Doubles recommendation for an average size man (6')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have actually got the RAM from Bryan @ vintagedoublehose (thanks Bryan for the reg it looks awesome) and planning to test it today.

The question I have now to you guys is as follows.

As I understood correctly for the best performance I should have the regulator in between my blades. So the longer tanks are out of question thus my double HP100 and my wife's double LP85s will not work. I"m not even talking about AL80 :)

I have an OMS 66 which looks to be perfect for the job.

Now, I want to make a double tank so I can get a decent nitrox dive on the reg. and I think I can get a second OMS 66 and pair them together.

What do you think about this scenario ? Or can you recommend me any option as well ?

I have a mid size frame 190lb at 6'. My wife will most likely dive the rig as well she is 5'8 so I should also look for a compromise :)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know about double 38 but I think she will be against them :)

You might want to consider these sets. I am 5" 10" and find both extremely comfortable with reg in correct position.

Comparisonofdoubleheights.jpg

Steel 72 are great, I am 5'10' 160 and have no problems with them even without a BC.

You might want to consider these sets. I am 5" 10" and find both extremely comfortable with reg in correct position.

Looks like my OMS 66 is a good candidate - it's jsut 1 inch taller than your Lux 50

I' know guys dive LP72s , I'm trying to find a good set here but I think we have less of them here in Canada and so far I was not able to get a set :) But they seems to be much taller ? Those with 2200 pressure

So I have actually got the RAM from Bryan @ vintagedoublehose (thanks Bryan for the reg it looks awesome) and planning to test it today.

The question I have now to you guys is as follows.

As I understood correctly for the best performance I should have the regulator in between my blades. So the longer tanks are out of question thus my double HP100 and my wife's double LP85s will not work. I"m not even talking about AL80 :)

I have no idea why a 6 footer like you could not dive with double 72s or even quite a bit longer tanks. Just adjust them so they sit a little lower. Also, it's more important that the reg be close to your back than really low. When you're horizontal it doesn't really matter how low or high on your back it is.

IOW, choose the tanks you want, you'll make them fit. BTW, I have a nice USD center outlet manifold (j valve) I'd be happy to sell for $50+shipping. I bought it a while ago, I doubt I"ll ever use it. Single tank only for me with the doublehose. I don't know what shipping would be to canada.

You'll really enjoy the RAM; I have one and I love diving with it.

Nice thing about doubles is that the post can be down (and should be) so the regulator is even lower than when diving a single.

5'-10", 150 lbs. and love my 38s and 50s. Double 72s would probably be fine for a boat dive, but a bit heavy for the beach IMO. Too much air for the cold water around here anyway. I get chilled enough with a single 72 already.

As said before, 72s and 80s should be O.K. for you though. Just adjust the straps so they sit lower.

This photo brings up a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I see the bands allow for a center bolt to a backplate but did they ever make a band that would hold the two tanks right next to each other? I realise the manifold would then be about two" too long but I am wondering if in the early days (prebackplate) whether a different size manifold was used or if that space between tanks was always there?
I'll edit in a pick of my soft banded 72's to show you what I mean (in a minute).

Here it is:

Picture2.jpg

Did the first drive of the RAM today with the single OMS 66 tank and the plastic Healthways plate in the pool.
If only I was living south :D I would probably never put my dry suit and all the DIR stuff on again :D This double hose is addicting :) LP 66 sits very nice and everything trims out very well.

As I can see you use so many options (from LP72s to 38) looks like I should not have any problem with double 66. as I already have one tank I will just buy the second one. I can make one very nice dive and my wife would be able to do a couple of average ones. May be I can catch double 72s down the road.

P.S. My wife actually loved the reg as well so now I`m at risk of competing for the reg :D

I have no idea why a 6 footer like you could not dive with double 72s or even quite a bit longer tanks. Just adjust them so they sit a little lower. Also, it's more important that the reg be close to your back than really low. When you're horizontal it doesn't really matter how low or high on your back it is.

IOW, choose the tanks you want, you'll make them fit. BTW, I have a nice USD center outlet manifold (j valve) I'd be happy to sell for $50+shipping. I bought it a while ago, I doubt I"ll ever use it. Single tank only for me with the doublehose. I don't know what shipping would be to canada.

You'll really enjoy the RAM; I have one and I love diving with it.

My buddy has double 72s with the vintage manifold made for the DH, I will need to check it.

Sent you a message about the manifold, I`m interested in getting it.

Back
Top Bottom