Drinking water in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casa Mexicana in town has a purification system, so their tap water is drinkable (and there are signs in the room to let you know.) The other places we have stayed - Caribe Blu, Villablanca & Villa Las Anclas - have all provided bottled water for drinking, brushing your teeth, etc.

cruiser - so do they have an in-house purification system at FA? Or were you just winging it with no detrimental results?

DiverKat--

I was winging it with no detrimental results. It was late at night, I was very thirsty and tired and didn't want to go downstairs to get a bottled water so had a big glass out of the tap.

DiverKat--

I was winging it with no detrimental results. It was late at night, I was very thirsty and tired and didn't want to go downstairs to get a bottled water so had a big glass out of the tap.

cruiser .... since your post, I decided to do some checking and did a 'live chat' with Posada (FA's Corporate Office) - they came back and said the hotel has a water purification system ... I wonder if they don't 'advertise' it to their customers so you feel the need to purchase bottled water??

Do NOT drink the water. Use bottled water for brushing teeth, etc. Do not use ice in soda either. Stay with bottled soda, etc. This is regardless of where you are - unless you like rolling the dice!

The ice and any water used/drunk in the restaurants and bars is purified so as not to upset the American digestive system. !

hmm... that might be true with some restaurants, but definately not all.

I've eaten at restaurants in Cozumel before and my digestive system can definately testify that their water was not one of these.

so don't take the above as an always true statement.

Montezuma will have his revenge if you don't keep your guard up. Assume all water out of the tap is not for forgeigners digestive systems unless they have a sign up that says so... then still only trust it with so much trust.

Do NOT drink the water. Use bottled water for brushing teeth, etc. Do not use ice in soda either. Stay with bottled soda, etc. This is regardless of where you are - unless you like rolling the dice!

Not so with the ice on Cozumel; it's all made at a couple of ice plants and they all use purified water to make it.

jerseyrick:

mike_s:

I've eaten at restaurants in Cozumel before and my digestive system can definately testify that their water was not one of these.

Mike, unless you actually drank the tap water, then you can't say for certain that the water made you sick...it could have been any number of things.

People, there is not an ice cube on this island that is made from tap water. It is ALL purified. That is the way of life here for locals and tourists alike....so it has nothing to do with the "tender digestive system" of American tourists.

I would NOT drink from the tap, but any ice cubes or water served to you in a restaurant is purified...no ifs ands or buts. As I said, it's a way of life here and has been forever. They won't even accidentally give you water from the tap...well, I guess it's possible if you're being a total jerk and they want you to get sick!

As far as brushing teeth...I have used the tap water at home for brushing my teeth for almost seven years now. I do make sure my sistern stays clean and I treat my water as recommended. Even so, I have always brushed my teeth with tap water in th hotels...but if you can use bottled water for that, it's always recommended...just to be cautious.

Reactions: BRT

How do you know that it was the water that did it? Anyway, most restaurants I have frequented on Cozumel have sealed bottles of purified water on the tables.

I don't know about the water, but the ice should definately be surrounded by bourbon,scotch or Rum, in copious qualtities..... This will have the effect of melting the ice and cooling the antiseptic agents before being ingested.....

cruiser .... since your post, I decided to do some checking and did a 'live chat' with Posada (FA's Corporate Office) - they came back and said the hotel has a water purification system ... I wonder if they don't 'advertise' it to their customers so you feel the need to purchase bottled water??

All the bottled water there has been free for me, I always do the all inclusive. Good to know they purify the tap, though. Didn't realize that.

Mike, unless you actually drank the tap water, then you can't say for certain that the water made you sick...it could have been any number of things.

People, there is not an ice cube on this island that is made from tap water. It is ALL purified. .

read about the ice machine in that "do you eat the salsa" thread.

Doesn't sound like they are all clean or purified. (to be fair, that could happen anywhere, even the US, though if they establishment lets it go to crap).

How do you know that it was the water that did it? Anyway, most restaurants I have frequented on Cozumel have sealed bottles of purified water on the tables.

how do I know the water did it? No way I can really be for sure.

I had the Chimachanga and a coke with ice in it. The ice was the only water product I had.

I wasn't deadly bad sick, but I guarentee you that it tore up my digestive system. Whatever it was....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom