Don't be too proud to ask for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
OK, so I partied way too hard during Carnivale in Coz, but at least I knew it, and decided to sit by the pool all day and catch some sun. As I'm lying there, trying to rationalize why I drank so much that I couldn't go diving, a man and woman haul some tanks over to the steps to do a shore dive. I'm watching them; sipping on a little hair of the dog because I know it will make me feel a little better and I won't be diving that day.
Anyway, they start putting their gear together. First they put the BC's onto the tanks...backwards. They have a little argument over it, and the guy wins so they leave them on backwards. Then they put the regulators on backwards and upside down. Another little argument ensues, and once again the guy wins. At this point, the inflator hose is crossed over the tank, and you wouldn't be able to control your buoyancy unless you were a contortionist.
I figure what the heck, I'm a divecon, and it’s my obligation to politely point these things out to them. Besides, I have to go to the bathroom anyway, which is past where they are standing. As I walk past, I ask if they would like any help. The guy who has now won the past two arguments lets me know that they have been diving for years, and that I should mind my own business. Now, I'm not that proud of person, but I figure if this guy dies, at least he is going to die knowing that he is right. So I leave them and go to the bathroom.
When I walk past them on the way back to my refreshing beverage, the woman asks me "Why did you ask if we needed any help?" To which I responded, "Well, I've been sitting over there watching you put your gear together upside down and backwards, but I figured since your husband here knew what he was doing you guys must be from south of the equator where your toilets flush the other way." and I went back and drank my beer. It was quite humorous to watch them try and figure out exactly what they had done wrong. I know I was a smart ***, but they could have at least thanked me :D

Cute.
My first few dives I did the same thing. One of the instructor's girfriend watched, chuckled, and helped me get it right before my instructor saw what I did.
I get it right every time now, but being a bit dykslexic, I go slow and double check everything. They'll wait for me, and I'll live to tell about it.

I'm NEVER afraid to ask for help!
Barbara

I would sometimes put the bc in the wrong postition,and would only find out when i rig my reg up. It would cost me some ribbing from my instructors and buddies.Asking for help is not a problem, but getting help IS a problem. My instructors would be busy with the new divers and the DMs would be prepping for the dive to attach the line.
After i rig up, i would get the Dm to give it a double check before going for the briefing
"Ask and it will be given" dont be shy to ask!
Safe diving now...
Darren

When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone
I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind
I've opened up the doors

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me

kent_1848:
OK, so I partied way too hard during Carnivale in Coz, but at least I knew it, and decided to sit by the pool all day and catch some sun. As I'm lying there, trying to rationalize why I drank so much that I couldn't go diving, a man and woman haul some tanks over to the steps to do a shore dive. I'm watching them; sipping on a little hair of the dog because I know it will make me feel a little better and I won't be diving that day.
Anyway, they start putting their gear together. First they put the BC's onto the tanks...backwards. They have a little argument over it, and the guy wins so they leave them on backwards.

<snip>

When I walk past them on the way back to my refreshing beverage, the woman asks me "Why did you ask if we needed any help?" To which I responded, "Well, I've been sitting over there watching you put your gear together upside down and backwards, but I figured since your husband here knew what he was doing you guys must be from south of the equator where your toilets flush the other way." and I went back and drank my beer. It was quite humorous to watch them try and figure out exactly what they had done wrong. I know I was a smart ***, but they could have at least thanked me :D

ROFLMAO!!!

That's the best post I'm likely to read all day.........

They have an arguement and the guy wins, so they leave them on backwards........

LMAO!!!

I loved that line "At least he died knowing he was right." OK, I'll admit that I do sometimes get confused setting up my gear. When I was taught how to do it back in '83, we always set up behind our tank. That way, we knew "The reg goes on the right...yada yada." But sometimes on boats, you set up facing your tank, so I really have to think about the set up of my reg. Always confusing my right and my left anyway (I'm one of those people who, when giving directions will say "Go down to the corner and make a right" and then point left) I really have to stop and think about it. When someone tries to help me, they sometimes get mixed up if they don't look at my gear closely because I had my first stage configured upside down because I'm short, and if the BC is too low on the tank, I bump my head. To make matters worse, on my last trip (a liveaboard in Thailand) I first began to set up my gear with the tank bungeed on the tank holder, then for some reason I can't remember, I got a different tank and began to set up on the deck with it facing away from me, but continued to set up as if I was facing the front. The DM said to me, "You're doing it backward" and I felt like a total idiot.
Anyway, I welcome any help I can get. Sometimes I really need it. :D

Easy fix.... Take the tank and turn it around so you're behind it! When you're done, rotate to "BC Forward" position and secure!

Rachel

Tollie:
When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone
I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind
I've opened up the doors

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me

The IPOD queued this up just as I was reading it, freaky!

The saying, "Often wrong but never in doubt", comes to mind.

Any married woman recognizes the, "I'm sure he's wrong but the argument is not worth the misery" situation :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom