Don't be too proud to ask for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not married Lynne but I hope my wife never has to say that about me.:D

haha, I was just thinking that...about you....I could fill in? (except I have never seen you be wrong)

I had never heard that one, Lynne.

:lol::lol::lol: This was a great story! I think we've all made mistakes at some point or another, but this guy was a yutz in every sense of the word! :lol:

TSandM:
The saying, "Often wrong but never in doubt", comes to mind.

That describes my late grandfather perfectly. Same guy that got mad if there were crumbs in the butter! Can't say I miss him.

Don't let that situation discourage you from offering help in the future. Your assistance may one day save a life. On my dive at Grand Cayman a few weeks back, the DM told the group to meet at the mooring ball and we would all decend. Several people on the boat were from the cruise ship and it was obvious that they were a little rusty. Well my son, daughter and I proceeded to the mooring ball and there was a moderate surface current. It was a little work getting there. Well this one guy was trying to make his way and I could tell he was having a rough time. He finally made it and was all out of breath. He was grabbing and struggling to hold on the line from the mooring ball to the boat. I could see that he was on the verg of full blown panic. I asked how he was doing all I got was a wide eyed uugh. I went to him and said," Can I check your bc"? Uh hu. He did not have any air in it and was strugling to stay up. I inflated his vest told him to roll over and rest. I would hold on to him. After a couple of minutes, he caught his breath and relaxed. He was good for the dive and I watched him as well as my kids. Back on the boat after a great dive, He announced to the whole boat that he wanted to thank me for my help. He admitted he was in a panic and " everything had become blurry to him". So, there are good people out there who appreciate kind assistance.

Misplaced Priority:
Don't let that situation discourage you from offering help in the future. Your assistance may one day save a life. On my dive at Grand Cayman a few weeks back, the DM told the group to meet at the mooring ball and we would all decend. Several people on the boat were from the cruise ship and it was obvious that they were a little rusty. Well my son, daughter and I proceeded to the mooring ball and there was a moderate surface current. It was a little work getting there. Well this one guy was trying to make his way and I could tell he was having a rough time. He finally made it and was all out of breath. He was grabbing and struggling to hold on the line from the mooring ball to the boat. I could see that he was on the verg of full blown panic. I asked how he was doing all I got was a wide eyed uugh. I went to him and said," Can I check your bc"? Uh hu. He did not have any air in it and was strugling to stay up. I inflated his vest told him to roll over and rest. I would hold on to him. After a couple of minutes, he caught his breath and relaxed. He was good for the dive and I watched him as well as my kids. Back on the boat after a great dive, He announced to the whole boat that he wanted to thank me for my help. He admitted he was in a panic and " everything had become blurry to him". So, there are good people out there who appreciate kind assistance.

Good job, MP! *applauding* :)

Misplaced Priority:

Good on you!

And let's credit the other diver for having the sense to realize he had been helped in a situation. I've seen folks deny they needed help even when it was so obvious.

First time I used a DIN valve...confused the heck out of me... I knew it screwed in, but that was about it...and the ability to spin in every which direction didn't help out any either. I got everything "setup" hoses were on the right side at least, but my buddy informed me it was on backward, and maybe upside down... all I could think was, ok reg goes behind my head so I don't bang it on the yolk screw....no yolk screw, so do I turn the tank around? didn't see why not, take away the head hazard and everything reached.... I just laughed and told him it threw me for a loop. I love the things now, not sure why....maybe it's just the HP's I like, more air the better.

Misplaced Priority:
... there are good people out there who appreciate kind assistance.
And, thankfully, some good people out there who are willing to provide it. Good work.

Willie

kent_1848:
.........you guys must be from south of the equator where your toilets flush the other way."

may i say that there is nothing wrong with OUR toilets flushing the correct way... its you guys that drive on the wrong side of the road thats confused :)

but yeah - ive seen it myself but must admit i usually stand back and watch the show for a bit, to see if they get it right, before speaking up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom