Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a J valve. I don't need any spg.
I was certified in Southern California in 1970, and dived for two years with just a J valve, watch, and capillary depth gauge. I added a SPG in 1972 and dived with my J valve down. I much preferred knowing how much gas I had in my steel 72, modern technology :)

I've added a backup SPG (Cressi Digi 2) to my Suunto D5. It all depends on your comfort level with technology and failure rates.
If you have a Suunto then a backup SPG is an excellent idea.

I was certified in Southern California in 1970, and dived for two years with just a J valve, watch, and capillary depth gauge. I added a SPG in 1972 and dived with my J valve down. I much preferred knowing how much gas I had in my steel 72, modern technology :)
Same in New England. Except we removed the J-valve pull-rods on the bottom to use as lobster tickle sticks, then reinstalled them before surfacing. Tricky with a three-finger mitt.

You haven’t lived until you hand cranked the model T.
A 27.5kw generator isn’t the easiest thing to start if there isn’t any air left in the tank. After 7 revolutions the valve holder released.

I’ve noticed some new cars being advertised with 10 automatic gears. A bit different from when I drove 120 ton tank transporters with 36 manual gears.

If you have a Suunto then a backup SPG is an excellent idea.

Let me guess: If I had a Shearwater instead, I would never experience any issues, my penis would grow longer and I would look more technical right?

IMO a backup SPG is always a good idea, especially if you need to know your remaining air in case of a malfunction. I prefer to ascend normally AND perform my (kind of standard) safety stops as I usually dive the same wrecks in Madeira island instead of simply bailing so I always carry a backup dive plan with me as well as a 'backup' computer in my wife's wrist.

With Suunto I've had mixed experiences in the last 20 years. My Stinger never gave me any issues while my D9 got the infamous sensor corrosion issue that resulted in a law suit in US but nothing major happened in EU so I still own the watch but can't really use it. FYI I get a very good discount due to the cooperation Suunto has with my employer (almost 30%) so for me its a no brainer.

My D5 has been excellent so far and I have no issues whatsoever with it. I prefer watch sized computers than the typical big screen clunky ones although in the future I might change as my eyes are getting bad by the minute (Scubapro HUD seems like a good alternative).

If there's one thing I've learned being in forums all these years AND managing customer's complains in the automotive sector is that they are the worse place to get gear reviews. The main reason being that the majority of folks having issues are posting here / there (logical as they are pissed) while there are many other thousands of divers using the same gear that never experienced any problems at all but don't bother to comment on it.

I am definitely not going to play the fanboy computer game with you or anybody else. I don't know what brand you use and I don't care. If you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Its like the old saying:

What does a computer programmer use as a contraceptive.

His personality

Back
Top Bottom