Ocean Reef G Diver Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross19966

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. The FFM regulator breathes fine when you are basically looking at the bottom, but it becomes more difficult to breathe when you look up or face horizontally. It's not extreme but noticeable and does not make the mask un-divable and playing with the cracking pressure does help a little. I'd imagine it just take a little getting used to. First dive with it today down to about 15' in a pool. My other 1st stage is a Aqualung Legend Elite and it doesn't seem to do this...or at least it's not as noticeable.

Other than that, which wouldn't stop me from using it, I love the mask. It seals perfectly, doesn't fog and being able to talk underwater is great. I 3D printed a watertight mic housing that screws into the com port. The mic connects to an audio recorder sealed in a dry box, also 3D printed. Should have all of that together for some testing next week. It works out of the water so no reason the think it won't work under water.

The regulator diaphragm is farther from your mouth than the other regs you’re used to. They do it as well, it’s just a lot more subtle and the pressure difference isn’t enough to cause a free flow. But you’ll probably notice that it’s easier to breath on your normal 2nd stage when looking down than when looking up. My ocean reef will free flow just a bit when looking down unless I snug up the adjustment a bit.

The effect is also less pronounced at deeper depths when the percentage of pressure change is less per foot (or inch, or whatever).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom