doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick:
aight
ive got a question or really want info on diving doubles
not sure where to post this so i figured this would be a place to start
what are some of the "problems" that would be associated with diving doubles
i dont mean like people exceeding their NDL i can see how easy that would be to do
i have already ordered my b/p wing (oms 100# bungied wing,ss b/p and comfort harness,sta) i have heard from people complain about having problems getting adusted to doubles like not being able to control themselves in the water
i will be using the STA for a lil while to have some time on the wing and
i all i have for tanks at the moment are AL80s
and info and or advice welcome

Nick, the 100lbs wing is too big for singles period. This particular wing was designed for twin tanks in the 104-131 cuft size. It's even too much lift for 95s and smaller. I know you ordered it but it's the wrong set up for a new doubles diver. And its the wrong set up for a singles diver. Just like a golf bag has a lot of clubs a diver needs to have a variety of lift wings.

Single tank = 30-45 lbs wing for single tanks
63-95 cuft doubles - 45-60lbs wing
104-119 cuft doubles 60-80lbs wing
119-149 cuft doubles 80-100lbs wing

I've been diving doubles since 1988 and i own ALL sizes of doubles. 80% of the time I am in a 50-60lbs wing. With my big 108s -121s and 2 80 stages i use an 80lbs wing. Only when i have 4 stages do i break out the 95lbs wing.

Spend another $325 and get a single tank wing for your single tank diving.

Cheers

If you use a 100 lbs wing, does it have to be inflated fully, I don't think so. If properly weighted there should be very little air in the wing when the cylinders are full to no air when cylinders are empty, correct? It seems to me then 100 lbs gives you plenty of room for air.

I used a huge 100 pounder for about a year. Mainly because my "mentor" used one. It worked. Does anyone want to buy my 100 pound OMS wing? It is the pretty red. I hear chicks dig it!

DS tank Wipe.......... Im curious with no sarcasm whatsoever, Why NO DIVING SINGLE ON A DOUBLES WING? I dive two BCs Zeagle Ranger in fresh and have a Dive Rite with Tech wings for warm water (it packs better) if your wondering. 41lbs and 50 lbs lift respectively. Both are doubles capable and funtion fantastic as single set-up. If we all put on blinders when it comes to diving there would be no inovation! Loosen up be open to others and exhale once in a while, youll feel better.

cnctina:
If you use a 100 lbs wing, does it have to be inflated fully, I don't think so. If properly weighted there should be very little air in the wing when the cylinders are full to no air when cylinders are empty, correct? It seems to me then 100 lbs gives you plenty of room for air.
A wing that is too large gives the air too much room to wander around.

It also allows a stuck inflator to kill you.

I love these posts.....they are always sooooo much #%#$ fun when a certain few chime in.

To answer your originals question scubanick, the set-up you ordered is a very good setup, suitable for larger doubles (95+) but I am afraid that it will not do on a single due to the simple design of the wing, it was not meant to be dove like that. And you will see that when you get the wing.

For singles you can get a smaller wing, 45/60# and practice with that and then when you are ready you can take your 100's and use them well on the doubles.

Despite popular belief by a few that lack actual field data and are simply repeating silly things they heard/read/were brainwashed into - the bungees will not kill you; you will not die in the first 5 seconds of your dive due to uncontrolled ascent; you will not get entangled on everything; the wings will not taco like mad; and if you have a stuck inflator, well then you unclip the inflator hose - wow, what a concept eh?

So in short, stick with what you ordered you will love the whole rig (harness, wing, backplate) and perhaps beg, steal or borrow a smaller wing to practice on singles until you get your doubles setup.

Tamas:
I love these posts.....they are always sooooo much #%#$ fun when a certain few chime in.

To answer your originals question scubanick, the set-up you ordered is a very good setup, suitable for larger doubles (95+) but I am afraid that it will not do on a single due to the simple design of the wing, it was not meant to be dove like that. And you will see that when you get the wing.

For singles you can get a smaller wing, 45/60# and practice with that and then when you are ready you can take your 100's and use them well on the doubles.

Despite popular belief by a few that lack actual field data and are simply repeating silly things they heard/read/were brainwashed into - the bungees will not kill you; you will not die in the first 5 seconds of your dive due to uncontrolled ascent; you will not get entangled on everything; the wings will not taco like mad; and if you have a stuck inflator, well then you unclip the inflator hose - wow, what a concept eh?

So in short, stick with what you ordered you will love the whole rig (harness, wing, backplate) and perhaps beg, steal or borrow a smaller wing to practice on singles until you get your doubles setup.

I would agree here with TAMAS As I stated in my earlier post, I used to have an OMS 100 bungee wing I used for 2 years mainly with twin 120's and I was happy. I did travel to the Caymans and used a STA for an AL 80. It looked a bit silly and was WAY over kill, but by no means was I in jeopardy of getting killed as some have mentioned.

The main issue with a wing this large and a set up with a single AL 80 is the entrapment of air.

When you practice and train on your gear you become familiar with it and become comfortable. I am sure if Nick continues on his path with his current and then desired set up he will be fine, he will just look a bit silly and have to answer a bunch of questions before each dive :)

If he is willing and economically fit to do so....Get a 65lb wing with a Stainless BP (AL if you don't need the weight) with a STA for the AL 80 and remove that when you get your doubles (my choice and OPINON, HP 120's)

Good luck

to start off with thanks for the comments...even the ones that i didn't like
ok i have 2 buddys with that dive this setup one works at a LDS and the other used to dive tons with him and one has this setup still and that is kinda where i got the recommendation i know it is over kill for a single 80 and even for some single tanks
my buddy who still has this setup used it when we went diving back in agust on a single 95 and he seemed to have no probs. not to mention he has had tons of time on it the main thing i wanted was what is the "general problem with starting with doubles"
not comments on the rig i bought.

i agree with cnctina the wing does not have to be fulled inflated
and as for abman just because i have such a huge wing and 80s doesnt mean
im gonna get dcs or need to "go to the chamber" i didn't like that statement soo.. not a very encouraging or useful statement but oh well
it not like im goin to inflate it the the max just for the sake of doin it very unlikely that it will ever be fully inflated

i did think about gettin a smaller wing but i wanted to make sure i have plenty of lift as it will(not that all of it is needed) plus now i have it for further use down the road
i most likely will still get the smaller wing just one thing at a time

all comments are appreciated even the negative ones

ok and one more ? wth is the taco effect exactly??? i kinda understand what netdoc said but if u dont mind explain a lil more

oh and the silly looking part about the wing and the 80 i dont care
silly lookin is the norm for me

scubanick:
ok and one more ? wth is the taco effect exactly??? i kinda understand what netdoc said but if u dont mind explain a lil more

oh and the silly looking part about the wing and the 80 i dont care
silly lookin is the norm for me
When you get the wing, put the thing together in your living room. Lay it backplate-down on the ground, then grab the wing and pull it straight up so it wraps all the way around the 80.

Taco!

jonnythan:
When you get the wing, put the thing together in your living room. Lay it backplate-down on the ground, then grab the wing and pull it straight up so it wraps all the way around the 80.

Taco!

ahhh got it now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom