Genesis 3.1 Early Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New to the Genesis 3.0, you'll notice a flashing LED in the window on the rear of the handle, that gives a visual indicator of battery charge. The flashes are relevant when the motor in not running (resting voltage), as the motor causes the battery voltage to decrease (sag) when running, depending on the speed. Levels are approximate, since they are voltage based.

5 Flashes = 5/6 or more charge remaining
4 Flashes = 2/3 or more charge remaining
3 Flashes = 1/2 or more charge remaining
2 Flashes = 1/3 or more charge remaining
1 Flashes = 1/6 or more charge remaining
Continuous Flashing = You have entered the power reduction charge level.
Solid ON = Motor fault.

After 30 minutes, the LED will blink continuous, just to get your attention, in case you forgot to remove the nose plug after you have finished diving. If you pull the trigger and run the motor, it will revert to reporting battery charge level.

Also new is the USB connector on the tail. There is a configuration app on our website, so users can adjust certain settings and load firmware changes, if needed. (MS Windows only) You will be able to change the voltage levels, power reduction levels (2) and RPM limits, LED brightness and speed control levels and a couple other things.

View attachment 844459

Most people dive the Genesis with the trigger locked ON and use the speed lever to stop the motor when needed, keeping a hand on the handle for control. If you need to take your hands off the handle, then you unlock the trigger. lock it OFF and also set the speed lever to OFF. If you want to swap between right and left hands while running, the trigger being locked ON makes it easy to swap hands and not stop the motor. You just need grab the handle or mounting arch to control the speed knob. Left handed, I control the speed with my pinky finger, others grad the left side of the arch and use their thumb. It's pretty intuitive once you are behind it.

Do all Genesis 3.1's have the USB? I don't remember seeing any USB connections on mine but I also don't think I've opened it since I trimmed it for salt water >6 months ago.

Do all Genesis 3.1's have the USB? I don't remember seeing any USB connections on mine but I also don't think I've opened it since I trimmed it for salt water >6 months ago.

Yep, under the circular sealed cap next to the battery connector.

Here are some pictures of the Genesis 3.1’s USB connector. The tail section has a circular cap. This is within the interior of the DPV once the DPVnis fully assembled.

IMG_9300.jpeg
IMG_9301.jpeg

Hi Jon,

I hope you don't mind the contact, but I think you are involved with selling Genesis DPVs?

I am based in Malta and looking at getting a Genesis (3.1) or Seacraft Future (750 or 1000). I cannot really any killer differences and wondered if you could say why the Genesis is the better / smart option?

I am not sure how much information can be gleaned from the unit on a dive without the Sentry dashboard?

Can you help at all with any of that, or suggest how to buy for Malta?

Many thanks

@Jon Nellis how long can I reasonably leave the cap plugged in before it affects the battery? I ask because if I’m heading somewhere offshore and will be on a boat for multiple days, my inclination is to leave the cap on the entire time as to not expose the pins to salt from spray.

A USB A port on a device? USB A is only meant to be on hosts.

Hi Jon,

I hope you don't mind the contact, but I think you are involved with selling Genesis DPVs?

I am based in Malta and looking at getting a Genesis (3.1) or Seacraft Future (750 or 1000). I cannot really any killer differences and wondered if you could say why the Genesis is the better / smart option?

I am not sure how much information can be gleaned from the unit on a dive without the Sentry dashboard?

Many thanks
be able to replace battery easyly and low price... it's a big plus

Hi Jon,

Many thanks
We can ship world wide direct to consumer, I'll PM you.

Benefits of the Genesis over other brands are...

1. Single handed fully variable speed instead of a X amount of preset speeds, which makes it a lot easier to dial in the exact speed you want. Imagine driving a car that only goes 10,20,30,40...kph but no speeds in between and having to shift 7 or 8 times, instead of just pushing the gas pedal to where you want it. Other brands with variable speed on the body require a second hand to reach forward of the prop to adjust (which you can't reach from an efficient diving position), so if you are holding something with your other hand and want to change speed, you have to clip whatever you are holding off (and probably shorten the tow cord to reach the knob), just to adjust speed.

2. Less maintenance. No need to open the body or little sealed ports to charge, no shaft seal changes. No bearing/bushing maintenance. Just rinse it after the end of the dive, remove the nose plug to turn it OFF and put it away.

3. Less expensive battery replacement without dealing with dangerous goods shipping restrictions. 18650 cells can be found worldwide and are 10-15% of the cost of proprietary DPV battery packs.

4. Travel friendly, batteries can be separated for flight and checked as baggage instead of hand carried.

5. More rugged design. The Genesis does not require a stand to support it when laying on its side, as the Kort nozzle can support the Genesis weight much better than the flimsy thin plastic shrouds on the other DPV brands, so one less thing to drag around on dive boats.

The LED in the handle gives basic battery level remaining (6 levels) which is fine for most people, as they also can check the phone app between dives or just put it on the charger for an hour or two during the surface interval, since it only takes 3 seconds to attach the charge cable. The Sentry provides more precise power consumption information for dives that may push the limits of a charge. See the dive planning section of the user manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom