Doubles on a Jacket BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Which is meaningless.

Ya OK, Newtonian physics is meaningless.

Walter:
What do you want shared? If you want me to demonstrate or teach you, come on down.

Exchanges on this board are primarily via text, with perhaps some photos. Is it not obvious that when I invited you to share I ment here on ScubaBoard?

Is this something you are unable, or unwilling to describe?

Tobin

Jasonmh:
Everything I can think of to adjust your trim is "equipment", what are you using?
Backplate, weights, weighted sta, v-weights, air bladders, ankle weights, etc. are all equipment, and used by people to adjust trim...

Yes... divers do use all of those things just as you suggest... and they work.

But Walter is talking about skill and ability... the kinda things you can't buy... the kinda things you only get with some time in the water.

Before you all blow off what Walter has to say you should consider his HUGE amount of knowledge and experience. It should at least give you cause to think.

According to the Dacor website, the hemisphere only has 29# of lift in medium, 31# in large, and 35# in XL. I have a Seaquest Pro QD, on which you can mount doubles, but it has almost 50# of lift. With that little of lift, I doubt you BC was designed for doubles. Not that you couldn't do it anyway.

I thought perhaps someone should try to answer your question.

dhampton82:
I was wondering if there is a way to mount doubles onto a Jacket Style BC?

I am currently diving a Dacor Hemisphere and eventually want to go to doubles on a BP/W setup.

I was thinking that if I could go to the doubles now with my Jacket BC then when I decide to go to the BP/W, I can just get a setup with a doubles wing instead of getting the BP/W with a singles wing then later getting the doubles wing when I go to the doubles....

Any info on if I can do this?
Hey Dustin,

Sure, you can do it. Like Ron Brandt, my first set of doubles was a set of double 50s on a Dacor BC in 1982. When I got stateside (I was overseas with the military at the time) I switched to a set of 63s on a Sherwood BC. I also used a set of 80s on that same BC, but that wasn't something I'd recommend: as the tanks get heavier, the BC lacks the support of the tight harness that a backplate provides and the tanks can slide around a bit (unless you're wearing your little brother's BC :) ).

So, doubles on a BC is generally more comfortable with a smaller set of doubles, but it certainly can be done.

If you've been reading the thread, though, you recognize there are a few things to consider. Along with finding a pretty robust BC, and a (black plastic) backplate in the BC that can be drilled for the holes for the bolts, you're looking for a set of tank bands that have "bows" on them - that is, there is a curved bit of steel welded to each set of bands that fits into the 'concavity' in the plastic backplate where a single tank would fit. This allows you to secure the tanks and manifold in the bands, then fit the bands themselves to the backplate and bolt them into position. You may need to get longer or shorter bolts, nuts, and washers: try to find a plumbing supply shop near where you live that will provide stainless steel hardware.

But I dove with a set of small tanks (50s and 63s) for over twenty years on one BC or another, and I had a lot of fun with them.

I won't go into what you want them for. Depending on what type of diving you're looking at doing they may be less well suited than other rigs, but for recreational diving, photography, etc. a set of small doubles on a BC can a great option.

Hope this helps,

Doc

Even if you CAN mount doubles to your BCD, the question is WHY????

You'll probably end up wanting to have both a single tank rig and a doubles rig. In spite of what many post about a backplate being usable for both, in practice the wing is expensive enough, and it is enough hassle to change things out that most divers that use both doubles and single tanks have a separate rig for both.

My recommendation is to just keep your BCD for singles; and get backplate with a wing suitable for doubles.

cool_hardware52:
Ya OK, Newtonian physics is meaningless.

Nope, but your point is meaningless. It doesn't matter if "the center of mass is above the center of lift, unless the wing wraps the tanks." It doesn't affect the dive.

cool_hardware52:
Exchanges on this board are primarily via text, with perhaps some photos. Is it not obvious that when I invited you to share I ment here on ScubaBoard?

Is this something you are unable, or unwilling to describe?

Tobin

I don't know if I'm able to describe it or not until I know what you want me to describe. Wanna give me a hint?

Charlie99:

You'll probably end up wanting to have both a single tank rig and a doubles rig. In spite of what many post about a backplate being usable for both, in practice the wing is expensive enough, and it is enough hassle to change things out that most divers that use both doubles and single tanks have a separate rig for both.

Perhaps you've answered your own question. I use a ½ inch nut driver and a ½ wrench to switch from twins to a single with my SP Classic Sport. It takes me about 2 or 3 minutes (I've never timed it) and it's easy - no hassle.

Charlie99:

My recommendation is to just keep your BCD for singles; and get backplate with a wing suitable for doubles.

Why not?

If you are driving a sedan, you need to pull the small trailer with whatever reason you have. So, you rent the small one from the U-haul. But, someone said you need to get the SUV or Truck for that. Are you going to buy the SUV or Truck for the small trailer? If someone needs to pull the trailer everyday base, I agree with you, but if not, why?

The initial question is about the double set fits to the jacket BC. Only few members has done it. But, the replies are all about the BP/W. LOL~~~~

Walter:
Nope, but your point is meaningless. It doesn't matter if "the center of mass is above the center of lift, unless the wing wraps the tanks." It doesn't affect the dive.

If this is true why did the early cave divers abandon the "belly bags" in favor of back mounted BC's?

Walter:
I don't know if I'm able to describe it or not until I know what you want me to describe. Wanna give me a hint?

Sure, you have implied that technique can compensate for gear that is either head heavy or butt heavy. Can you describe the techniques?

Tobin

Well, caving is different than open water diving, obviously. I've dived doubles (independent AL 80s) in open water on standard BCs for years, including the Scubapro Classic, with no problems at all. In fact, I like the BC much better in open water than that of a BP/W for a variety of reasons. But, for caving, I use BP/W (DSS) because trim control is so much more important in overhead than in any other dive profile, and back inflate simply works better in maintaining that trim than a BC.

cool_hardware52:
If this is true why did the early cave divers abandon the "belly bags" in favor of back mounted BC's?

I've never even heard of "belly bags."

cool_hardware52:
Sure, you have implied that technique can compensate for gear that is either head heavy or butt heavy. Can you describe the techniques?

Tobin

Sure. It's merely a matter of leaning forward and lifting your legs or leaning back while lowering your legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom