Does sex tourism in Thailand/Asia mean greater number of 'pests' in diving there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice Maiden

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi girls, I'm considering doing my Instructor Certification and go anywhere in the world. I want to go to Asia for the diving but am concerned there will be poorer behaviour from those who are not just there for the diving. I'm not a prude and am not averse to relationships developing but overtly and continuous sexual references and inappropriate behaviour is depressing. Is this a real problem or just my perception?

The title of your thread should give you a hint....sex tourism in Asia is about ASIAN women/girls..A male going to thailand for a love you long time honey is not interested in forming a deep meaningful relationship with anyone let alone western women, he can get them at home for a higher price. Thailand's sex tourism is now a lot less in your face, yes Bangla road is full of ladyboys and bar girls, and will always be, Pattaya is even grimmer but if you have a standard of behavior that you think is the bar then perhaps Asia isnt the place for you?. On dive boats you will encounter guys, and yes, some of them may even have a quick look at you, but they are on dive boats for the diving - I've had guys on dive boats ask if I would like dinner (im a female solo travelling diver) and ive had guys ask if I would like dinner with them and their ''girlfriends''. There was a similar thread on here not too long ago about Indonesia and unwanted attention you may find interesting. If you are looking at working and living in Asia then you will see things you probably wouldnt feel comfortable with in Britain but that is not to say abhorent behaviour doesnt happen everywhere, Britain, Australia, the US. Dont put yourself in areas where its common...the guys who haunt Sihanoukville in Cambodia are there because the Thai govt has tried to stop the sex tourism being so blatant. Dont hang out in Pattaya. Dont walk down the street in Bali in a bikini top and a sarong. There are areas of thailand (krabi springs to mind) where the majority muslim population are more likely to be offended by your short shorts than you seeing some dirt bag traipsing around with a young girl.
I guess what im really trying to say is you cant impose your moral code on another country and if you go to another part of the world expecting everyone to share the same moral code as you do you may find yourself severely disappointed. I love Thailand and lived there for a few months 25 years ago way before mass tourism hit the country when you did see quite a few male perverts walking around buying young girls and boys in certain areas..that didnt mean it was a reflection of the entire country or continent for that matter. Try to approach a new country with an open mind not what you have seen on tv or read about. Theres good and bad people everywhere, Thailand has some absolutely beautiful people..a majority not a minority. Its up to you to decide if you can keep an open mind and give it a try. You will certainly not be the only western woman working in the dive industry, you will be one of hundreds.

Must admit that I've never been bothered by sex tourism folks when at dive destinations in Asia... but maybe that's because they realize when I talk about looking for a young woman, I mean a lady in her 40s!

Not trying to make light of the issue itself. I just didn't see any of it when I was diving there, but I was outside the big cities. Lady boys... well, that was another issue entirely, but you don't have to worry about them.

Wingy ... You said it about as good as it can be said.... And that thread about unwanted attention was completely deleted from cyber space... Why, No one really knows....:confused: I could have seen them locking it.... There was a lot of very good stuff in there.... :wink: Maybe we can start a new one...:chuckle:

Jim....

Hi girls, I'm considering doing my Instructor Certification and go anywhere in the world. I want to go to Asia for the diving but am concerned there will be poorer behaviour from those who are not just there for the diving. I'm not a prude and am not averse to relationships developing but overtly and continuous sexual references and inappropriate behaviour is depressing. Is this a real problem or just my perception?
The problem is pretty limited to several places and Thailand is NOT the only country that attract certain kind of tourists.

The problem is pretty limited to several places and Thailand is NOT the only country that attract certain kind of tourists.

Yep, Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt, too. The sex trafficking is mostly in kidnapped young Russian girls, but men seem to hang around the pier looking for any type of young looking women. I was leered at and several men attempted to talk to me and slow me down in getting from one end of the pier to the other. I either ignored them or stared them down if they were too in my face. I also tried to walk with a purpose, just getting to where my charter was docked and ignored them. I didn't have much choice in avoiding that area, since that's where the boats went out from.

On the dive boats, no problem at all. Tourists like anywhere else, friendly, and just interested in diving. Staff on the dive boats, professional and courteous.

I think it's fine if you make it clear that you're not interested and not be too provocative in dressing and manner (this is debatable as there are varying levels and also subjective on a personal level). I've frequently travelled on dive trips alone in the Philippines and Indonesia and never had a problem there. Really wild parties, I give them a wide berth or only go with people I trust like the local dive/resort crew and staff that I've struck a rapport with, reminding them not to let me get too drunk or out of hand.

When I was diving in the Philippines I remember seeing a fairly large Westerner on a dive boat. I'll be kind and call him 50. He had brought two of his new Filipino girlfriends to come on the boat with him. I am going to be kind again, and say they were 16, but I am honestly not sure. I am a pretty open minded guy, but even I found that hard going to look at.

But he certainly did not bother anyone else.

I call BS on the "you can't impose your own morality" on others. I understand everyone is going to have different traditions, cultures, believes... but there has to be a line where everyone is entitled to their own basic human rights.

Ice Maiden,

I cannot give you a women's perspective, but I dive and spend a lot of time in the Philippines where I have family. It is my opinion that the men that travel to Asia for "sex tourism" are not going there to enter into a relationship or even bother Western women.

There are places where you will see poor behavior emphasized and displayed all the time, but those are not the places I suspect you will be visiting. In the hotel I stay at in Subic Bay, Philippines you will often see men with their new found girlfriends, but they are usually behaved and keep to themselves. If things do get loud or out of hand in the "family" areas, the hotel staff usually gets involved and have them move to the bar...which is NOT family friendly.

The activity is certainly not "invisible", but I have no issue bringing my children (14 year son and 22 year daughter) to the philippines or to the hotel in Subic. I think you will have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom