Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but, bluntly, you've never done this before and you don't know what you're doing. You just admitted as much. You're going to get some answers from some very senior folks (and Dan is as senior as it gets) that is going to be pitched for your level, and if you take offense that its condescending, then you're going to have a very frustrating time.

And really, there are all kinds of dumb questions, and based on how you phrase a question you can expect a certain kind of pitch out of the answer.

I don't for a second doubt that he is one of the most seasoned divers here! For myself...I don't like being talked to/towards like I am a child. I am an adult that pays his dues like everyone else. My kids are 2 & 3 and I treat them as I would want to be treated and it is amazing how more gorwn up at that age they seem vs some of their counterparts.

Yea, I am ignorant in the world of diving...switch this to aviation and I can hang with some well to do people. However, never confuse ingorance with stupidity...they are completely different.

It took over 160 posts (a good amount OT heh) too get an answer that helped me see that I was ignorantly blind to the fact that DIR was not the Fundies course that was what was recommended to me so much. Also, yea I did paraphrase it incorrectly too...they weren't saying just take that and nothing else...they basicly were saying to me that the information in that course is invaluable and will mean more than many...basicly because it builds a stronger foundation.

Maybe that clears stuff up?

PS. The "Troll" junk only started after I mentioned a great friend whom I look up to in this industry. That is where a lot of my animosity is coming from.

I don't for a second doubt that he is one of the most seasoned divers here! For myself...I don't like being talked to/towards like I am a child. I am an adult that pays his dues like everyone else. My kids are 2 & 3 and I treat them as I would want to be treated and it is amazing how more gorwn up at that age they seem vs some of their counterparts.

Yea, I am ignorant in the world of diving...switch this to aviation and I can hang with some well to do people. However, never confuse ingorance with stupidity...they are completely different.

It took over 160 posts (a good amount OT heh) too get an answer that helped me see that I was ignorantly blind to the fact that DIR was not the Fundies course that was what was recommended to me so much. Also, yea I did paraphrase it incorrectly too...they weren't saying just take that and nothing else...they basicly were saying to me that the information in that course is invaluable and will mean more than many...basicly because it builds a stronger foundation.

Maybe that clears stuff up?

PS. The "Troll" junk only started after I mentioned a great friend whom I look up to in this industry. That is where a lot of my animosity is coming from.

Anubis,
Still I have to say, when I made the post you were referring to, I thought I had worded it carefully enough to be sure it was not offensive...If you were to do a search of my posts on DIR, you would see that I try hard NOT to be offensive, as in the DIR of the late 90's...which was often offensive, but for reasons explained in other posts--not to hurt feelings, but to blast beyond the big media and advertising budgets of agencies that we felt were endangering tek divers and the new sport...thats another whole topic. I am sorry, I did not mean any offense...I think if you and I had been having this discussion on a dive boat, by my facial expressions and tone, there would have been no chance at all for you to be offended...while the Internet does a great job of getting ideas out, it can twist intents, very easily.

I'm a little late to the party...

DIR classes, something every tech or soon to be tech diver should take. ...blah blah blah snipped....

What exactly do YOU know about tech or tech diving?

(snipped)

I asked about DIR, some of you bashed the F out of it and then took this in 8 or 10 different directions from what I wanted to know.

Appreciate it.

I will love to post here again for questions answered....NOT.

You asked about DIR, then proceeded to diverge from the path with your gear selection and choices. What did you think would be the response?

Let's pretend for a moment that there is such a thing in the US as a "Professional Pilot Degree" (and extrapolating from your posts that you were not at a college with an aviation track such as Emory-Riddle) and assuming that we don't consider CFI/CFII as non-professional certifications, and we're talking about a basic Commercial Pilot certificate we're talking a minimum of 190 hours at a part 141 school. More likely close to 300 to complete it with the trends in those taking pilot training... we're looking at a minimum investment of 150 hours your part to quit pilot training. That seems awfully close to a goal to feel okay about walking away.

Yes, pilot training is expensive, yes even as a PIC of a regional airline you're still going to qualify for SNAP benefits, and yes there are very few well paying jobs anymore. Still though people go off and work long hours for horrible pay because they love to fly. Not many people out there going "Gee I love going into debt and eating food off the dented can rack," in order to do something purely for money.

So as a 31 year old who has not graduated from commercial diving school with limited in water experience you want to make a living by only doing inshore work in the Charleston area. Have you looked in to the Pile Drivers Union? Have you looked at industry trends in few construction projects? Have you learned that you'll most likely be a dive tender for the first couple of years post school? If you can get a job in the area you live...

People are not attacking you the person, I am sure you are a great guy, good father and husband, all that stuff...

However in your forty or so posts on this forum you've come across as opinionated (nothing wrong with that), inexperienced (hey, we all have to start somewhere), uninformed (we're here to help) and finally as someone unwilling to accept the reality of what other people with more experience are trying to tell you (guess there is no helping some people).

Dude, this is the interweb... people don't always play nice... the fact you make inflammatory posts about subjects you don't understand is only going to result in responses you're not going to be happy with. Please either learn from this thread or at least stop caring about what people you've never met think about you... it really doesn't matter

Michael

Let's pretend for a moment that there is such a thing in the US as a "Professional Pilot Degree" (and extrapolating from your posts that you were not at a college with an aviation track such as Emory-Riddle) and assuming that we don't consider CFI/CFII as non-professional certifications, and we're talking about a basic Commercial Pilot certificate we're talking a minimum of 190 hours at a part 141 school. More likely close to 300 to complete it with the trends in those taking pilot training... we're looking at a minimum investment of 150 hours your part to quit pilot training. That seems awfully close to a goal to feel okay about walking away.

I'm paying about 150-160 an hour wet with instructor. Now I only have about 6 hours of logged time so far but to me it sounds as if he already has a pretty good paying job. I'd stick with it. I plan to simply go broke learning to fly and dive. I'm resigned to it :D

I know this isn't a streamlined aproach, but what are thoughts on a small pony bottle and secondary reg attached to it? If there is a system failure on your main rig...would having a completely self contained bailout be better?
Spare Air. Get rid of that pesky hose and regulator. Nothing for it to catch on. Easy Peasy.

This thread is a riot! :) The sad thing Anubisdivers is you're snapping at alot of people that are genuinely trying to help you :shakehead:

Here read this if you would like to learn more about the DIR/GUE gear configuration
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

And here is a decent explanation about what DIR is
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/44823-what-dir.html

You started off saying how great DIR etc. is... but you've never taken a class and clearly haven't a clue what it is, then you go on to suggest things that are definitely not DIR but call them DIR anyway, then tell others who have DIR training that they're wrong, then snap at others who are trying to help you Dan Volker, and TSandM to name a few, what gives?

I'm sure my response isn't what you wanted to hear or isn't specific enough for you, but do hope that the above two links help you out.

In the advanced forums there is a little more lee way given in how we respond to posts. Basically, if you're going to say something, be prepared to defend it intelligently or get called on it. You sang the beatitudes of DIR diving but your latter posts show you know little about it and guess what; you're being called on it.

Part of being a big boy in a blue collar world, and as a diver, is doing your own homework; holding up your "end" as it were. By doing even the most basic research into the DIR regime many of the questions asked would have been answered. You could then ask intelligent questions on the finer points that may be more subtle. I've asked some doozies in my time and have always gotten the answers I sought, even when the questions were diametrically opposed to DIR diving techniques.

When you keep asking questions that show you haven't even done the most basic reading, but keep expecting well thought out replies, you are essentially asking the other party to do all the work.

Take this thread as a good learning experience. On the board, when sincerity is demonstrated all is soon forgotten. Most people here really are good hearted.
In the real world, especially the blue collar one, asking everyone else to carry your load and then getting all pissy when they don't act as you think they should is a good way to earn a reputation that you may never be able to shake.

Yay, Woo hoo yet another! Want me to show you my transcript?! Professional Pilot was the degree, I flew out of ABE: Lehigh Valley International Airport, Hanger 7, Ace Aviation...owner is Guss. I have my cut, signed shirt tail that they hacked off of me when I made my first solo. Wow...so I didn't give exact specifics...WHY on God's earth do I always have to prove myself to you or others every time I come on this forum?

I started college in Fall of 2002 and had money issues so was on/off till 2005 when I went completely dry for the ability to continue. I went to work for a buddy in construction/remodeling then branched off and started my own business. Ran that till this year when I closed and sold off all my big equipment to allow me to attend Commercial Diving School.

Is that enough Bio. to paint the picture?

Yes, pilot training is expensive, yes even as a PIC of a regional airline you're still going to qualify for SNAP benefits, and yes there are very few well paying jobs anymore. Still though people go off and work long hours for horrible pay because they love to fly. Not many people out there going "Gee I love going into debt and eating food off the dented can rack," in order to do something purely for money.

So as a 31 year old who has not graduated from commercial diving school with limited in water experience you want to make a living by only doing inshore work in the Charleston area. Have you looked in to the Pile Drivers Union? Have you looked at industry trends in few construction projects? Have you learned that you'll most likely be a dive tender for the first couple of years post school? If you can get a job in the area you live...

Did you have the experience you have now the day you put on a tank??

People are not attacking you the person, I am sure you are a great guy, good father and husband, all that stuff...

However in your forty or so posts on this forum you've come across as opinionated (nothing wrong with that), inexperienced (hey, we all have to start somewhere), uninformed (we're here to help) and finally as someone unwilling to accept the reality of what other people with more experience are trying to tell you (guess there is no helping some people).

You obviously haven't been reading some of the posts here then. Sure, some have helped with sarcastic and derogatory tendencies in their posts with the good information.

Others have just given sarcastic and derogative (especially since I even mentioned SeaJay...for what ever reason caused that...is beyond me).

Others yet have been Superb! Helped right out of the box, no judgmental or down talking to get their point across. If you noticed...I can't thank them enough for their help...as it is greatly appreciated.

I am not someone who came here looking for problems...I came here to meet some people in this hobby/industry, learn stuff, etc. Only to find that every time I post...I get ridiculed in some way, by some one, every time (minus my one thread in the Com Diver forum).

Dude, this is the interweb... people don't always play nice... the fact you make inflammatory posts about subjects you don't understand is only going to result in responses you're not going to be happy with. Please either learn from this thread or at least stop caring about what people you've never met think about you... it really doesn't matter

Michael

You are right...I shouldn't care...but that's not how I am. I give out 100% respect to people from day one...if you lose it, its gone forever (generally speaking). So when I come here looking up to y’all for advice and get hammered from making a mistake by wording something incorrectly or incorrectly paraphrasing something...it gets old after the first dozen or so times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom