Drinking water in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really ... we don't lump all the state gov't together here do we? Texas & Louisiana have different gov't, so do the various states of Mexico. And Austin sure isn't run like Houston or Dallas, so I would surmise the Coz might not be run like every other city or town in Mexico.

Very true...very true.........but, good or bad it's still has the 6 letters somewhere in it's name ie m-e-x-i-c-o....Now, do I worry about it???---hell no......just use a little common sense & you'll be fine.....(There was a reason I took a 17 year hiatus from there, but my fairly new-6 yr- diving buddy got hung up on CZM about 4 years ago....so I go & enjoy---2 can travel cheaper than 1)..........GEAUX TIGERS.........

Having lived in Coz since 1992, I did not drink the tap water but always brushed my teeth with tap water, then spit it out. From my experience, brushing teeth is not a problem with tap water..but i did get typhoid fever from El Pique tacos one time!

Dave Dillehay

Bottled (purified) water is ubiquitous on Cozumel - small bottles in stores and restaurants and large jugs in hotel lobbies, etc. Ice plants also use purified water, so ice in drinks is OK. I am what some may say is overcautious; I do not let Cozumel tap water pass my lips for any reason, but I haven't had more than very minor digestive issues on Cozumel in many years.

Zero fiber food.
Heat and dehydration.
Alcohol.
Traveling with new girlfriend stress.

I didn't get sick, but I was far from "regular". So its hard to say I didn't get sick.

At first I was worried there was no way the 1" deep eco-nazi Mexican toilets would be able to flush anything. No matter, I didn't put anything solid in them for two weeks. Actually lost 10 pounds.

Zero fiber food.
Heat and dehydration.
Alcohol.
Traveling with new girlfriend stress.

I didn't get sick, but I was far from "regular". So its hard to say I didn't get sick.

At first I was worried there was no way the 1" deep eco-nazi Mexican toilets would be able to flush anything. No matter, I didn't put anything solid in them for two weeks. Actually lost 10 pounds.
TMI :D

Zero fiber food.
Lots of people confuse fiber with roughage. The meals offered on Cozumel have plenty of fiber. If you had a serving of black beans, some guacamole, and some tortilla chips to go with that, you had your recommended amount of fiber for the day.

Thanks.

I would have killed for more roughage. Maybe lettuce was tossed on my week due to E coli or something.

Heading to Coz this winter. As I avoid buying or consuming bottled water if at all possible I’m considering buying a purifier and using it with tap water. Any suggestions? The Grayl purifier looks good

Heading to Coz this winter. As I avoid buying or consuming bottled water if at all possible I’m considering buying a purifier and using it with tap water. Any suggestions? The Grayl purifier looks good
If I were you I would make an exception and use the bottled water that is cheap or free and ubiquitous on the island rather than entrust my gut and my vacation time to a gizmo like that.

DSFDF and YMMV, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom