Does your spit work?

How well does your spit work as defog?

• My mask still fogs, but now it has spit in it.

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Spit is a lot worse than defog

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Spit is worse than defog

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Spit is as good as defog

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Spit is better than defog

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Spit is way better than defog

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've seen all sorts of people recommending "spit" for defog.

The effectiveness of this seems to be extremely variable and dependent on the spitter.

Does your spit keep your mask from fogging?

Yes it does. I prefer baby shampoo for a cheap and easier to use alternative.

spit is the only thing ive ever used in over 10yrs of diving

but

i only dive salt water... i wonder if salt or fresh make a difference??

Got this this second or third hand, but at one of the dive medicine conferences (UHMS?) supposedly one presenter said something like 'if your spit works, you're not hydrated enough'. Maybe someone here on ScubaBoard will comment on how accurate this might be.

spit doesn't work for me - I just use cheap hand soap, works like a charm (learned the hard way to get the kind that doesn't sting when it gets in your eyes)

Mine works great. Why not give it a try?

Rohans Spit: $5 per 5 ml bottle (plus postage and handling).

Beer, Vegemite or Single Malt Scotch flavoured varieties available upon request.

I answered "spit is as good as defog", but I kind of lied.

My spit defogs my mask very well. But it doesn't last through several dives, the way 200 Foot Viz defog does.

No matter how hydrated you are, your spit isn't going to get significantly diluted.

Works great. I forgot my defog one day, used spit instead, and have never looked back. That bottle of defog makes for a great paperweight (works better for that than keeping my mask clear).

Like almitywife I have only been in salt water, but durring my pool training my instuctor used spit and it worked fine. While I would not call that fresh water (especially with all the kids that swim there), I don't think it is the salt water. I did notice that if i do any more than a quick dunk to rince the spit out it doesnt work very well.

I wouldnt say that I am dehydrated when I dive, but I could cetainly be better about drinking water before each dive. I hope bleeb is wrong because between the bottled water and the anti-fog this sport could get expensive.:D

I have to admit, I've never tried a commercial defog but as far as I'm concerned spit is free, readily available (even AFTER you've locked the car door and zipped up the suit) and it gets the job done... why change?

Hooray for goober! :D

Back
Top Bottom