Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure Pro Brett:
Well CSR, these situations are handled by Leisure Pro the same way any other dive shop would take care of them. Sometimes these items are sent to the manufacturer for warranty, in this case we only get the replaced / repaired item back and that goes to the customer. Other times we have to eat the loss and replace the item, If we have to replace the item then the broken one goes in the trash. In dealing with something like the regulator that piece of the body may be replaced by our tech and then the regulator is returned to the customer, the corroded and peeling piece is of course thrown away. The above situation is assuming that the products were broken due to a defect and not the consumer running over it with his car etc.

Brett

Thank you for your reply. I think the question is still unanswered. I can't make the assumption that LP operates like every other dive shop. Every other online and brick & mortar authorized dealer like us would contact the manufacturer for obvious warranty issues for a return authorization. You can't do that except with Tusa because you are not recognized as an authorized dealer for the equipment you sell. I have an even harder time believing your warranty would be able to handle these situations. You expect the people reading this to believe you throw away the $800 computer? You can't return it because it doesn't have a manufacturer's warranty. Does your tech change the boards in your clean room? Are you asking me to believe he strips a 1st stage down to the body and a 2nd stage down to the housing to cover a warranty claim? The labor would be prohibitive and the rebuilding process would require parts kits. So the reg goes in the trash with the computer? The only link in the warranty chain that can afford to replace these items new to the customer is the manufacturer. While we're at it, how do you handle a manufacturer's recall? Where do those products go?

DiversDiscountFlorida:
While we're at it, how do you handle a manufacturer's recall? Where do those products go?
A recall would be regardless of where the regulator was bought, AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

John

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Thank you for your reply. I think the question is still unanswered. I can't make the assumption that LP operates like every other dive shop. Every other online and brick & mortar authorized dealer like us would contact the manufacturer for obvious warranty issues for a return authorization. You can't do that except with Tusa because you are not recognized as an authorized dealer for the equipment you sell. I have an even harder time believing your warranty would be able to handle these situations. You expect the people reading this to believe you throw away the $800 computer? You can't return it because it doesn't have a manufacturer's warranty. Does your tech change the boards in your clean room? Are you asking me to believe he strips a 1st stage down to the body and a 2nd stage down to the housing to cover a warranty claim? The labor would be prohibitive and the rebuilding process would require parts kits. So the reg goes in the trash with the computer? The only link in the warranty chain that can afford to replace these items new to the customer is the manufacturer. While we're at it, how do you handle a manufacturer's recall? Where do those products go?

CSR.......these scubaboard readers are WAY too smart to receive the message you are trying to imply.

First, you only ASSUME that they can't get DIRECT factory service for almost everything they sell. You assume that fact because the factory sales rep tells you that. If you are going to start believing what THEY say, you are more lost than the newbies.

You and I are both scuba retailers. I run an online operation. I assume you do also. I don't need to cast any doubt about Leisure Pro or any other online operation to sell my stuff. If my customers they them and me, I think they will choose me. It's that simple.

LP is a good operation. They operate different from you and I. It doesn't make them bad, it makes them different. Dive stores HATE they way they do business because they hate to compete! Personally, I think LP is headed for trouble. They will find it harder and more expensive to compete with other authorized online stores. But I bet they will figure a way to respond. Why? They are pretty smart people. You don't get that big by being anything else.

Hey, just compete with them! Very simple.

Phil Ellis

PhilEllis:
CSR.......these scubaboard readers are WAY too smart to receive the message you are trying to imply.

First, you only ASSUME that they can't get DIRECT factory service for almost everything they sell. You assume that fact because the factory sales rep tells you that. If you are going to start believing what THEY say, you are more lost than the newbies.

You and I are both scuba retailers. I run an online operation. I assume you do also. I don't need to cast any doubt about Leisure Pro or any other online operation to sell my stuff. If my customers they them and me, I think they will choose me. It's that simple.

LP is a good operation. They operate different from you and I. It doesn't make them bad, it makes them different. Dive stores HATE they way they do business because they hate to compete! Personally, I think LP is headed for trouble. They will find it harder and more expensive to compete with other authorized online stores. But I bet they will figure a way to respond. Why? They are pretty smart people. You don't get that big by being anything else.

Phil Ellis
Yeah Phil!

Just to add my nickel. I went to pick something up yesterday at LP in NYC. I met Brett and Ben. First class guys. Very knowledgeable and super friendly. I have bought a lot of stuff there and have NEVER had a problem with purchases (or returns) whatsoever. I don't think that I would consider buying from anyone else, (OK, OK Larry at ST too - their service and attitude are so good).

I wonder when CSR at DD in Florida is going to realize that his whining is actually self destructive? Personally I would never buy from someone who relies on demeaning and complaining about their competition.

PhilEllis:

Phil Ellis

Hey Divers Direct Florida. Did you read Phil's comment above?

Got a question for you.

Will you compete with Leisure Pro and match their price? (or just whine about it).

BTW.... Phill will compete. He'll match their price. And he doesn't whine about it. He also get's a lot of respect and business off this and other boards.

Phil,

Very nicely stated reply. In every other retail type of industry, there is fair and open competition. It is the consumer who drives this market. The minute, the consumer is taken out of the equation, then the system is doomed to fail. That is my objection with Scubapro and other companies that are engaging in price fixing schemes. I would love to buy another Scubapro regulator but probably won't now (I'm currently leaning towards Apeks but haven't made my final decision yet). If more consumers get fed up with Scubapro's policy, the shops that carry Scubapro will suffer as well as Scubapro itself.

The whole world is going on-line. In order to stay in business, LDS's and dive equipment manufactures are going to have to either find a new niche or change their policies in order to compete.

Bob
P.S. I have written an e-mail to Scubapro to let them know how I feel about their policies and I encourage everyone else who feels the way I do to e-mail them as well.

daniel f aleman:
Brett,

How does the "grey-market" work?

This has been answered before. "Grey Market" refers to merchandise obtained through channels other than the manufacturer's supply chain in a particular country. It is perfectly legal, in most instances, to buy at wholesale, let's say Nikon cameras, from a distributor in another country. The purchaser can sell them at retail for whatever price he wants. In the case of the Nikons, the retail boxes have a warranty card from Nikon in Japan or another country. This is the so-called "international" warranty. The authorized distributor here in the USA does not have to honor this warranty; he has another deal worked out with Nikon Japan.

I chose Nikons because, as far as I know, LP is owned by Adorama, one of the leading photo retailers in NYC. They have had decades of experience in purchasing wholesale merchandise at good prices.

Uh, Gary.

I know how the grey-market works. Just interested in how they get a hold of Scubapro and Aqualung equipment...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom