DPVs are they all that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are without a doubt the most fun you can have diving, not unlike an underwater jet ski that operates in three dimensions, and enable some truly epic exploration dives. They are also expensive, bad for your trim/buoyancy discipline, and can get you lost/leave you stranded miles from your intended exit very quickly.
The good dr. Lector let me use his last week on a dive and ruined me for life! It was a blast, but it effectively makes you a solo diver which I have no problem with.

Not ALL your buddies are cheapskates. I seem to recall that my 650 was a tad more expensive than your 400. :)

Who up and moved?

Nope, just factory powder coat with Rhino Lining on the noses.

The good dr. Lector let me use his last week on a dive and ruined me for life! It was a blast, but it effectively makes you a solo diver which I have no problem with.

It's the circle of life. Pensacolaracer let me borrow his Magnus for one dive - one :censored:ing dive! - on the Sea Tiger after we'd just done an epic first run on the Coal Ship at 270'. I bought a $6700 Genesis less than a week later :shakehead:

If you get a decent scooter - you will never want to dive without one. Again, I emphasize decent ($$ to $$$$) scooter. Not the pool toys made in China.

I disagree with this. They are fun toys. They are expensive to buy, expensive to fix, a pain to carry and move and worry about on a small boat in pounding seas, you can't have one and have your buddy swim... so it is not just one scooter you are thinking about.

One of the reasons I like freediving is the lack of BS gear to wash. Remember you have to drag it out of the garage and load into a truck- then unload from the truck, then load into boat, then unload from the boat, then load into truck, then unload from truck and wash, then drag back into the garage. Now with a scooter you have to charge the battery before and after the dive and check it as well.

I used to use the scooter for every dive when I was making money catching lobsters, it was an essential tool. I have three of them.. I haven't used one in 2 years... I am happier swimming while underwater and having less expense and hassle - not using them.

If you like playing with toys, have the money for them, do dives that leverage the significant advantages of a scooter then go for it. But not everyone will benefit from a scooter and for some it is hardly worth the trouble.

I disagree with this. They are fun toys. They are expensive to buy, expensive to fix, a pain to carry and move and worry about on a small boat in pounding seas, you can't have one and have your buddy swim... so it is not just one scooter you are thinking about.

One of the reasons I like freediving is the lack of BS gear to wash. Remember you have to drag it out of the garage and load into a truck- then unload from the truck, then load into boat, then unload from the boat, then load into truck, then unload from truck and wash, then drag back into the garage. Now with a scooter you have to charge the battery before and after the dive and check it as well.

I used to use the scooter for every dive when I was making money catching lobsters, it was an essential tool. I have three of them.. I haven't used one in 2 years... I am happier swimming while underwater and having less expense and hassle - not using them.

If you like playing with toys, have the money for them, do dives that leverage the significant advantages of a scooter then go for it. But not everyone will benefit from a scooter and for some it is hardly worth the trouble.

Whatever. Your opinion has always been contrary to mine.

Worth every cent if you love the water. Bought a Genesis 1500 and havnt regretted it once. I do deep long offshore runs on the breather and scout new sites while doing back flips and barrel rolls in board shorts. I abuse the **** out of mine and it hardly takes any attention at all. I attribute that to it being a Genesis and all but still. The only people who will say nay cant afford one or have old tech. Not bashing divex. I loved my sierra and cuda. But toys compared to my 1500! Could be the best money I EVER spent. So ya. They are all that!!

Come on up to Seattle. You can tour our factory and we'll get you out on one. Then you can see first hand how much fun they are.

Back
Top Bottom