Doubles on a Jacket BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
A BP/W in in no way superior to a well designed vest for doubles. The only advantage of a BP/Wing for doubles is you can get greater lift by switching wings if you go to monster doubles. For normal size tanks, a vest is fine. I avoid jacket BCs myself, the sleeves annoy the hell out of me.
I disagree. Besides selecting a wing with more or less lift, you can select a wing that is appropriately shaped to slightly wrap around the tanks. Most wings also have multiple mounting positions that allow you to adjust your trim.

The BP/W system is also modular. If you puncture that "vest" (as you like to call it when you are fining around :D), the whole thing goes for repair. I just switch wings.

Additionally, in all applications that I've seen, the standard 11" mounting to a BP/W was considerably more stable than any afterthought BC adaptor plate.

Adaptor plate? Why would you need an adaptor plate? I dive with no adaptor plate and I've yet to see a setup more stable.

Your wings wrap around your tanks? Did you actually think about that before you wrote it? Talk about a useless "feature"........

If you are equipment dependent to adjust your trim, you have bigger problems than what BC to use.

Walter:
If you are equipment dependent to adjust your trim, you have bigger problems than what BC to use.

Everything I can think of to adjust your trim is "equipment", what are you using?
Backplate, weights, weighted sta, v-weights, air bladders, ankle weights, etc. are all equipment, and used by people to adjust trim...

Walter:
Your wings wrap around your tanks? Did you actually think about that before you wrote it? Talk about a useless "feature"........

Walter, I carefully consider what I post in public prior to doing so. Wings do wrap the tanks a bit, that's both an inescapable result of the design, and a benefit. Most Tanks are negative, some very negative when full. Exposure suits are positive. This creates a turning moment that wants to flip the diver over. If the wings wrap the tanks it provides buoyant lift that is above the center of mass of the negative tanks. That either reduces or greatly eliminates the turning moment.

Walter:

You are correct in saying that technique can overcome a poorly trimmed rig, but why fight it? I'd much rather have a well trimmed rig that allows me to relax and stay in trim.

Tobin

Walter:
Adaptor plate? Why would you need an adaptor plate? I dive with no adaptor plate and I've yet to see a setup more stable.
So your "vest" came stock with holes on 11" spacing? Or are you diving double AL6s wrapped in your stock BC cam band?:D

Walter:
See Tobin's response.

Walter:
When I stop fining I prefer to have my weight and lift balanced so that I effortlessly remain horizontal.

The ScubaPro Classic and Classic + takes doubles.

You just unthread the strap and bolt them on with the same bands you would use for anything else. The mounting holes are already there, although most people don't notice them

Terry

dhampton82:
I was wondering if there is a way to mount doubles onto a Jacket Style BC?

I am currently diving a Dacor Hemisphere and eventually want to go to doubles on a BP/W setup.

I was thinking that if I could go to the doubles now with my Jacket BC then when I decide to go to the BP/W, I can just get a setup with a doubles wing instead of getting the BP/W with a singles wing then later getting the doubles wing when I go to the doubles....

Any info on if I can do this?

Dustin

cool_hardware52:
Most Tanks are negative, some very negative when full. Exposure suits are positive. This creates a turning moment that wants to flip the diver over. If the wings wrap the tanks it provides buoyant lift that is above the center of mass of the negative tanks. That either reduces or greatly eliminates the turning moment.
That's other of main reasons I'm changing to BP/W. The second one is to get rid of the unusefull pockets and tingeltangel hanging around the (like most of them do) west.
Tobin, you got my email?

cool_hardware52:
Walter, I carefully consider what I post in public prior to doing so. Wings do wrap the tanks a bit, that's both an inescapable result of the design, and a benefit. Most Tanks are negative, some very negative when full. Exposure suits are positive. This creates a turning moment that wants to flip the diver over. If the wings wrap the tanks it provides buoyant lift that is above the center of mass of the negative tanks. That either reduces or greatly eliminates the turning moment.

You are correct in saying that technique can overcome a poorly trimmed rig, but why fight it? I'd much rather have a well trimmed rig that allows me to relax and stay in trim.

Tobin

The tendancy to flip a diver over is a problem with negative singles. The act of twinning them eliminates it. I can see why you might want a wing with a big single tank, but not doubles.

As long as your weight is between your shoulders and your waist, position is mostly irrelevant. It's an invented problem - fighting not necessary.

xiSkiGuy:
So your "vest" came stock with holes on 11" spacing? Or are you diving double AL6s wrapped in your stock BC cam band?

I haven't measured them sine I made my bands in 1989, but the spacing doesn't really matter, I dilled the holes to fit the holes in the BC.

xiSkiGuy:
When I stop fining I prefer to have my weight and lift balanced so that I effortlessly remain horizontal.

I discourage finning, shark populations are declining way to fast. If I were to start finning, I'd do it on the deck of a boat, not in the water with the sharks, so the BC is irrelevant.

Walter:
The tendancy to flip a diver over is a problem with negative singles. The act of twinning them eliminates it. I can see why you might want a wing with a big single tank, but not doubles.

Doubles do increase the polar moment over that of a big single, but the fact remains that the center of mass is above the center of lift, unless the wing wraps the tanks.

Walter:
As long as your weight is between your shoulders and your waist, position is mostly irrelevant. It's an invented problem - fighting not necessary.

That's not my experience, or that of most divers I have encountered. Care to share?

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Doubles do increase the polar moment over that of a big single, but the fact remains that the center of mass is above the center of lift, unless the wing wraps the tanks.

Which is meaningless.

cool_hardware52:
That's not my experience, or that of most divers I have encountered. Care to share?

Tobin

What do you want shared? If you want me to demonstrate or teach you, come on down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom