Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why anyone would bother with and spend money on a transmitter air gauge is beyond my understanding. A hose connected SPG is relatively foolproof, inexpensive, and secure. Do people get these transmitted devices because they are equipment junkies? One less hose is silly.
We are all individual.
But there are always someone would say that his/her is better than your!

I guess you are not alone. I don't hear stories like this about PPS transmitters.
Yeah. Not surprised that it was a Suunto transmitter. In almost every instance I’ve heard of where a diver has complained about connectivity, it was a Suunto. In fact, the only non-Suunto case I recall recently was a Garmin. And in that case, it connected above the water, but not below when the transmitter switched to sonar. Bad design, IMO if you can’t verify the connection above the water in the same manner as below.

Why anyone would bother with and spend money on a transmitter air gauge is beyond my understanding. A hose connected SPG is relatively foolproof, inexpensive, and secure. Do people get these transmitted devices because they are equipment junkies? One less hose is silly.
Well, it is one less hose. That hose takes up space, but I wouldn’t say that was the primary reason. The main benefit is having all the information I need during a dive in one place where I know where it is at any time. Even if I can’t see my hands, I know where they are.

I switched to wireless AI back in 2013. Up until this year, I dove with a wireless AI setup exclusively. This year, I started to dive at an aquarium as a volunteer. At the aquarium, I need to use their gear. They have almost the same setup I use, but their regs have an SPG instead of my transmitter. It’s not a problem, but it certainly is more convenient to simply look at my computer versus feeling for the SPG. I tuck the SPG under my shoulder strap, so it doesn’t go far, but it’s also not quite as effortless as raising my wrist.

Not only that, but AI can also give you more detailed information about gas consumption at every moment during a dive, assuming that you download from the DC. On most of my dives, gas consumption is greater at the beginning of the dive, which makes sense as I add a few bursts to my BC at the bottom. On a few dives, I can also see a few other points with higher consumption. Probably when I was hunting a fish, so not unexpected, but if not hunting, that may be something to look at.

You aren't one of these guys that still want to drive manual transmission and talk down automatic cars?

I know many drivers who could not drive a car with clutch. Why there are three pedals on the floor of the driver's side!!!!!

I am more than happy with spg. Period.
I could not careless about AI. No problem with anyone using one but just do not tell me it is better etc etc.

You haven’t lived until you hand cranked the model T.

You aren't one of these guys that still want to drive manual transmission and talk down automatic cars?
Actually, yes. Once, in Dominica, the vehicle rental operator met me at the tiny airport with an automatic transmission SUV instead of the manual transmission I'd specified. "Americans cannot drive clutch" he said. I had to insist, and he first made me drive around the airport with a manual transmission vehicle while he sat in the passenger seat. Another time, in Grenada, the rental people mournfully told me that they only had standard transmission cars available. I just smiled. Both my current vehicles are standard transmission. I like driving, not just steering. Nothing wrong with automatics, though, unless you are driving off-road or on bad roads.

If you've installed an air pressure transmitter that shows you remaining pressure on your dive computer, do you really need the hose SPG?

Sure, if the transmitter or computer malfunctioned, you needn't end the dive because the spg is there.

But to retain the spg in the unlikely event of a malfunctioning transmitter and be able to continue that dive?

You'd bring and store your spg and of the transmitter malfunctions, it takes a movie with a wrench between dives to connect.

Or are there other reasons to have the spg?

I've added a backup SPG (Cressi Digi 2) to my Suunto D5. It all depends on your comfort level with technology and failure rates.

Yo
The answer for me is no. Although I have an air integrated console (Suunto Cobra), a transmitter attached to my Mikron reg would take the same, and only, HP port - so I can't attach a SPG. Have been without a backup for quite some time. For those wondering, the AquaLung Mikron today comes with 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports - I got mine in 2010 - it only has 1HP and 4 LP ports.

You can add an HP port splitter to solve that issue :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom