Doubles on a Jacket BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Adaptor plate? Why would you need an adaptor plate? I dive with no adaptor plate and I've yet to see a setup more stable.

Your wings wrap around your tanks? Did you actually think about that before you wrote it? Talk about a useless "feature"........

If you are equipment dependent to adjust your trim, you have bigger problems than what BC to use.

like WOW MAN, I guess I must be super bad diver as I use the adjustment of my rig to dial in my trim, I go completely motionless my rig trims out perfect, I don't have to move, kick, stick my leg out to counter balance any of that garb, its called building a proper rig that is trimmed and balanced, not a new concept but I guess I have bigger problems then that, amazing.

What cave?

The thread opener is 24 years old and only eight logs so far. We need to think about the cave option here? :wink:

Walter:
A BP/W in in no way superior to a well designed vest for doubles. The only advantage of a BP/Wing for doubles is you can get greater lift by switching wings if you go to monster doubles. For normal size tanks, a vest is fine. I avoid jacket BCs myself, the sleeves annoy the hell out of me.

Maybe you should go up to visit cool hardware and learn to dive a backplate and wing for doubles since you think the only advantage it provides is for more lift.

May I ask what your experience is with doubles and back plates? what kinds of rigs did you dive and under what conditions lead you to beleive these things?

Walter:
Sure. It's merely a matter of leaning forward and lifting your legs or leaning back while lowering your legs.

Why when you can build a balanced/trimmed out rig and you don't have to do either.

I believe the sherwood Avid will work with small doubles, but I wouldn't do it, if for any reason the cost alone.

FIXXERVI6:
Maybe you should go up to visit cool hardware and learn to dive a backplate and wing for doubles since you think the only advantage it provides is for more lift.

May I ask what your experience is with doubles and back plates? what kinds of rigs did you dive and under what conditions lead you to beleive these things?

I've dived BP/W with twins. They were fine and worked exactly like my vest. What's your experience diving twins with a vest?

FIXXERVI6:
Why when you can build a balanced/trimmed out rig and you don't have to do either.

Of course you do. Unless you are stilling in absolutely motionless water (virtually impossible, BTW), you will be moved around by currents, surge, waves, even passing divers. If you aren't constantly shifting your body, your trim will disappear regardless of what you do to "trim" your gear.

Walter:
I've dived BP/W with twins. They were fine and worked exactly like my vest. What's your experience diving twins with a vest?

Of course you do. Unless you are stilling in absolutely motionless water (virtually impossible, BTW), you will be moved around by currents, surge, waves, even passing divers. If you aren't constantly shifting your body, your trim will disappear regardless of what you do to "trim" your gear.

None, diving singles in a vest then swtiching to a back inflate then finally to BP was enough to teach me.

I have been in no flow caves where yes it was very possible to remain motionless in the water and have done just that, moving around to stay trimmed in a no flow cave full of silt is a bad thing, even in caves with some flow I can be moving with the flow and can tell if my trim is off, also in lakes, quarries, and even in some ocean dives with some current I can tell, and you know its amazing even in high flow caves pushing me out I"m never "shifting" my body to stay trimmed, and diving doubles and a wing makes for one super stable platform as far as rolling goes, that would be related to a little bit of wing rolling up on the outsides of my tanks.

Thanks to the few of you that did attempt to answer my question.

The point of me asking the question was to find out if it would work......just trying to plan my options....do some kinda research be for I do pay $500 for a BP/W.

My reason for wondering about doing this was in thinking that maybe it would be possible to keep me from buying a $300 or how ever much singles wing. Than deciding 2 months later that I wanna go to doubles.

Yes you could say that "then you'd have to option of diving singles or doubles since you'd already have a singles wing."

But I do have and will still have my old BC that I am using now as my "option" for a singles set-up.

BTW, I am up to about 25 dives now. I know that I am not skilled enuff yet for the doubles, but like I said, this is just something I was thinking of for future planning.

dhampton82:
My reason for wondering about doing this was in thinking that maybe it would be possible to keep me from buying a $300 or how ever much singles wing. Than deciding 2 months later that I wanna go to doubles.

There are wings that work well for both singles and doubles. If you check http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml it list wings which are suitable for both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom