Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton:
This warranty service thing is just plain baloney! Every time I've had my regs serviced It's been somewhere different each time. I've never been asked to prove where I bought it. If I were asked such a thing I would turn around and walk right out. Send them to LP, ST, Divesports, Divers Direct, Divers Supply, etc.... If you are on vacation and have a problem you go to one of the many dive shops that are at most "vacation destinations" and you pay to have it fixed. What ever they charge will be minimal and hardly worth paying double up front to avoid some fictitious warranty issue. Please........
Exactly. For me, it makes even less differnce since I do my own service and repair and never travel without an IP gauge, a few tools and a service kit.

It is quite easy to avoid those last minute problems. Buy at least 2 of everything. I tried carring an IP guage, parts and tools when I traveled. But then I decided it was better to limit on the road repairs to external o-rings and swapping major components. Now, I just carry an extra complete reg on the boat and another minimal reg that stays in the room.

leah:
What is wrong with a closeout? Does that mean that when a company comes out with a new product line their old stuff no longer works?
I'm saying that I would prefer to know if I'm being sold something that is no longer in production.

As far as being the last one on the shelf of a certain item, are you saying that when and LDS gets down to the last item that they don't sell them because the product has suddenly gone bad?:rofl3:
I'm just asking for a little sunshine. Nothing to get all huffy about.

Here is the deal, you have hundreds of satisfied LP customers like myself and you keep telling us that we will be unhappy and that we are getting the short end of the stick. Sorry but your logic just doesn't follow.
You need to read before hitting the reply button. I don't care what you buy or where you buy it. As long as you're happy, that's all that really matters to you.

What I'm saying is that it would be nice if they noted the warranty status and general origin of all their products so the buyer could make an informed decision. If they're not trying to deceive people, they should have no problem with this.

Terry

Web Monkey:
What I'm saying is that it would be nice if they noted the warranty status and general origin of all their products so the buyer could make an informed decision. If they're not trying to deceive people, they should have no problem with this.

Terry

Apparently, a lot of divers don't feel the same way you do. It would seem there are enough divers who are more concerned with selection and savings than they are with specific warrenty status and the route the gear took to go from the mfgr to the retailer. Isn't LP the largest scuba retailer in the US? Maybe in the world?

Web Monkey:
I see no deceit, they offer a piece of gear at a certain price. If they were to cite the origin, in many cases the gear would not be available, since it comes from the manufacturer with a agreement to not reveal its source.

awap:
It is quite easy to avoid those last minute problems. Buy at least 2 of everything. I tried carring an IP guage, parts and tools when I traveled. But then I decided it was better to limit on the road repairs to external o-rings and swapping major components. Now, I just carry an extra complete reg on the boat and another minimal reg that stays in the room.
You're right, I do always have a backup setup with me, but I have the tools and such also ... remote sites and all that.

awap:
Apparently, a lot of divers don't feel the same way you do.
That would be their call.

It would seem there are enough divers who are more concerned with selection and savings than they are with specific warrenty status and the route the gear took to go from the mfgr to the retailer.
Actually, most never know anything about any of this until after the purchase. That's why I'd like to see better labeling on their website.

Isn't LP the largest scuba retailer in the US? Maybe in the world?
I have no idea. I would suspect nobody else knows either.

Terry

Web Monkey,

I really don't see how me knowing the route that the gear got to LP or any other store makes it work better for me. Again as long as they aren't stealing the stuff. I do frown upon people trying to sell me stolen goods. They have the warranty info listed right on the web site. All I have to do is read that like I read about all the other stuff there while I am clicking away.

My close out regs breathe really well, just like the would have if I had paid hundreds more a few months earlier at an LDS when they weren't closeouts. At some point every item becomes a close out and at some point every model of everything will have one last one on the shelf--well except for jet fins--those thing just keep pumping out of the machine!

If I want to know what is the latest and greatest most up to date gear, while I am on the internet looking at LP, ST,or DS, I just open another browser window and go to the manufacturer web site and check it out for myself. It is all right there on the screen in front me me. It is not the retailers job to tell me everything. I can compare several mfg's all from the comfort of my wi-fi lap top.

Web Monkey:

Terry

Apparently you really don't shop at Leisure Pro. If you did you would know that they disclose warranty information and even discuss origin right on the first page. Its all in the big box in the middle of the page. Actually I find LP to be very upfront, direct, and honest about everything they sell and all of their polices. If it is an old model they say so right in the description. The only deception that I'm aware of is perpetrated by some manufacturers and LDS's.

Actually I'd like to see them put on there the warranty information for "each product" instead of just the first page. that and "authorized dealer product".

They do this for their Adorama site. If you go look at a Cannon D40 for example, if I remember corretly some will say 5 year factory warranty and other will say one year warranty. (Meaning the one year one is an "international" warranty). typically the ones that come from the authorized dealer source cost just a smidge more.

To answer AWAP's question. I think LP is the largest scuba retailer in the US. I've read/heard reports that they do about $20million per year in scuba retail business. (if someone can verify this, let me know). Next in line is Scuba.com, with about $12 to $15 million per year in business.

I don't know where the list goes from there. But I'm sure that some of the "bigger name stores" that have multiple locations like Divers Direct, Sports Chalet,etc run in the upper end of that list.

As for board favorite Scubatoys, this should show the growth of internet scuba sales. In 2002, Scubatoys reported they did about $2million in sales. They now do about $5 million a year. HUGE increase in just 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom