Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The OP asked a very reasonable question. Many of the replies are thoughtful, and provide useful information. Not all users agree - which is part of the value of SB discussions. But, let's keep the discussion focused on the question(s), and leave personalities and bickering out of it.

OP here

After about a hundred dives without an SPG, my (shearwater) transmitter has worked flawlessly.

I trust modern technology but also realize that things fail.

My theory, a hundred dives ago, remains valid.
I can forego the spg for hundreds of dives and if it (transmitter) malfunctions during a dive, I'll simply abort and reconnect my spg.

The 1 aborted dive is worth foregoing the spg for hundreds of dives.

My personal opinion.

And if the question of aborting a dive caused my partner to prematurely and unnecessarily abort his/her dive.
No, I'll guide my partner to another nearby diver, pair them up and then singly abort my own dive.
Because I always quiz myself when checking my air every fifteen minutes. I've always been +/- 10 bar from what I determined I have versus what the computer said.ill not an air guzzler.

Just ran across this image that solves several problems for those divers that want redundancy for their AI.
resized_20200814_184128-jpeg.628954.jpg

It was in this thread: Hose setup..need advice!
You have both an SPG and a transmitter (in case your transmitter dies).
You have a hose so someone doesn't grab your transmitter as a handle (old argument).
You have your transmitter near the front of your bcd (for those that complain about transmitter reception issues).
You don't have much of an additional failure point, since the button SPG is bolted right to the adapter, with no hose.

I may give this a try with a shorter hose that tucks up under my arm out of the way, but accessible if I truly have a failure!

Here's the adapter:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/p/1743092472

I will keep my transmitter directly connected to my 1st stage and have a SPG under my left arm, attached to my left chest D ring. Thanks very much. Why would I want my transmitter dangling around with the rest of my stuff? This is getting a bit carried away. The topic of direct connect vs. short hose has been addressed previously. Of course, do what you want

This is getting a bit carried away.
I dunno. I thought it was inventive!
There are those that say that having a direct rigid mount to your first stage is a potential risk either in an overhead environment or with a deck monkey grabbing your rig. I buy that second argument from personal experience, and use a 6" hose, myself.
If you buy into that, and you want redundancy, this both removes a second hose and moves the transmitter to a protected location closer to its receiver.
Like I said, I thought it was inventive. I may try it!

I dunno. I thought it was inventive!
There are those that say that having a direct rigid mount to your first stage is a potential risk either in an overhead environment or with a deck monkey grabbing your rig. I buy that second argument from personal experience, and use a 6" hose, myself.
If you buy into that, and you want redundancy, this both removes a second hose and moves the transmitter to a protected location closer to its receiver.
Like I said, I thought it was inventive. I may try it!
To each, their own

I have an analog SPG clipped off my BCD. Of the AI computer or transmitter dies, I can continue diving on my backup computer and the SPG. An SPG is useful for breath checks before jumping in the water too.

More real world data to contribute:

I had the pairing feature fail on my Suunto AI/transmitter in the water this weekend. This is at least the 3rd or 4th time it’s happened. Perhaps it’s just my equipment. Though, had it not been for a backup hardlined AI (which I use as both an SPG and backup computer) I would have scrubbed the dive.

The pairing feature was out of commish all weekend, actually. I just couldn’t get it to pair no matter what I tried. Brand new battery in the transmitter. Ended up double dipping the Spiegel Grove the next day using my other AI. No problem. No missed dives. No configuration changes. Just called on the backup to do it’s job.

TBH I’m getting fed up with Sunnto and their customer service. My next machine will be a Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom