donald trump developement in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... I'd be happy to go there and give any of Donald's girls a "second chance." Of course I'd prefer he just stay in New York, or focus on doing battle with Rosie.

I ran into my personal physician this evening, who is from Mexico. We chatted a bit about my recent trip to Coz, and this development. He told me that beaches cannot be owned, but are property of the Federdal government - kinda like Texas & beaches. I wonder how Coz beach clubs operate exactly? In Texas, the club can own the property behind the beach and charge for parking, but in Coz they charge for admission, don't they? Maybe the clubs are considered beachfront property. I understand they now charge for docking; I wonder if they can do that for beach landings?

He also said that a foreign national cannot own beachfront property, but I guess Mr.Trump can own a Mexican corporation to own the resort. Could othrs still make legal beach landings there...??

Here's the question. If you don't agree with this, what do you do about it? You aren't tax-paying citizens of Cozumel and Mexico (at least most of you). So we are pinning a lot of hope and putting a lot of responsibility on the shoulders of those who are to express their opposition. That doesn't stop you from at least writing letters to political leaders in Mexico, if it matters a lot to you. Or contributing to local Cozumel ecological groups who can mount a local voice. I've never been a big fan of internet rants. I'm more in favour of finding the most effective lobbying actions and then getting involved. Maybe Christi or one of the other locals would have some advice as to how to best do that. Local politics can be tricky, I'm sure.

ggunn:
Any comment I would have would be filtered by the software and might get me banned from the 'board... ;^(

DITTO!

I wonder - Would it help if a massive letter writing campaign of scuba divers began writing the honorable Gustavo Ortega Joaquin & town council members telling them we will only continue to spend our diving vacations and dollars in an unspoiled (well, no more so than it is now with all the cruise ships) Cozumel with beautiful, undeveloped beaches on the East side?
Since dollars seem to get their attention, let them weigh the economic impact of that!
I'm serious about this, and would be willing to help organize this effort.
Think about how many websites/boards there are that we all know about. With everyone's help, word would spread quickly and world-wide. Just a simple, strongly worded email (we could have a 'form letter' available to cut and paste) sent to the proper people could make quite an impression.
It would be even better if we could enlist the help of our friends/dive operators in Cozumel! And, what about the commerical properties that already exist-- do they support this development? Maybe they woud be willling to join in the campaign too?

I had the opportunity to dive on the East side of the island and later enjoy a margarita at one of the small beach bars a few days ago. It was lovely. I could have easily spent all day enjoying the unspoiled beauty. On our way to the diving drop off point on the East side, I learned of Donald Trump's plans. As we drove beside the beautiful, unspoiled jungle, I remember feeling so very sad knowing it would be destroyed in the name of economic 'progress.' Maybe it doesn't have to. What do you say fellow SB'ers? Do you wish to consider this a 'call to action?'

Landlocked Missourian:
I wonder - Would it help if a massive letter writing campaign of scuba divers began writing the honorable Gustavo Ortega Joaquin & town council members telling them we will only continue to spend our diving vacations and dollars in an unspoiled (well, no more so than it is now with all the cruise ships) Cozumel with beautiful, undeveloped beaches on the East side?

How many letters do you think Trump can afford to write? I mean, sure, I'll write, but I wouldn't expect it to do any more good than picking a fight with Big Money (make that Huge Money) anywhere else.

More harm than good because people that really don't have all the facts will be causing more "ruckus" on the internet...opening up more speculation, more jumping to conclusions, and just more negativity in general.

I can't articulate this the way I want to without going into GREAT detail or using some strong language :) However, I'll try to summarize it the best I can. Please understand that this is not an all-inclusive or exhaustive summary of my feelings or thoughts on this in ANY way...so please don't read into this, don't speculate, and please don't analyze what I am or am not saying. I'm going to be VERY general and non-specific here.

I DO NOT support this development. Unfortunately, the ugly truth is that there's not alot I or anyone can really do about it. Politicians and developers have the money and the power...which tend to be one in the same in these situations.

Change is the only constant in this world. Just like SH*# happens, development happens.

Will this development affect the overall economy of the island? I'm sure it will...whether the impact is negative or positive remains to be seen.

Will you the average tourist/traveler/visitor be affected? Minimally, at least for many years to come...unless you decide to patronize or stay in one of the fancy schmancy hotels proposed to be over there....in which case you have no room to gripe. This development is in an area that most of you didn't even think about or even knew existed until this news came about. So what do you really care? All of a sudden we have people dooming the island for a little development in an area never visited anyway.

Do I think people will stay confined in that one area? Of course not, but there will be many ammenities there that won't give them reason to flock to town everyday.

I would much rather see development ON the island than more cruise ships. At least these people will be contributing to the local economy.

The good news is that it is on the opposite side of the island as the majority of the reefs.

It hasn't even been approved yet...so let's all stop jumping to conclusions and speculating what it will or won't do to/for the island and how it will affect your vacations.

Off the :soapbox:

Landlocked Missourian:
Since dollars seem to get their attention, let them weigh the economic impact of that!
I'm serious about this, and would be willing to help organize this effort.
Think about how many websites/boards there are that we all know about. With everyone's help, word would spread quickly and world-wide. Just a simple, strongly worded email (we could have a 'form letter' available to cut and paste) sent to the proper people could make quite an impression.
It would be even better if we could enlist the help of our friends/dive operators in Cozumel! And, what about the commerical properties that already exist-- do they support this development? Maybe they woud be willling to join in the campaign too?

I had the opportunity to dive on the East side of the island and later enjoy a margarita at one of the small beach bars a few days ago. It was lovely. I could have easily spent all day enjoying the unspoiled beauty. On our way to the diving drop off point on the East side, I learned of Donald Trump's plans. As we drove beside the beautiful, unspoiled jungle, I remember feeling so very sad knowing it would be destroyed in the name of economic 'progress.' Maybe it doesn't have to. What do you say fellow SB'ers? Do you wish to consider this a 'call to action?'

The island would be much better off, ecologically, if everyone stopped traveling to Cozumel for vacation. If no one traveled there, the resorts could close and revert back to a natural state. All of the congestion and pollution from taxi's and dive boats would not exist, and a whole lot of seafood could be swimming around in the ocean instead of in the stomach of some gringo tourist. The reefs would be much better off without a bunch of tourist divers bumping into them with their cameras and kicking them with their fins.

Who's with me? Anyone? Anyone?

How would you respond if someone who visits your city for one week each year started writing letters to your mayor telling him/her what kind of development they think would be OK in your hometown? I think the letters would be placed in the circular file.......

fireflock:
How would you respond if someone who visits your city for one week each year started writing letters to your mayor telling him/her what kind of development they think would be OK in your hometown? I think the letters would be placed in the circular file.......

:rofl3: :yelclap:

This development is in an area that most of you didn't even think about or even knew existed until this news came about. So what do you really care? All of a sudden we have people dooming the island for a little development in an area never visited anyway.

So we sit back and cheer. I will be the first to admitt this project likely will come to pass. The Puerta Maya had the majority of the local population against it but it was built. Likely as not this mega project will go down. But it will destroy one of the remaining special places of Cozumel. A virgin reef system (Hannan Atoles) wildlife, turtle nesting area etc. And the little detail of how many construction workers will be envolved in building this exclusive resort. If you don't think that will impact the other part of the island then you have not looked at Playa recently.

Back
Top Bottom