Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Uh, Gary.

I know how the grey-market works. Just interested in how they get a hold of Scubapro and Aqualung equipment...

Well, I answered the question that you asked... :dork2:

About this new issue, my guess would be that they buy it from either the manufacturers, or from an out of the USA distributor. I do not buy SP, so I do not know about their brands outside the USA. I have bought AQ from LP and found the items to be the same as what I purchased from a LDS. Can someone perhaps from Europe tell us whether the AQ brand and model names are the same as here in the USA?

In any event, remember the famous sales prover, "Money talks and nobody walks!"

:D

Well, I think Viking and Sub-Zero can get away with it because there are enough really wealthy "brand snobs" who can afford to pay thousands more for that stuff than an equivalent Kitchen Aid or whatever. I don't see a tremendous amount of difference between the inexpensive Oceanic gear I just bought and the Aqua Lung reg set my LDS was pushing, other than a couple hundred bucks that I saved. That savings was enough to convince me, when I also considered the fact that Oceanic is really just as respected in terms of quality and performance as AL, but I'm not sure its enough to keep AL afloat in the end if they really don't have much if any real world competitive advantage. I think I'm rambling unclearly here, but the point is the difference in profit between a Viking range and something "normal people" buy is much greater than the difference between an Oceanic reg and one of these other brands.

jds

Web Monkey:
A quick look at other markets will show that "their policies" are the only thing that will keep their market and dealers alive in the coming years.

Exclusive brands sold in a tightly controlled dealer network has worked very nicely for all sorts of high-end consumer goods. As long as you can "own" the top slot in your market, everybody else is irrelevant.

Think Sub-Zero refrigerator or Viking ranges vs almost any other the others. While their competitors are out slitting each other's throats for an extra dollar of profit, the high end brands and their dealers are doing very nicely.

Terry

bureau13:
Well, I think Viking and Sub-Zero can get away with it because there are enough really wealthy "brand snobs" who can afford to pay thousands more for that stuff than an equivalent Kitchen Aid or whatever.
On a complete tangent, as a foodie I can tell you there are those who think my Kitchen Aid stuff is horribly overpriced compared to other lower end brands. :shrug:

John

daniel f aleman:
Brett,

How does the "grey-market" work?

Daniel,

The manufacturers consider items "Grey Market" if they are not purchased directly from the manufacturers US distribiutor. With that said, I unfortunately cannot tell you the source of any of our gear, just that sometimes it's the manufacturer directly, and sometimes it's other sources. What I can tell you is that the gear that you buy from us is the exact same stuff that you find at your LDS, and that the Leisure Pro warranty is exactly the same as the manufacturers warranty.

Brett

John_B:
A recall would be regardless of where the regulator was bought, AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

John

John, You are correct, in regards to a product recall manufacturers generally dont care who the gear was purchased from, even if it is purchased used. They just want to make sure that the products being serviced under the recall are actually the products being recalled (eg. proper serial number range etc).

tridacna:
Just to add my nickel. I went to pick something up yesterday at LP in NYC. I met Brett and Ben. First class guys. Very knowledgeable and super friendly. I have bought a lot of stuff there and have NEVER had a problem with purchases (or returns) whatsoever. I don't think that I would consider buying from anyone else, (OK, OK Larry at ST too - their service and attitude are so good).

I wonder when CSR at DD in Florida is going to realize that his whining is actually self destructive? Personally I would never buy from someone who relies on demeaning and complaining about their competition.

tridacna, It's good to connect a face to the user name! Thanks for the compliments too!

bureau13:
Well, I think Viking and Sub-Zero can get away with it because there are enough really wealthy "brand snobs" who can afford to pay thousands more for that stuff than an equivalent Kitchen Aid or whatever. I don't see a tremendous amount of difference between the inexpensive Oceanic gear I just bought and the Aqua Lung reg set my LDS was pushing, other than a couple hundred bucks that I saved. That savings was enough to convince me, when I also considered the fact that Oceanic is really just as respected in terms of quality and performance as AL, but I'm not sure its enough to keep AL afloat in the end if they really don't have much if any real world competitive advantage. I think I'm rambling unclearly here, but the point is the difference in profit between a Viking range and something "normal people" buy is much greater than the difference between an Oceanic reg and one of these other brands.
Tell you what ... frankly I find Oceanic and Mares equipment is at least the equal, it not the superior when compared to ScubaPro and U.S.D. and that regardless of price.

Web Monkey:
It's a great deal if you happen to want the Classic Plus in Extra-Small, or the KightKawk in "Out of Stock" . . .

These are all leftovers. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to buy the last one of something they can't get anymore.

Terry

Terry, if they have any Rolex dive watches left over, I'd like to be the first to know please. Any size will do! :eyebrow: Or any other dive equipment in fact. What is wrong with a "leftover"? Are you saying that they don't work? Bad design? It's unlucky to buy the the stuff? Last year, I got a "leftover" Atomic reg from them for $100. Are you saying that I got a bad deal?

tridacna:
Terry, if they have any Rolex dive watches left over, I'd like to be the first to know please. Any size will do! :eyebrow: Or any other dive equipment in fact. What is wrong with a "leftover"? Are you saying that they don't work? Bad design? It's unlucky to buy the the stuff? Last year, I got a "leftover" Atomic reg from them for $100. Are you saying that I got a bad deal?

"Bad Deal" is your term. If you like what you bought, that's all that counts. Personally I like to buy things from places that have a more stable supply chain.

Terry

Web Monkey:
"Bad Deal" is your term. If you like what you bought, that's all that counts. Personally I like to buy things from places that have a more stable supply chain.

Terry

Would that be the store you "dive con" through?

Back
Top Bottom