Down currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say Cedral wall and Santa Rosa Wall might have an increased probability if conditions were favorable for down currents.

Bob
Bethesda, MD

Although, its the ocean and it COULD happen at any time, depending on weather conditions and such, I think that it mostly happens with the changing of the seasons, the "crazy current season" happens in early Summer and I think again sometime in the Winter months.

I would say, mostly on the deep wall dives does this happen, although I've had my bubbles go straight down on some mid-reef dives in late Spring, when I'm usually there, but not often enough to make a big deal about it.

Mid-reef dives, Tunich, Tormentos and Cedral can have strong currents on a regular basis, but not necessarily down drafts, swirls or changing of direction.

I gather that down currents are not common in Cozumel, but they can happen. What dive sites are known to have had them? Are there any dive sites that get them frequently enough that it's worth mentioning?

I have ~300 dives in CZ over 27 years and have never experienced one. Don;t worry so much.

I hit one years and years ago on Cedral. Only one ever experienced. Been there 8 or 9 times
John

We experienced a rather strong down current In Cozumel last April.

I was slightly in the blue off the Santa Rosa wall videotaping an eagle ray. The rest of my group were on top of the reef. Suddenly the eagle ray made a drastic 90 degree turn upward which I didn't understand until later was a reaction to the down current. Fortunately at that same time, I swam back to the group on top of the reef. I reached them at the moment that we drifted into the strong down current. I was grateful that it didn't hit when I was alone over the wall.

Down currents happen in Cozumel generally during season changes. There were crazy currents that entire week. I've been told that this is more common during the change of seasons such as January and April.

Dive operators communicate with one another, test the currents prior to each dive, and try to avoid risky areas during these times of crazy currents but this is not possible to predict with certainty. Down currents come out of nowhere. Learn to look for the signs of a down current ahead of you such as the direction of soft corals or the direction of air bubbles. Read up all that you can about how to handle yourself should you ever have the misfortune of enountering one as this knowledge can save your life.

Last edited:
Let me add that I have been to Cozumel 10 times in the last 4 years. In over 120 dives there, I have only experienced a down current twice, both times in late spring/early summer, both times on Santa Rosa and only one of those were strong enough to warrant a mention.

Certainly not a reason to avoid Santa Rosa. Just read up on how to handle a down current.

Santa Rosa wall as others have said. Also up north at Barracuda.

We did not get the one we saw at Santa Rosa happening, our DM acted fast when he saw divers coming straight towards us figuring there was a down-current right in between. Worst dive I ever experienced in Cozumel in 200+ dives over 17 years. Vis was horrible from storm the night before, pockets of fresh water mixed in so it kept getting blurry and cold then warm again. Freaky experience. Our DM called the dive after we saw the down current and got us all back on boat.

Husband experienced the one up north reefs, diving with a group. They were told exactly where to expect it and to stay next to the wall and kick as hard as possible to get across it. He said everyone did drop suddenly about 20' when they hit it but everyone did as told and came out the other side okay. The big thing is to go across it, not try to kick UP. It was just like a rip current at the beach. FYI - this was the same day that I experienced the one at Santa Rosa. I had opted to go with group to Santa Rosa so I could avoid the advanced deep dive at Barracuda.

Down currents can occur anywhere just like rip tides on beaches. However, as mentioned they are more common in the springtime current changes. The mechanics, as I understand are the same as riptides:

Part of the overall northward current pushes up on the shore, and then has to return to the channel, and follows the least path of resistance—usually between between large coral heads. That means the down current is normally not very wide, and perhaps the best way to deal with a down current is to swim parallel to the reef and with any luck you will be out if it quickly.

Over my 25 years here I have been in many, and several times I just rode it down and never got below 200 ft (nice buzz). Never should one worry about going WAY down, and it is usually futile to fight it. In this season our DMs include this info on all briefings.

Santa Rosa wall is most likely but can happen anywhere as a down current. When you are on shallow solid bottom dive sites like Paso De Cedral or Tormentos you may find these to be currents pushing you out to the wall. It is OK to fight it there as it is probably pretty wide and not too strong.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Several years back I was in a moderate one off Palancar wall (Caves/Horseshoe area), currents were mixed and it was localized. Another time up at Barracuda I was suspended in a cloud of my own bubbles, again pretty localized and relativity easy to swim clear.
Normally if there are mixed currents I try to keep an eye on the edge of the wall or the bottom ahead to observe for moving debris and I usually can spot a strong current prior to getting into it. Santa Rosa often will have a current from the upper end of Cedral Shallows angling in and joining the main channel current along the wall. If it comes in on a more perpendicular angle and I see lots of sand head towards and over the edge of the wall I go high and avoid it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom