donald trump developement in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
This won't affect you the tourist...the development will be self-contained if it goes forward as planned.

I just oppose it for the environmental impact.

Well, let's just hope that it is self contained and they don't migrate out. All I know is that we love Cozumel because of what it is now. Really, I just hope to go to Coconuts and still get my instant seating and not have to park next to all the Trumponians. :D

Let's hope prices for Cozumel don't go up as an impact of this place if it does get built.

I do however agree that we should not get too wild up about something that might never happen

Well, the Trump ppl want to develop in a way that keeps guests on their property, spending money there - discourage them from leaving, hence the own air strip and marina desired. Years ago, I used to visit Hyatt Resorts, and most the people I met at those never saw the island they were on - just the property, the resort restaurants & golf course, etc. The roads to the resorts were often very discouraging themselves - another encouragement not to leave the resort and spread money on the island. I suspect that if this place were to go thru, the development people would do all they could to keep ppl on the property - even to the extent of discouraging road improvements between it and the channel side.

Nonetheless, it's a horrible thing to do to the ecology. Next they'd want to fill in the south marshes. But money does talk loud...??

money talks, even in Cozumel, doesn't Monica already have her pad there?

Is this planned for the north-east tip of the island? I suppose it's not in the area north of downtown, past the hotel zone, where there's an old road and signs of a failed development project.

Anyhow, I doubt this will ever happen; one hurricane and the cost-benefit really changes. That combined with the competing forces of greed, corruption, competition, and (last and least powerful, unfortunately) legitimate environmental concerns should derail it. I hope so, anyhow.

To the guy who posted "I like Cozumel as a quiet little island" I had to chuckle a bit as I remember the 7 cruise ships in town almost every day the last week I was there. Still, the east side is a nice refuge; I bike over there on every trip and I'm always amazed by how peaceful it is.

mattboy:
Anyhow, I doubt this will ever happen; one hurricane and the cost-benefit really changes. That combined with the competing forces of greed, corruption, competition, and (last and least powerful, unfortunately) legitimate environmental concerns should derail it. I hope so, anyhow.

I'm positive it WILL happen. If not with Trump, then someone else. It's only a matter of time. If the Mexican Government was opposed to it, that would stop things. But who do you think invites those 7 Cruise ships daily to Coz? Governments rarely discourage economic growth and development.

Funny how this all works. In my community the populace voted against a civic center that would have provided a swimming pool, and a place for family's and children to go rather than the local kids hanging out in the parking lot of the strip mall. People said they were anti development. Well now where we could have a Community center for recreation instead we have a King Soopers, and another strip mall.

Development is inevitable, and maybe an upscale private resort is not such a bad thing. Certainly there are much worst alternatives, and Cozumel is not a place where growth will stagnate.

ggunn:
So, do you think the mega-rich with their Hummers are going to stay holed up in their compound? Do you think the East Side south of the development will stay just as rustic as it is today? Do you think that life on the rest of the island will stay blissfully unaffected?

NEW RULE: We catch anybody on our side of the island wearing Armani shorts, Gucci loafers and a Rolex, we beat the crap out of them. I cant stand that scumbag Trump!

There does seem to be a number of archaeological sites in that corner. I hope this is a deterrent....

gob-cozumel.jpg

what "should" be a deterent is the reef system just down from El Castillo. This is the atoles which is a unique reef ecosystem. One person recently indicated that this is where the marina is slated for. It reminds me of what happened back in the early 80's in Oaxaca in the Huatulco developement. There was a beautiful reef in the Bahia de Tanguluga which was totally destroyed to make way for a developement club med put in. Maybe today this won't happen but I won't be placing any bets.

I am sadden by the Trump news. Pre-Wilma we were able to drive up to Punta Molas in a dune buggy. Absolutely beautiful and memorable drive although we did get stuck several times in the sand! I have a great picture of the lighthouse although I was saddened by all the trash that was on the beach. The ONLY good thing that could happen if there was a Trump Village is the beaches would be cleaned.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom