Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM, it's ok, I was just prepping Anubis for the rules in the DIR forum. :wink:

Personally I think it's crazy to speak about Air2s in any forum, but that's me.

Personally I think it's crazy to speak about Air2s in any forum, but that's me.
Unless you work for a LDS that requires all instructors to PURCHASE and use them on the gear they own and in which they are required to instruct as an incentive for students to purchase what the pros are wearing. I think that could stand a discussion.

I feel your pain :D

Unless you work for a LDS that requires all instructors to PURCHASE and use them on the gear they own and in which they are required to instruct as an incentive for students to purchase what the pros are wearing. I think that could stand a discussion.

... therein lies the reason why I won't teach for a dive shop ... and why I believe that the best thing that could happen to dive training is to separate it completely from equipment sales ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know this is off topic, but I figure the thread is over anyway...

I cannot understand how a shop that is officially DIR (through UTD) for its technical training can require its instructors to purchase and use things like AirSource (the AL version of Air2) and Cobra III computers for their recreational instruction. The best part was when they sent out a newsletter itemizing the equipment their instructors purchased because they "demand the best." As an official UTD shop, they sell everything that one might really want to use, but they require the instructors to purchase items that will maximize the profit margins when students are motivated to buy.

BTW, I no longer work there. There were other reasons as well.

DIR classes....

Anyone else been through this course or was looking to do it??

I had a very disappointing experience with GUE and have been lied to and ripped off ($1,000) by a GUE instructor.

While the agency's ideas are excellent, they need to choose their people more carefully.

I am done with GUE.

If GUE's reputation didn't match my personal experience, then I might try again with a different instructor. But GUE has a well-deserved (in my opinion) poor reputation, based primarily, it seems, on the personalities that GUE tends to draw.

Last edited:
Just when it looked like the thread would run out of steam...

This thread will not run out of steam-it goes on and on.

This thread will not run out of steam-it goes on and on.

I know I said it was my last post for this thread, but I've got to say sorry once more for starting a nightmare thread and just not thinking when I started this damned thing.

Sorry y'all. :(

Back
Top Bottom