Drinking water in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am what some may say is overcautious; I do not let Cozumel tap water pass my lips for any reason
A little perhaps. Teeth brushing and denture soaking seems safe enough.
Lots of people confuse fiber with roughage.
Dietary fiber and roughage are pretty much the same thing. "Dietary fiber, also known as roughage or bulk, includes the parts of plant foods your body can't digest or absorb. Unlike other food components, such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fiber isn't digested by your body."
Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet - Mayo Clinic
Thanks.

I would have killed for more roughage. Maybe lettuce was tossed on my week due to E coli or something.
Eat more nuts, more beans, more coffee.
I avoid buying or consuming bottled water if at all possible
Me too, bottled water in the US is overpriced and generally ridiculous, but there are reasonable exceptions...
  • Camping with the kids, I'll take gallon jugs of bottled water, and I will pack a few for any car trip. I will not buy smaller bottles other than for funerals, but gallon jugs seem reasonable for camping and possible emergencies.
  • Camping or traveling alone, I'll fill washed ½ gallon apple juice jugs.
  • I will make exceptions and buy smaller bottled waters to carry chilled for summertime funerals.
  • For traveling to Mexico, I'll pack reusable plastic quart jugs and vacuum bottles to refill from the 5 gallon jugs in lobbies.
If I were you I would make an exception and use the bottled water that is cheap or free and ubiquitous on the island rather than entrust my gut and my vacation time to a gizmo like that.
Yep. :cool:

A little perhaps. Teeth brushing and denture soaking seems safe enough.
Maybe so, but teeth brushing with purified water from the jug in the lobby is easy. Another plus is that once my decision is made to use bottled/purified water for any water that goes in my mouth, I don't have to think about it anymore.

It depends on where you are staying. At Hotel Cozumel the general rule we follow is "Don't let any water from the tap get into your system. Use the bottled water that comes with your room to brush your teeth and drink." There are big "office water coolers" around the hotel and at the bars where you can refill anytime. The ice and any water used/drunk in the restaurants and bars is purified so as not to upset the American digestive system. Some of the resorts have purification systems and I can't speak for which ones they are. Cipro is available at the pharmacopias and seems to work pretty well on the little nasties if they should get into you. We always carry imodium with us. Best advise - ask the resort and be prepared.

Good luck and have fun!!
i brush me teeth with tap water for 6 months in cozumel iam still alive and great 🦷 .

Dietary fiber and roughage are pretty much the same thing. "Dietary fiber, also known as roughage or bulk, includes the parts of plant foods your body can't digest or absorb. Unlike other food components, such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fiber isn't digested by your body."
Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet - Mayo Clinic

That is one of the problems with Google and Siri searches; the top-ranked answer is determined by an algorithm, not critical thinking.

If you dig deeper into that question (“what’s the difference between fiber and roughage?”), you will see that the quote you posted from an anonymous member of the Mayo clinic staff is only a partial (and misleading) explanation.

Another, clearer, explanation is: “Roughage is the part of food that is not fully digested as it passes through the bowel. Roughage is sometimes confused with fiber. Some fiber has roughage, but not all fiber contains roughage.”

Soluble
fiber dissolves in body fluids. When it does, it forms a gel-like material as it passes through the bowel, lubricating the bowel and feeding your good gut bacteria. Insoluble fiber (roughage) doesn’t dissolve in fluids. Instead, it absorbs them and sticks to other materials to form stool.

i brush me teeth with tap water for 6 months in cozumel iam still alive and great 🦷 .

You have been lucky. Many older folks and people with lowered immune systems haven't been so lucky. Even the Cozumel city government admits the city water supply is cross-contaminated with raw sewage. How much of it you need to ingest to get a dose of giardia (or worse), I am not sure, but if someone offered me a glass of water to use to brush my teeth that they said they previously stirred with the dirty toilet-bowl brush, I would politely decline the offer.

Same. Brushed with tap. Will make an effort to use bottled water next time, and keep my mouth shut in the shower.

When I was (much) younger I drove with a BAC over the legal limit many times and I never got in a wreck. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom