Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the 70's when I started engineering school, calculators were not at all common. I got one for Xmas in first year, it needed to be charged and only had about a 3 or 4 hour battery life. I still took my slide rule to every test and exam right up to 4th year. ( I was not the only one that carried it to exams either.) I did come in handy a couple of times on longer exams when the calculator charge would get flaky near the end. In grad school it was two calculators.

My driver license is a half century old, I have driven a few million kms in my lifetime. I have only had perhaps 5 or 6 flat tires. I have a spare in the trunk of my car right now.

I have a Perdix AI and keep my console attached, redundant SPG, depth gauge and compass.

The slide rule was no trouble to carry to exams, the spare tire is mounted in the trunk and no issue to bring along, the console is no issue either, It is already on the reg and I just bolt snap it on the back plate out of the way.

The slide rule and spare tire came in handy a few times, the redundant console, just not yet.

I have only had perhaps 5 or 6 flat tires. I have a spare in the trunk of my car right now.
... and spare tire came in handy a few times, the redundant console, just not yet.
In the U.K. there is a trend for new cars not to have space for a spare tyre. A tin of run flat foam is provided. Reduces: weight for better fuel economy and costs for the manufacture.

Mods. If I’ve gone too far off topic, please remove.

I have been diving a Suunto Cobra for over 20 years and it has never failed me once. I don't use a spg as a back up. I would never do that with a Shearwater with all the issues they have been having.

Several hundred dives never had one issue with my Shearwater Perdix which I bought to replace my Suunto which had a failure of the pressure sensor Suunto refused to fix as it was " out of warranty" You see many posts on SB where a Shearwater owner has had an issue and Shearwater replace their device with a new one or fix a faulty one for shipping cost only even when out of warranty.

I still bring use digital SPG and as I kept the analogue one that travels with me as well.

I’ve had 4-5 transmitters die and just not connect to perdix anymore.
Swap regs swap batteries wait days turn on 1 at a time it’s always completely dead. Various brands but from what I gather they are all made by a few manufacturers and just rebranded.
I really liked them OC sidemount but for the most part I just knew when I had to switch regs and was usually within 50 psi of what I expected for pressure.
Now that I’m on ccr I haven’t bothered to throw on transmitters but I probably will at some point. Gauges are much nicer for quick checks. Getting ready.

If there was a way to read the battery life on my transmitter I might remove the spg, but I'll keep it for now. My spg is accurate, while my computer reads 200psi less.

My Perdix gives transmitter battery level and a warning when it is getting low. I always change them as soon as I get a warning, but have done 3 hour dives post warning, so it comes fairly early.

Edit: Both of my transmitters where bought used on ebay in the late 2000s. I originally used them with two Oceanic PDCs (Also ebay) and had no problems with them either.

When I first went wireless I carried an SPG in my parts box with hose, I no longer bother but I still put one on my reg to rinse or test it and to check fills, just to keep from using the battery up while leaving things pressurized.

yes when on open circuit

I am speaking when you are on OC. Weren't you one of the most ardent anti-AI on SB not too long ago (on OC of course)?

Of course you don't need a spg, just use a J valve. Mike Nelson didn't have no stinkin spg.

Back
Top Bottom