Does anyone wear identification while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive log. It's all in there and always accessible by those who I'm diving with. I always make sure to have hotel and persons traveling with info in there as well when vacationing.

IMHO -

1. Dive Log - and making sure your dive buddy and the Boat's Divemaster know where it is at.
2. Dog Tag - Let's face it.... it will only come in usefull in two instances - a. when you are incoherent or don't have motor skills in the hands to write, or b. in case your body is found floating months later or washes up on a beach...in which case the only reason to have it is so that the authorities know which embassy to call.

Some of the guys serving overseas tattoo their info on the side of their ribcage (on their torso) in case something happens that the dog tags are not available.

Let's face it..... the only way to not become a statistic is to get more diving education and training, practice regular prudent diving and know your own limitations. All the gadgets, gizmos and other assorted crap out there are nice to have and may help if used correctly, but most are basically fluff and give a lot of people a false sense of security.

I went online and found a company that makes custom dog tags; I've got a jumbo stainless tag secured to one of my BC's "D" rings. I also have a dog tag riveted to the face of my logbook binder.
Mine says:
Full legal name
DOB (spelled out, because some countries format month / day / year. Others format day / month / year)
"Emergency info located in green & yellow logbook, Page 1"

As for the notion 'my buddy knows me' . . . I occasionally drop by LDS-scheduled-events and get partnered with a random diver that I've never met before. There's less than a 50:50 chance he'll remember my name an hour later. In the event of an emergency / tragedy I don't want anyone saying "Who is this guy??"

IMHO A custom dog tag is really cheap (costs 1 air fill) and just makes sense on so many different levels...

Last edited:
I went online and found a company that makes custom dog tags; I've got a jumbo stainless tag secured to one of my BC's "D" rings. I also have a dog tag riveted to the face of my logbook binder.
Mine says:
Full legal name
DOB (spelled out, because some countries format month / day / year. Others format day / month / year)

As for the notion 'my buddy knows me' . . . I occasionally drop by LDS-scheduled-events and get partnered with a random diver that I've never met before. There's less than a 50:50 chance he'll remember my name an hour later. In the event of an emergency / tragedy I don't want anyone saying "Who is this guy??"

IMHO A custom dog tag is really cheap (costs 1 air fill) and just makes sense on so many different levels...
Agreed on all counts!

Better safe than sorry!

My full suits are in dark color, sometimes it's hard to identify me when visibility is low. I use white color waterproof fabric paint write my name in bold and big capital on my mask strap cover where you can easily read it, and emergency contact at the down corner. Those writings shines when torch/sun light rise on it. This is what I've done.

Mine says:
Full legal name

And this company is....?

And this company is....?

Just do an internet search for "custom dog tag" and these companies are all over the place.

These are the folks I went with:
Military Dog Tags Generator : Make and buy personalized Dog tags online for people and pets with the dogtag builder.
but it looks like they discontinued the "jumbo size"!?! :depressed:
Just like Twinkies, I guess you have to get them before it's too late!

++internet search++
Scratch that, here's another outfit that does the Jumbo ones.
http://www.usadogtags.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom