Dolphin And Azimuth , My Experience's diving both !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought i would pass my Experience's diving both the Dolphin and the Azimuth Rebreather's, as i just passed the certification's on both unit's !!

All i ask is to keep in mind, these experience's are based on diving both unit's during their certification's, and i do not have any more logged hour's , other then the required hour's to do the cert's. I can say however, they are different and have their own pro's and con's, and I am welcoming other diver's to share their experience's, as i would not want anyone to make judgement on either unit's, this is only to share my first experience's on both unit's.

We started out on the boat, both me and my buddy pre-breathing both unit's before entering the water as they suggest. Im on the Azimuth, and my buddy on the Dolphin.
Before we are about to enter the water, my buddy start's yelling, " hey is this thing going to breath better under water then on the boat!!! " We both jump into the water, and give the " OK " and start our Descent down, and as im breathing in and exhauling through the loop, my Inhale bag dosn't have anything there !! No prob, The Azimuth has a Manual add , so i " Remember on the descent I'll have to do this, or let the bag " catch up" , i choose to add, and AAAhhh, i have air!! We drop down to 60' on the reef, and i noticed i could not keep up with my buddy, who is swiming effortlessly over the reef !! Through out the dive i had the same problem. Alot of drag !!
We did our hour bottom time, and had to go up cause we were diving off a charter boat, i noticed on our Saftey stop at 15' , my buddy is VENTING alot on the Dolphin, i looked at myself, and did not see any bubble's, or very little. We got back on the boat, and came to the conclusion that The Azimuth after the two dive's has more drag then the Dolphin in the water, and also the Dolphin has a 8 liter inhale bag, 4 on exhale, and the Azimuth has two 6 liter bag's, so on the boat my buddy could not " Exhale as easy, cause it would " Fill the bag" but at depth it was fine.

Next day we swaped unit's, this time myself on the Dolphin, and my buddy on the Azimuth, this way we had two new diver's, with two differnet Opiuon's, and we would better judge the unit's , being i am buying one here shortley.

First thing as i was concerned, now i was experiencing the " filled Cheek's" on the boat, and saying " Man is this thing going to breathe better down there!! ""

Another MAJOR concern for myself was, i was very scared of not having enough air in the loop on the descent, and being the Dolphin has no Manual add vaulve, i was concered, but i knew if anything, i could bail to OC on the pony till the Inhale bag filled.

We droped in, gave the " OK " and started our Descent, Surprisingly, i never ran out of air once during the whole dive, meaning the 8 liter bag in the Dolphin on the Inhale was enough to not have to add air , although a few times i had to add air into the loop both on the descent going down, and during the dive with the Azimuth.
Also i noticed the drag on the Dolphin to be ALOT less, and now i was gliding through the water while my buddy was " Working " to dive the unit. I loved the Dolphin in the water, buoyancy
was very easy to maintain, as the Azimuth took alittle more work.

Now i have to say, being i LOVE the Tech look, and coming from a background of diving double's, wing's , carrying extra bottle's for deco, i LOVE the look of the Azimuth, in the water and out, that unit just look's awsome. But i was suprisingly supprised by the " Simplicity " and the over all diving characteristic's with the Dolphin. I was kinda disapointed cause i thought i would leave this class, and for sure would be going home to buy a Azimuth !! I never thought the Dolphin would have dove as good as it did. Another thing i had to keep in mind, i only planed on diving SCR for about a year, till i could move into a CCR , " Money" being the most issue, with my wife :wink:
One thing is the Dolphin isn't that hard to convert over to CCR, and it would be my first step into going CCR and from there could grow into a Priszm, or Insperation, etc.

A few Pro's and con's just from my Experience's diving both unit's, keep in mind they were just cert dive's, im sure if i dive them both much more, i would have better opiuon's, but this is just a start, diver's on both unit's are welcome to give the opioun's as well, here's a few of them just from my past weekend's dive's with them :

Azimuth & Dolphin comparising from what i dove :

1. Manual add for air into the loop on the Azimuth, Dolphin has none.
2. 2 bottle's , could be used in differnet way's, different mixe's , etc, Dolphin has a 50 cubic foot tank, and a 13 on the bail out. I know both sizes on them can be changed out.
3. Azimuth has plenty on SS ring's to clip off, crotch strap's, chest strap, which i like, Dolphin has allmost a rec BC, Azimuth also has a nice Bungeed wing, look's like the OMS wing's :wink:
4. Dolphin was alittle heavier on the back out of the water, but very little drag, the Azimuth seemed lighter out of the water, but seemed to have alot of drag in the water, we both experienced this, but other's tend to differ.
5. The Azimuth was very " LOUD " underwater, it sounded like a full orchestra !!!
The Dolphin was very " Quite " underwater, when breathing in and out in the loop.
The Azimuth seemed the be loud on the Exhale, you could hear the side of the loop playing song;s for me, lol. I kept saying man this is quite, bubble-less breathing? It sounds like somone bending steel with a pipe wrench in my left ear!!! LOL, J/K, but true.

6. The Dolphin won over the Azimuth as far as breaking them down and setting up,
" Simple " is the perfect word. I was very pleased on breaking down and setting both unit's back up, as both weren't hard to do, and the myth of taking hour's is just a myth, as both unit's took no more then 20 min between both unit's !!

Monitering flow rate's was easy on both, as well as adjusting the pressure of the vent's , etc.

The Azimuth was alittle harder setting up, we found by putting the bottom tank in first, and working up that it was easyer to put the whole unit back together.

The Azimuth had alot of the part's "screw" into place, like the lung's , etc where the Dolphin in some area's " Clicked" together, i wasn't to pleased with that, but havn't found any thread's where they failed.

Another thing i didn't like in both unit's was the bail-out.
The Dolphin has a 13 cubic foot pony that is your OC bail-out, but your B/C inflator hose is also connected to that to fill your B/C. After two dive's, my 13' bail out bottle was just about empty, not leaving much for O/C bail out.

The Azimuth has two tank's, with bail-out coming off one tank, and B/C inflating off the other, i didn't consider that a true bail out for OC, and would add a pony off for sure.

The Dolphin need's a 19' cubic foot pony for sure if your going to use it for B/C inflation and OC bail out.

Over all, I was very pleased with both unit's and have not made up my mind, there are more pro's and con's for sure of both unit's , it would take me more experience diving both and alot more typing, im hoping other's who dive either unit will join in and give their opioun's, as welcomed.

For myself, were going back down in Jan to the Key's in FL, to dive both unit's, and im hoping to descide then one which one i want to buy.

Im leaning towards to Dolphin currentley only for the simple reason there easy to convert to CCR, and i liked the way it dive's, out of the water, i would take the Azimuth any day for look's, and it's put together very well, that is why i need to dive it one more weeeknd relaxed, and make a descion then on which to buy.

Overall my Experience's with the two unit's was very positive. I was very pleased with diving a rebreather, even though it's SCR, looking foward to diving them alot more, and really enjoying the true benifit's of diving a rebreather. Now that i dove one, my mind is made up, it's just a matter of which unit at this point to buy, but i have no intension's of going back to OC, kinda like the saying when i bought my first dry-suit, id never want to dive wet again!!

Thumb's up on both unit's , and even more to loooking foward to safer, quiter, longer bottom time's, and OHHHH , the WARM AIR, how nice!!!

Thank's for reading, and i welcome those to post their Experience's in any type of rebreather diving, both SCR and CCR , would love to hear from you. Thank's Again !!

... for taking the time to share your experience as detailed as you did.
I appreciate it, and am sure down the line someone will wonder about those two rigs again.
Hope you enjoy the holidays and the diving afterwards.
Stefan

Really, truly, don't look at these units as CCR upgrades. I know two people that have done it that, had the Sport KISS been around when they started, gone that way. Not so much because they are unhappy with the result, just that they spent that much anyway - they could have avoided problems sourcing bits, having bits fail, going down dead-ends and just the usual mucking about. I held off from chopping a Dolphin based on what I knew of the KISS. The Dolphin isn't bad, but I find the logistics of it on a dive trip just aren't worth it (wait until you get to changing jets, messing about with gases etc to get optimised mix with the unit, or go with max depth mix/jet only to find you're only getting the warm air advantage at the cost of not insignificant risks involved with rebreathers). The Azi would be easier, as no messing with a jet, but you still have to set the flow, as well as pick your mix.
Also - the Azi is virtually as easy to convert as the Dolphin. I wouldn't be choosing between them based on that.
You're excited now - I'd go with previous comments that have been made - hang off and rent a bit more, to see if the SCR RB lifestyle agrees with you. Chances are, you'll be wanting to chop it to make it CCR much sooner than you think, then you'll have to flog it off or go about getting all the bits to make it.
I find both the Azi and the Dolphin to be more complex than the Sport KISS, and whilst the Azi is more robust, it's also more annoying to put together and tear down. Not too much a fan of the restrictions in hoses either - or the convolutions of hoses in stock configuration. A friend of mine who bought his with the intention of chopping it has recently gutted the hoses, put a backplate and wing on it, and made other minor adjustments. To me (and him from discussions I'd had) it's 100% better after his changes.
However, all things considered, I'd almost get the Azi purely for it's scrubber. That puppy is awesome.
But, my disclaimer is that I have done my Dolphin diving knowing what a CCR is like in comparison, so the Dolphin didn't really do much for me. We also had some problems with the OPV (old units, yours likely wouldn't have this problem for years!) and leakage through the mouthpeice on one, so things weren't great. It was good to go through the rigamarole to do with RB's pre, during and post dive to see if I was ready for the CCR jump. After spending a bit of time on the Dolphin, I can appreciate how simple the Sport KISS is (sorry to bring it up again), and know it's going to be so much easier to live with full-time. I really can't see the point in Dolphins or Azi's now. But, I may spend another month or so on the Dolphin while waiting for training on the Sport KISS to be sorted out (don't ask me anything about it - I don't know!).

Thanks for the unique perspective on 2 rebreathers from a fresh (un-biased) point of view. I agree with nl carey that you should not select the rb based on conversion potential. Both units should be able to convert but there are not too expensive units out there that are designed to be ccr (kiss for example)
One thing you need to be aware of is there is no c-card for a modified or homemade rebreather. You may find yourself some day on a charter boat where they won't let you dive a ccr/dolphin with a scr c-card.
Having said that, I dive a ccr/dolphin and I am very happy with it. The conversion was not very expensive and in spite of the previous post, there was no chopping (OK 1 hose) involved and my dolphin can go back to scr in an instant.
Have a merry Christmas,

cool post, thanks for the input.

You can solve the dolphin bailout problem by mounting a 13 cfu on the left side of the unit for bouyancy control, but it will increase drag a little.. I have to go with the other posters though, take this as an intro to RB's, hang out dive some other units and then invest, they are too expensive to have to flog on ebay and upgrade all the time..

wedivebc:
Thanks for the unique perspective on 2 rebreathers from a fresh (un-biased) point of view. I agree with nl carey that you should not select the rb based on conversion potential. Both units should be able to convert but there are not too expensive units out there that are designed to be ccr (kiss for example)
One thing you need to be aware of is there is no c-card for a modified or homemade rebreather. You may find yourself some day on a charter boat where they won't let you dive a ccr/dolphin with a scr c-card.
Having said that, I dive a ccr/dolphin and I am very happy with it. The conversion was not very expensive and in spite of the previous post, there was no chopping (OK 1 hose) involved and my dolphin can go back to scr in an instant.
Have a merry Christmas,

your welcome Wedivebc, im not to concered, as my day's of diving off crowded charter boat's are over, i solved that by buying my own boat ,lol, a 21' center consoul, we dive all over Florida with it, to be honest, i dive what i want, when i want, and where i want, i love that feeling, i hate paying $50 bucks for a charter boat, and them telling me how long i can stay down, and where im going to dive !!

I agree totalley with converting the units to CCR, i may do that,. or just may use the Dolphin or Azi for a while, till i learn more about the rebreather part of diving, get to dive more unit's. then may just buy a CCR, like the Kiss, etc, for now, i can get a Dolphin with about 10 dive's on it for 2K, can't beat that, and just get a PPo2 device, im probley going to get a VR3, so that would work with both CCR and SCR, thanks again, And Merry Christmas also !!

PS,it's good to hear your happy with your CCR Dolphin, i heard alot of good things about converting them over !

nl_carey:
Really, truly, don't look at these units as CCR upgrades. I know two people that have done it that, had the Sport KISS been around when they started, gone that way. Not so much because they are unhappy with the result, just that they spent that much anyway - they could have avoided problems sourcing bits, having bits fail, going down dead-ends and just the usual mucking about. I held off from chopping a Dolphin based on what I knew of the KISS. The Dolphin isn't bad, but I find the logistics of it on a dive trip just aren't worth it (wait until you get to changing jets, messing about with gases etc to get optimised mix with the unit, or go with max depth mix/jet only to find you're only getting the warm air advantage at the cost of not insignificant risks involved with rebreathers). The Azi would be easier, as no messing with a jet, but you still have to set the flow, as well as pick your mix.
Also - the Azi is virtually as easy to convert as the Dolphin. I wouldn't be choosing between them based on that.
You're excited now - I'd go with previous comments that have been made - hang off and rent a bit more, to see if the SCR RB lifestyle agrees with you. Chances are, you'll be wanting to chop it to make it CCR much sooner than you think, then you'll have to flog it off or go about getting all the bits to make it.
I find both the Azi and the Dolphin to be more complex than the Sport KISS, and whilst the Azi is more robust, it's also more annoying to put together and tear down. Not too much a fan of the restrictions in hoses either - or the convolutions of hoses in stock configuration. A friend of mine who bought his with the intention of chopping it has recently gutted the hoses, put a backplate and wing on it, and made other minor adjustments. To me (and him from discussions I'd had) it's 100% better after his changes.
However, all things considered, I'd almost get the Azi purely for it's scrubber. That puppy is awesome.
But, my disclaimer is that I have done my Dolphin diving knowing what a CCR is like in comparison, so the Dolphin didn't really do much for me. We also had some problems with the OPV (old units, yours likely wouldn't have this problem for years!) and leakage through the mouthpeice on one, so things weren't great. It was good to go through the rigamarole to do with RB's pre, during and post dive to see if I was ready for the CCR jump. After spending a bit of time on the Dolphin, I can appreciate how simple the Sport KISS is (sorry to bring it up again), and know it's going to be so much easier to live with full-time. I really can't see the point in Dolphins or Azi's now. But, I may spend another month or so on the Dolphin while waiting for training on the Sport KISS to be sorted out (don't ask me anything about it - I don't know!).

thanks for your input, as you been diving all the unit's, and i agree all though the benifit's from Scr are not as good as CCR, they are alot GREATER then OC, no doubt, we could have dove well over 3 hour's on both unit's with a Alum 50 on the Dolphin, on a 60' reef, that would have been a min of 3 tank's, not to inlcude the Nitrogen build up is much more, there are many benfit's from diving SCR to OC, but i do agree 100% CCR has advantages over both no doubt. How much did your Sport Kiss run? I was looking at those, as the Azimuth run's around $4,500 and the Sport Kiss I think is around $5,000

If you could also let us know your thought's, being you dove both the Azimuth and the Dolphin, and now going to the Sport Kiss, i would and im sure other's that are just starting our route to Rebreather's would love to hear your input's, good luck on your class, and Merry Christmas !!

I dove a Dolphin for about 2 1/2 years. Compared to open circuit, I love it. Compared to my Inspiration..There is no comparison. The dolphin however, is pretty forgiving compared to a CCR. I have been on an inspiration for 9 months. I felt there was a tremendous benefit having started on a semi-closed system before launching into the CCR world.

Neurolyse:
I dove a Dolphin for about 2 1/2 years. Compared to open circuit, I love it. Compared to my Inspiration..There is no comparision. The dolphin however, is pretty forgiving compared to a CCR. I have been on an inspiration for 9 months. I felt there was a tremendous benefit having started on a semi-closed system before launching into the CCR world.

Thanks for speaking from both worlds, SCR and CCR, i was thinking i made a mistake of going to SCR, instead of going straight to CCR. After taking the course ( SCR ) i feel comfortable now that i have made that choice, simply because i did not have the $7K plus another 1K at the moment to " Spend " on the hobby, and also for another reason is after only researching the rebreather world for only a few month's, i felt for myself, that to start off in SCR, stay withen rec limit's, dive it, research CCR more, learn more about it, save some more money, and in another year i'll dump the Dolphin and move into somthing like the Inspiration or somthing.

When you say " Forgiving " compared to SCR diving, can you better explain to somone like myself that is not that fimiliar with CCR diving?

Thanks for you input, as every thread hopfully i can learn somthing new, :)

Well, first of all, if your scrubber fails (it shouldn't if you do it right, but lets say it does) you have a constant flow of nitrox going into the system and then venting. About every fifth breath. I think a CO2 hit is less likely with a mass-flow circuit. However, the one thing you really have to watch with a Dolphin, is extreme physical exertion at the surface. You can breathe the loop mix down to a dangerously low PO2 and pass out (seen it done) This is more common if you are mis-matching your orifice and Nitrox mix. (Something that is commonly done to extend gas use. Not for beginners) Second. As far as acute O2 toxicity, with a dolphin, your max PO2 is set by the nitrox mix in your source bottle (typically 36-42% in reef diving) so you know at the start of the dive that you cannot exceed a known maximum depth. Just like any nitrox dive. With a CCR, if you get a little excited about that whale shark 50 feet below you, and you plummet down, you will get a PO2 spike that could conceivably get you into a world of trouble. You are carrying a tank of 100% O2. If you panic or get a little confused and hit the wrong manual inflator, you can wind up with the same result. Third. The CCRs have more parts. More maintenance. More chance for electricity to flirt with salt water. Having said that I would absolutely NOT consider diving a dolphin without an oxyguage, and I would strongly consider getting a VR3 with the Drager interface as a back up. Besides, when you make the jump to a CCR, you will find the VR3 is your best friend. Having said all this, I love both the Dolphin and the inspiration. I'm glad I started with the Dolphin. I think it will help you a lot when you progress to CCRs. You will notice an incredible difference if you are into photography as far as getting closer to sealife (as long as you can find a rebreather buddy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom