Dove Mine LaMotte - Offset Mine Sunday 5-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsigmund

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove the Offset mine on Sunday and had the place all to ourselves. Visibility was amazing - easily 30 feet. Best I have seen in Missouri. The surface temp was 75 but the thermalcline was at about 12 feet where it abruptly changed to 50. At about twenty feet it was about 40 degrees. Definitely happy I dove the drysuit. Plenty of fish, underwater rock formations and macro algae that looked like it went for miles. I spoke with the caretaker and he said the normal crowds don't show up until Memorial Day, so I am going back this coming weekend. All this and it's only about an hour and fifteen minutes from St. Louis. If anyone is interested, feel free to email me about going - bsigmund0359@nospam.yahoo.com. Obviously remove the nospam from the address. Two pictures attached.

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 87
We dove Mine La Motte Saturday. We had it all to our selves for the first dive, but by the time we had lunch and was suiting up for the seconded dive the kids were starting to roll in. We got on there good side by helping them inflate their rafts with our left over air.
The vis was a little better 2 weeks ago. There was a little algae on top but no suspend particles like this weekend.

do either of you guys have a good address or GPS coordinates. Thanks...

Phil

Steve,
I guess we got lucky due to mother's day. As far as the viz goes - if that's worse than a few weeks ago, I'll still take it.

skdvr:
do either of you guys have a good address or GPS coordinates. Thanks...

Phil
Phil,
The directions that I got from mapquest based on their address on the website were wrong. I ended up asking a local for directions. Below are directions that I have revised that are correct. They start from St. Louis heading down I-55 South.

1: Merge onto I-55 S. 34.6 miles
2: Merge onto US-67 S via EXIT 174B toward BONNE TERRE / PARK HILLS. 33.9 miles
3: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto MO-32 S. 2.8 miles
4: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto E KARSCH BLVD / MO-OO. Continue to follow MO-OO. 14.2 miles
5: End a Mine LaMotte / Offset Mine (It is on the left side of OO. You will see a bucket from an old digging machine in the front yard.
You have to call first. He gets a little edgy if you don't call. You need your c-card, but no need for log book. The number is 1-573-756-8300
http://www.the-offsets.com/

Thanks Bill, I was going to try to make a run down there on Sat but I am not going to be able to. Thanks a ton for the directions...

Phil

bsigmund:
Phil,

You have to call first. He gets a little edgy if you don't call.

It is best to call, but sometimes it's hard to get an answer. I have two other phone numbers (including a cell #) that I always use. PM me if you want them.

We plan to be there this coming Sat diving in the mine. Stop by and say "hey" if you're there.

Steve2281,

Will your group be doing the cave diving only? I am still looking to dive the open pit area but may need a buddy.

JAWISA1:
Steve2281,

Will your group be doing the cave diving only? I am still looking to dive the open pit area but may need a buddy.

Yes, just diving inside the mine. Sorry. I would like to say that I'd try to squeeze in a quarry dive, but it takes most the day to do a couple of cave dives. I'm afraid I'd let you down. Maybe someone else will step up. good luck.

JAWISA1,
You're welcome to come with us. My brother and I will be there late morning if you are interested. PM me for my number. We are just doing one dive in the open quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom