically safe to drink.

People that go hiking in the Rocky Mountains in the western US and drink from mountain springs, streams, ponds, lakes, or even snows - run a high risk of contracting Giardia, a nasty intestinal parasite that can make your life miserable, and sometimes it lasts for a long time and the medication used to treat Giardia can have some bad side effects. Best to drink safe water, or pre-treat the natural water and avoid infection.

Giardia

Last edited:
It's just that I have seen, with my own eyes during my clinical career, a lot of people get very ill from contaminated food and water......

I would have thought that the laughing emoji might have been a clue that he was joking. :D

Then he said:
you're such a party pooper :D

Which, considering it's about poop and e. coli, is another joke, intentional or not.

I would have thought that the laughing emoji might have been a clue that he was joking. :D

Then he said:

Which, considering it's about poop and e. coli, is another joke, intentional or not.

Guess I missed the joke, thanks!

Medical doctors who study travel medicine disagree.

Not all of them disagree.

In fact, I seriously doubt there's much data to disconfirm the very common anecdotal report that people who live in an area know more about which places to avoid and which have a reputation for food safety.That's a pretty widely-held belief where I live in Cozumel and where I live in the US. In fact, a significant number of my colleagues at my medical school in Galveston and at the local hospital in NH (and my entire family) avoid a few local tourist traps to which we routinely attribute problems and where we've personally witnessed (usually soon after moving to the area, then never again) poor food-handling practices. Local residents read the local papers, which sometimes report health department actions, year-round, while tourists usually don't.

Can you point me to any references disproving the hypothesis that "Locals are just better at avoiding bad food"? Don't feel obligated to limit the scope to the travel medicine literature.

Reactions: MMM
97 replies:facepalm:...just brush with bottle water and then use Tequila for everything else. I guarantee your health :D

97 replies:facepalm:...just brush with bottle water and then use Tequila for everything else. I guarantee your health :D

In over 20 years of visiting Q. Roo I have been really sick twice. Both times for 1 day. I am sure both were from food. On the other hand we eat anyplace the food looks good including some street vendors and never worry about the ice. We do not drink any water that did not come from a bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom