donald trump developement in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus:
Last week a planned 300 million dollar developement in the north end of Cozumel was announced. It would extend from Mesaclitos upto the north tip of Cozumel creating a developement for "personas de alto poder adquisitivo." (lets just say for the very wealthy.) It could include upto 400 new hotel or condo rooms, golf courses marina, air strip etc. What this will do to the environment is too scary to imagine. First step will be to change environmental laws which protect this zone for the time being. The current mayor of Cozumel is pushing this project. The story has not been reported in the states so far.

You can see one report at this link (its in Spanish). http://www.arquired.com.mx/boletin/shwClipping.ared?kID=363b232b

Nothing is finalized yet....and they ahave alot of hoops to go through before it is approved...if it is approved.

For those of you who are unclear, this proposed development will be the northern end of the island, north of Mezcalitos...where no one visits anyway (not that I support it). Of course there will be environmental impacts...but to say that the diving will be affected or that San Miguel will be more croweded is inaccurate IMO. (I don't support this development BTW).

I'll say it again...I am not in support of this development in any way...just want to make that very clear....I just hate to see people getting all worked up about things based on an article or two in the Cozumel paper...because we all know how factual it is:shakehead

94GTStang:
Dam-n that sucks. I like Coz being that small little quiet island I can go run off to. Why couldn't he just have built it in the already crappy Cancun?

This won't affect you the tourist...the development will be self-contained if it goes forward as planned.

I just oppose it for the environmental impact.

That's the first one, if it makes money the rest of the developers will be heading there to cash in. My guess is that it won't be a success.

Christi:
This won't affect you the tourist...the development will be self-contained if it goes forward as planned.

I just oppose it for the environmental impact.

So, do you think the mega-rich with their Hummers are going to stay holed up in their compound? Do you think the East Side south of the development will stay just as rustic as it is today? Do you think that life on the rest of the island will stay blissfully unaffected?

Maybe so, but I have my doubts. I try to not worry about stuff I can't do anything about, but it's hard sometimes.

Well, I guess this would be good financially for many of the residents but it would be bad for the diving population that come play. The real looser would be the environment. Usually $'s wins out over environment anywhere in the world. At least the development is on the north end. This will most likely drive the prices for everything up including food, taxis, diving, shops, etc. Just look what happened at other areas in Mexico before and after like Cancun, Cabo, Riviera, etc. Does anyone remember what Coz was like pre pod?

ronski101:
Well, I guess this would be good financially for many of the residents but it would be bad for the diving population that come play. The real looser would be the environment. Usually $'s wins out over environment anywhere in the world. At least the development is on the north end. This will most likely drive the prices for everything up including food, taxis, diving, shops, etc. Just look what happened at other areas in Mexico before and after like Cancun, Cabo, Riviera, etc. Does anyone remember what Coz was like pre pod?

My first trip to Cozumel was in 1978. I remember.

I thought that the east coast of Cozumel was a wildlife preserve for endangered sea turtles. So much for that. Let 'em eat cake.

stop and think what a project of this size means. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of workers coming over to Cozumel to work on the project, many with families i imagine. Imagine Playa del Caremen and the urban sprawl. Well thats what you will have here. There is no way a project of this size will not impact the island. Sure some folks will walk away rich but most of the vistors here will be poorer. I cannot verify but I heard the "marina" is going to be where the atoles is. Good by reef.

I hear what y'all are saying...and again, I don't support it....and no I don't think they'll stay holed up in their compounds.

I just refuse to be one of those that claims "doomsday" to something before it even happens...or before it's even been approved.

I'm not happy about it, but there's not a whole lot any of us can do about it...so why stress out over it?

Christi:
I hear what y'all are saying...and again, I don't support it....and no I don't think they'll stay holed up in their compounds.

I just refuse to be one of those that claims "doomsday" to something before it even happens...or before it's even been approved.

I'm not happy about it, but there's not a whole lot any of us can do about it...so why stress out over it?

Rich people throw money at a problem until it goes away. I agree with Cristi in that the local economy is supported by the Deep ports, diving tourism, and beaches and all inclusive resorts in the South. If the new development is centered on working the North part of the island it will ultimately change things, but not initially.

What I have seen in resort areas is that the ultra wealthy move in, and then it spreads. How much depends on how popular the ultra rich value the area. In Coz, it's very impossible to say. In parts of FL, it's absurd, and now no normal individual can afford to even vacation in some parts of FL where the rich are rich, and the rest of us are pawns!

In any event, while Trump may be looking to make a fortune, Coz remains a vibrant island with a very healthy Mexican population catering to diving and Cruise ship tourism. It may be that Trump is thinking that with deep water ports, absent from other popular Mexican destinations, and the fact that property is relatively inexpensive, he can make out like a bandit. Like he needs to? If his plan will work is highly dependent upon a lot of factors that I certainly can not predict.

I have an idea. Let them build on the far north end of the island. Right next to the polluted lagoon. I'm sure all of the multi millionaire greyhairs in their bikinis and speedos will love swimming in POO Lagoon. Just a thought.
Kelly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom