DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they would have to come up with a new permanent designation for the exemption/special permit tanks to be grandfathered in (similar to how SP6498 were converted to 3AL notwithstanding the alloy issue that cropped up later)

buying your own compressor is the last resort option, same route CCR guys have to go to use the european spec dil/o2 cylinders

Yeah, just like other non-DOT cylinders they don't have to be condemned, they are "just" not permitted by the DOT "... for use in the transportation of certain nonflammable, non-liquefied compressed gases transportation in commerce."

Any thoughts on whether or not we may in the future run into similar issues with the Worthington exemption? I own four Worthington E7 exemption cylinders that I’d love to not have to replace.

Is there a way around PST applying for it? Can we as individuals apply or are they scrap now? Is there a way to check for when they are renewed?

Is there a way around PST applying for it? Can we as individuals apply or are they scrap now? Is there a way to check for when they are renewed?

I believe the holder of the exemption, the manufacturer, is the one that needs to apply. I don’t think anybody else can do that.

I believe the holder of the exemption, the manufacturer, is the one that needs to apply. I don’t think anybody else can do that.

Actually, I believe that you can request a personal exemption.. in which case they write something to PST and PST does something about it.

I have no idea how this is done, but I think it was @tbone1004 that told me that?

I am super lazy.. I'll either wait for PST to get up off their ass, or one of you to push through for the rest of us! I own something like 18 PST tanks.. I'd be pissed if I didn't have a compressor.

I suppose someone who is motivated might just email the DOT and ask? The relevant code contains an email (and fax...) for the special permit office. The worst case is they say no or ignore you.

My lay reading is it's not required that the original manufacture is the one that applies, but you might need a PE to sign off that there have been no material changes and the specifications in the original application remain correct.

Section (b) also explains how you apply so there is no gap in permit, it wasn't immediately obvious to me if there was a way to check what applications are awaiting administrative action.

Back
Top Bottom