doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabully, do you disagree that a 100 pound lift wing might be too much for a diver new to a backplate? Especially one trying to use it with a single tank?

I'm not trying to get into an argument, just wondering your position on the matter at hand. I've never used doubles so I am curious.

seabulley:
Im just wondering, do you tell divers what to do because your on the scubaboard staff or do you think you know everthing because you have almost 200 dives.
OK, so you don't understand internet forums. That's alright, we'll learn ya.

1) People ask questions.

2) Other people give their opinions of the best answers.

3) Repeat steps 1 & 2 until the thread fades into the depths of old threads.

There IS another way, though:

1) People ask questions.

3) Someone doesn't answer the question but insults the people who have.

4) The insulter is banned from the board.

Now, choose which scenario you like the best and apply it.

PerroneFord:
seabully, do you disagree that a 100 pound lift wing might be too much for a diver new to a backplate? Especially one trying to use it with a single tank?

I'm not trying to get into an argument, just wondering your position on the matter at hand. I've never used doubles so I am curious.

A 100 pound wing is more than i need and i wouldnt use one with a single tank if i didnt have too. That doesnt mean i have the right to tell another diver what to do.

Rick Inman:

1) People ask questions.

1) People ask questions.

I did ask a question and i still have no answer.

well without sounding a bit sarcastic seabulley, jonnythan does seem to have a few more dives under his belt than you do, somethime the best thing that anyone can do is just LISTEN. but, i do dive doubles as well. trying to dive a 100# lift bc with an alu. 80 is an accident waiting to be flown to a chamber. before you even try doing this you need to get the proper training and the correct gear for the dive. if you don't, i hope that you have dan coverage, you'll be needing it.

seabulley:
Im just wondering, do you tell divers what to do because your on the scubaboard staff or do you think you know everthing because you have almost 200 dives.
Rick Inman:
1) People ask questions.

1) People ask questions.

Seabully,
My wife just said that she thinks that my post to you was more insulting than your post to Jonnythan, therefore (so I don't have to have myself banned:wink: ) I apologize.

Seabulley,

To answer your question: EVERYONE has a right to an opinion, including you and I. As I tell people who have never been here: If you ask a question, you will get several answers and one just might be right! If there is a answer you don't like, feel free to debunk it as you see fit: but it's bad form to be rude or confrontational about it.

ScubaNick,

In the past I dove an AL80 with an OMS Double Bladder 100# wing. But I used a homemade "spreader plate" to stop the taco effect. I have seen many a frustrated diver trying to overcome that taco effect but to no avail. So my suggestion to you: buy a single wing FIRST (I just got my camouflage single wing from Tobin aka CoolHardware) and then buy an additional wing when you can afford the doubles. You will be a happier diver for it!

PerroneFord,

The amount of lift has little bearing on the usefulness of a 100# wing. The issue is the use of a wing that was designed for doubles and not for singles. Hopefully you never have to fill even an 18# wing all the way. The diver controls the amount of air in the bladder. The taco effect exaggerates any air shift and could make it impossible to recover your attitude without going to a heads up position and this could be disastrous in an overhead environment. Bungies will help alleviate this somewhat, but not completely!

Rick Inman,

Your desire for peace and to do what is right is amazing. THANKS for all you do!

seabulley:

I'm with you. I think a poster should be limited in posts to no more than 1 advice post per dive they have completed. (except for the travel boards where it takes 30 posts to get some info) :D :D :D

JDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom