Doubles question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault:
Just got a set of doubles I bought. Take a look at the picture and see what UPS did for me. The question is, it doesn't seem to leak but can it be trusted?

I swear, you could ship a canonball with them and they would lose or break it.

Mike

Who shipped doubles assembled? Don't people usually take them apart and plug the tanks?

mikerault:
Just got a set of doubles I bought. Take a look at the picture and see what UPS did for me. The question is, it doesn't seem to leak but can it be trusted?

Mike

See jeffs comment, but honestly even though we all know UPS sucks, you really expect to ship the doubles manifolded and them to make it unscathed?

I agree, I have filed a claim for replacement cost of the manifold. Of course they will probably say improper packing and wash their hands of it.

I guess when you have a near monopoly you treat people like merde.

Mike

Don't people usually take them apart and plug the tanks?

But then you get the fun I had . . . bought a set of doubles from SoCal, the guy disassembled them and put the tanks, bands and manifold in the same box. The tanks wrecked the bands. The tanks were full of rust by the time they got here and had to be tumbled again to be O2 clean. The valves were wrapped in newspaper and were covered with fibers and had to be recleaned. I had to replace the bands. I had $300 into this set before it was useable. Wasn't such a great deal after that.

If they were shipped dissasembled then they would need to be re-O2 cleaned.

Mike

mikerault:
If they were shipped dissasembled then they would need to be re-O2 cleaned.

Mike

Indeed.

I hope your claim with UPS works out, the best would be a new 'fold, O2 clean that and away you go.

I have been diving double aluminum 80's for some time now. In order to make them neutral, I put 4 pounds of sheet lead under the boot of each tank. This also helps with the trim. I use a stainless steel back plate and dive a dry suit with no additional weights. My manifold is a 200 bar sea elite set up for DIN Regs.

mikerault:

Mike

Seems to me they should have been packaged better. UPS can be rough, but why would you send assembled doubles without making sure they were packed solidly?

I'm wondering if the original owner may have dropped them OR for some reason picked them up by the manifold and bent it. The original owner may have not cared and it could have worked for him/her without issue.

It would bother me to the point of replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom