Doubles on a Jacket BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeraldjcook:
There are wings that work well for both singles and doubles. If you check http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml it list wings which are suitable for both.
Just because the manufacturer says they are suitable for both doesn't mean that they are ideal. In fact, in my experience a wing that will work for both doesn't do the job nearly as well as a wing that is dedicated for singles or a wing that is dedicated for doubles. YMMV.

xiSkiGuy:
Just because the manufacturer says they are suitable for both doesn't mean that they are ideal. In fact, in my experience a wing that will work for both doesn't do the job nearly as well as a wing that is dedicated for singles or a wing that is dedicated for doubles. YMMV.

Obviously, if a wing is ideal for singles it isn’t going to be ideal for doubles and vice-versa. I doubt there is a wing out there that is ideal for both singles and doubles. If you want a wing to work for both, compromises need to made. Yes, the Trek wing is perhaps a bit small for doubles (at least large steal tanks). Yes, the Rec wing is a bit large for a AL80 single, but it works just fine.

If you are interested in Dive Rite gear, give Larry at Scubatoys.com a ring. He’ll get you what you need and he’s very helpful.

FIXXERVI6:

Ah, so I don't know what I'm talking about unless I've dived both (which I have), but you, having only dived one, do? Something's wrong with your logic.

FIXXERVI6:
I"m never "shifting" my body to stay trimmed

I believe you are unaware of your body's movements, but it's virtually impossible to remain motionless when diving. You may not move much, many of us don't, but I don't buy the motionless story.

Walter:
Ah, so I don't know what I'm talking about unless I've dived both (which I have), but you, having only dived one, do? Something's wrong with your logic.

I believe you are unaware of your body's movements, but it's virtually impossible to remain motionless when diving. You may not move much, many of us don't, but I don't buy the motionless story.

obviously somethings wrong with my logic because you stated that if you use your gear to trim you out you have other issues, apparently I have other issues.

virtually impossible to remain motionless? sounds to me like you just need to work on your skills, oh but wait, if your rig is not trimmed out I guess you would be correct, it would be impossible to remain motionless.

dhampton82:
Thanks to the few of you that did attempt to answer my question.

The point of me asking the question was to find out if it would work......just trying to plan my options....do some kinda research be for I do pay $500 for a BP/W.

My reason for wondering about doing this was in thinking that maybe it would be possible to keep me from buying a $300 or how ever much singles wing. Than deciding 2 months later that I wanna go to doubles.

Yes you could say that "then you'd have to option of diving singles or doubles since you'd already have a singles wing."

But I do have and will still have my old BC that I am using now as my "option" for a singles set-up.

i’m not concerned with the my back plate is better than your jacket debate.
even less with i can dive better than you nonsense.
my concern is that our buddy wants to move on to doubles so early in his diving career.
i would first recommend some time in the water.
while doing so make some like minded friends.
when you know who you’ll be diving with and where you’ll be diving, you can rig appropriately.
get the training you need and the gear as you need it.
if your concern is over $300.00
then your in over your head already.

Unless you're doing something to maintain your position, you can't be any more motionless than the crud floating in the water.

Terry

FIXXERVI6:
obviously somethings wrong with my logic because you stated that if you use your gear to trim you out you have other issues, apparently I have other issues.

virtually impossible to remain motionless? sounds to me like you just need to work on your skills, oh but wait, if your rig is not trimmed out I guess you would be correct, it would be impossible to remain motionless.

Web Monkey:
Unless you're doing something to maintain your position, you can't be any more motionless than the crud floating in the water.

Terry

I am, I am breathing to stay neutraly bouant, but I do not need to move a leg or arm or what not to keep from rolling over or going feet down/head up etc. I don't understand why that is such a hard concept for people to grasp, if your feet heavy and you go motionless your feet drop, if your head heavy your feet go up, if your wing is jacked you'll roll, if all of this is dialed in and you stop moving, you don't move, its not rocket science, things as little as adjusting how high my can light rides effects this. OBVIOUSLY if there is current and you don't move you move with the current, the position of your fins etc will change the way your trim behaves in current. But I guess according to what Walter has to say having yoru rig trimmed in is just a waste of time because no matter what you have to move to stay trimmed, I call big time BS.

Akumal, no flow caves with silt, you DO have to hover for the most part motionless at times, the only part of you moving will be yoru hands doing tie offs etc, you better not be kickin around or flowndering a bit or your going to run a high risk of blowin out the vis. Twin cave in florida, the bottom of lake travis in TX, these are just a couple examples of where you can easily tell if your rig is trimmed out, if you have access to a pool try it, jump and and don't move, see how your body tilts and go from there. Or you can just say I have issues and have no idea what I"m talking about that trimming in a rig is just a waste of time, whatever floats your boat. But for "experienced" people to come on here and say some of the things they have said, well I gotta pick my jaw up, even DIR talks about being able to remain motionless during hover, no I'm not DIR.

You can't even stand on solid gound and remain motionless. There is a constant shifting to remain balanced. Close to motionless? Yes. Motionless? No. Delude yourself if you like.

Walter, it is useless--lol, on scubaboard the wing BP rules and everything else is stroke. I actually use a wing and bp and only see the modern version as an evolution of what we began using so long ago. You don't even need a BC or any of that to be in trim, it is the equipment that people depend on so nowadays that causes all the trim problems. Walter, like many, learned to dive before there was this dependency on equipment for trim--I tend to agree, it is an invented problem.

I use a wing and BP sometimes and do consider it a superior system but there are other options and I know for a fact many people have dived with doubles on jackets for years with good success just as they did with no BC at all.

Belly bags--lol----are you sure about that----I was diving in the caves using belly bags as you call them and still have the Dacor version with twin bags that puts the lift exactly at my belly. It really provides an excellent balance and streamlined configuration.

The wholesale march to the wing and BP is sometimes curious to me and why the big deal about it, the vast majority of divers don't even know what one is and never will. All of the modern travel restrictions and continuing reduction in carry on limits will probably always relegate the wing and metal backplate to techie equipment, it is just to impractical to carry on. Maybe reinvent the At Pac so that it acts as a suitcase with built in wheels--lol.

I would really like to see some data that proves the wing and BP is actually lower drag than a jacket or "belly" bag. I like the wing and BP because it is modular and mostly because it removes all restrictions from my front/chest area. More streamlined or balanced however, hmmmm, maybe, maybe not. N

Nemrod:
Walter, it is useless--lol, on scubaboard the wing BP rules and everything else is stroke. I actually use a wing and bp and only see the modern version as an evolution of what we began using so long ago. You don't even need a BC or any of that to be in trim, it is the equipment that people depend on so nowadays that causes all the trim problems. Walter, like many, learned to dive before there was this dependency on equipment for trim--I tend to agree, it is an invented problem.

I use a wing and BP sometimes and do consider it a superior system but there are other options and I know for a fact many people have dived with doubles on jackets for years with good success just as they did with no BC at all.

Belly bags--lol----are you sure about that----I was diving in the caves using belly bags as you call them and still have the Dacor version with twin bags that puts the lift exactly at my belly. It really provides an excellent balance and streamlined configuration.

The wholesale march to the wing and BP is sometimes curious to me and why the big deal about it, the vast majority of divers don't even know what one is and never will. All of the modern travel restrictions and continuing reduction in carry on limits will probably always relegate the wing and metal backplate to techie equipment, it is just to impractical to carry on. Maybe reinvent the At Pac so that it acts as a suitcase with built in wheels--lol.

I would really like to see some data that proves the wing and BP is actually lower drag than a jacket or "belly" bag. I like the wing and BP because it is modular and mostly because it removes all restrictions from my front/chest area. More streamlined or balanced however, hmmmm, maybe, maybe not. N

Your observation is pretty much right on our board. :wink:

One diving philosophy.
One gear configuration
One type of diving equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom