Help me choose where to dive in Asia/pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenchies4eva

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, first post though I have lurked a bit. I am looking to plan a trip of at least 2 weeks in summer 2019 and am 99% sure I want it to include ko samui. I'd like to tack on 1-2 more places but am kind of torn about where to do. Last year we spent a month in the South Pacific but everyone got very ill the day before we went to Fiji and weren't able to do any dives so that was a huge bummer and I'm considering going back to Fiji. We live in Los Angeles and right now I'm considering 2 strategies:

Fly to Singapore and then ko samui then fly to Fiji and then home.

Fly to Singapore to ko samui and then go to the Seychelles and then fly home via the Middle East.

Some things you'll probably ask:

We are certified up to advanced and are working on some other endorsements like search and rescue on our way to dive master. By the time we leave we will have about 100 dives.

Cost isn't a huge deal and we kind of prefer developed areas with nice hotels. We were in savusavu when my son got very ill and we had to take him to the public hospital there which I don't recommend. Nothing too remote or difficult to get to.

We don't really favor any particular type of diving, but we won't do a Liveaboard so nothing more than a day trip

We will bring our 8 year old.

Right now I'm looking at staying in Asia Pacific (possibly Bali or maybe the solomons) or going from asia to maybe seychelles or Mauritius but I'm open to any and all suggestions and I'm not even married to the idea of Thailand or Asia.

have you thought about New Caladonia? Hawaiian & Air Cailin do a codeshare on somedays from LAX - you would have to juggle the days around but I believe it's possible. NC & Isle De Pines apparently has some lovely diving - I've only snorkelled there 20 years ago but in sure recent reports are readily available. Scenery is lovely, very cultured very developed very French. Another option would be to pair NC with New Zealand and dive poor knights which is fabulous. Air NZ do direct flights to LAX and it's rather pretty if overcrowded with sheep topside.

May I ask why you have Koh Samui near the top of your list?

Last edited:
Haha I am not French but I have considered New Caledonia. It just seems likes it's difficult to get to/from adding on travel days.

Sorry I realised that and edited post - it's early here, I haven't had enough coffee. REspinse above should make more sense :D

It would be no more probably less travel time than to Seychelles...although Seychelles look awesome and would be great for a family holiday - diving may not be mind blowing but beaches are, just a conclusion from people I know who have dived there.

have you thought about New Caladonia? Hawaiian & Air Cailin do a codeshare on somedays from LAX - you would have to juggle the days around but I believe it's possible. NC & Isle De Pines apparently has some lovely diving - I've only snorkelled there 20 years ago but in sure recent reports are readily available. Scenery is lovely, very cultured very developed very French. Another option would be to pair NC with New Zealand and dive poor knights which is fabulous. Air NZ do direct flights to LAX and it's rather pretty if overcrowded with sheep topside.

May I ask why you have Koh Samui near the top of your list?

koh samui is on the top of the list because my husband has expressed an interest in going and we have never dived there. New Zealand is a thought New Caledonia was something I was considering, specifically Ile de pins.

koh samui is on the top of the list because my husband has expressed an interest in going and we have never dived there. New Zealand is a thought New Caledonia was something I was considering, specifically Ile de pins.

I'm a big fan of Thailand, don't get me wrong and I really believe everyone should have a most wanted destination...just be aware Thai diving is hit and miss.

Here is where YouTube is your friend..l often compare vids of destinations that interest me - I look for topside, underwater, good and any "ten top scams" type vids before I decide.

Time of year is also important to consider in Thailand. All the best...I've had more coffee so hope this makes some sense

Haven't dived there but have heard Ko Samui isn't spectacular. I'd consider some or the more spectacular spots. Wakatobi is good and supposedly is not catering more to families. I'd take a closer look at the great dive sites and then decide where to go. And are you interested in big stuff? corals? little stuff? How do you feel about currents?

There are so many places that are extraordinary dive sites.

I'm a big fan of Thailand, don't get me wrong and I really believe everyone should have a most wanted destination...just be aware Thai diving is hit and miss.

Here is where YouTube is your friend..l often compare vids of destinations that interest me - I look for topside, underwater, good and any "ten top scams" type vids before I decide.

Time of year is also important to consider in Thailand. All the best...I've had more coffee so hope this makes some sense
My husband looked at poor knights and really liked it so thanks for the suggestion!

Haven't dived there but have heard Ko Samui isn't spectacular. I'd consider some or the more spectacular spots. Wakatobi is good and supposedly is not catering more to families. I'd take a closer look at the great dive sites and then decide where to go. And are you interested in big stuff? corals? little stuff? How do you feel about currents?

There are so many places that are extraordinary dive sites.

Yes, ko samui isn't great and ko Tao is a 2 hour ferry ride which sucks, when I initially looked I thought it was closer which is why I chose it. We are not interested in big open ocean pelagic stuff. Currents are fine. There were tons of currents in Rarotonga and bora bora to where it was almost a drift dive and my husband loved it. We have less than 100 dives so we really feel like we are still exploring what is out there to see and aren't ruling much out, especially if the destination is spectacular topside.

Another 24 hours worth of coffee and your post becomes clearer all the time :wink:

I didn't even see Solomons in your original post - check out Uepi - I have dived there and wow.

Mauritius didn't really thrill me - it looks pretty until you pop next door to La Reunion which is spectacular top side but not what I'd call a dive must do destination.

If Thailand is still in the mix consider Koh Lanta or Khao Lak.

Another 24 hours worth of coffee and your post becomes clearer all the time :wink:

I didn't even see Solomons in your original post - check out Uepi - I have dived there and wow.

Mauritius didn't really thrill me - it looks pretty until you pop next door to La Reunion which is spectacular top side but not what I'd call a dive must do destination.

If Thailand is still in the mix consider Koh Lanta or Khao Lak.

I am considering Auckland, Vanuatu, the solomons and Fiji but we'd have to extend the trip at least a week. My only two reservations are: we have already been to Auckland and Fiji and the resorts near the good diving in fiji are all adults only and we want to take our 8 year old. A third concern is apparently Auckland is the asthma capital of the world and my son is an asthmatic and got extremely ill last time we went (see my post about going to a public hospital in Fiji lol).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom