Does anyone wear identification while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting thread.

We have Dog Tags to warn paramedics/ambulance services that we are divers and Entonox could bring on a bend NO ENTONOX Dog Tag. (I even carry a warning in my wallet.)

But nothing for medical ID.
Very interesting... I wonder if any of these issues exists in the states?

So, most pertinent info would be? DAN#, Emerg contact, Name, DOB, Country/Address?, Allergies, Blood type, Organ Donation?

Am I missing anything? What would be most important given the limited space on these?
My thoughts:
Name/Year of Birth -- Full birthday is a waste of space, year provides age to paramedics
City/State/Country -- Full address is just a waste of space and security risk
Emergency Contacts -- I have both of my parents on mine
Allergy Information or No Known Allergies
DAN # will be a good one
Organ Donation if worse comes to worse

Jury is still out if blood type is necessary in the US. Any paramedics know how first responders administer blood if necessary? O-? Or do they actually have some of each on the ambulance?

Regarding DAN... I'm still new to diving and haven't signed up. Do they keep a medical file on you and do they give this info out to first responders?

I guess I need to think more globally. In the US the standard of care is 100% o2 for paramedics to administer. If suspected CNS involvement and siezures etc. we would treat with valium. I suppose we could patch with our base Dr for orders for pain management, but would probably be given orders for MS.

In the ER I would doubt Nitrous would be used as there are much better methods for pain management.

As far as the rest of the comments regarding cards etc in BC pockets, I think that would be a better choice than nothing, but my initial thought is that the BC or wetsuit would most likely be cut off from an unresponsive pt, and may or may not be checked for medical information. My experience shows even the Dr's and staff in the ER dont really check pockets early in the event, as they are really worried about the Pt and their immediate life concerns. A bracelet or dog tag would be much more likely to be noticed.

Jeff

---------- Post Merged at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Very interesting... I wonder if any of these issues exists in the states?

Jury is still out if blood type is necessary in the US. Any paramedics know how first responders administer blood if necessary? O-? Or do they actually have some of each on the ambulance?

I do not know of any Paramedics in the US that carry whole blood or blood products. (that doesn't mean there are none) The national standard for fluid replacement (trauma) is saline.

Jeff

Just for the record, how many incidents are there each year where this type of ID would be useful?

My guess is zero but your mileage may vary. I have been around when people have died diving... We knew who they were and who to contact. Same with injuries. Punters with medical allergies et al tend to wear a medic alert tag or something similar.

Seems like just another piece of tat to me.

How many of you carry a printed copy of the five-minute neurological exam, a boat operator's license and can work a marine radio... Way more useful... But just my opinion.

I also include unique id info, in my case, my passport number. A simple name provides little to id an unconscious or dead diver. You can use SSN or Drivers License, etc.

Also, my Med insurance provider number and contact phone number.

In addition, I have a MyIHR account, which has a complete medical profile, as well as my Pacemaker type, medications, Emergency contacts, doctors, and anything else I can think of. Even if still conscious, it can be difficult to recall all this info. Set it up once, and it's little hassle after that. Do you remember when YOU had your last tetanus shot? Since it's stored online, you can add whatever info you wish.

In foreign countries, you may well be interfacing with someone that has poor, or no, command of spoken English, yet still may be able to recognise key phrases in print.

I try to do what I can to put the odds in my favour, and leave as little as possible to chance.

This contact info is also on my dogtags.

Hahaha, awesome.

I like this idea a lot. Particularly the above style ^ For diving itself and travel in foreign countries. I had little laminated cards with info on them on my last trip, stuck one in a BC pocket, one in the save a dive kit, etc. On the person is much better IMO.

So, most pertinent info would be? DAN#, Emerg contact, Name, DOB, Country/Address?, Allergies, Blood type, Organ Donation?

Am I missing anything? What would be most important given the limited space on these?

Great thread!

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:40 PM ----------

From my perspective, the real question is, "Were I to have a problem, might such info prove to be beneficial to me?"

Its never happened to me, but the past is a poor predictor of the future.

Just for the record, how many incidents are there each year where this type of ID would be useful?

My guess is zero but your mileage may vary. I have been around when people have died diving... We knew who they were and who to contact. Same with injuries. Punters with medical allergies et al tend to wear a medic alert tag or something similar.

Seems like just another piece of tat to me.

How many of you carry a printed copy of the five-minute neurological exam, a boat operator's license and can work a marine radio... Way more useful... But just my opinion.

Very useful to divers with severe senile dementia. "What the hell is my name?"

Fairly new here, but I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm in the process of completing my Rescue Diver training (last open water scenarios are tomorrow) and through all the classes including EFR and 02 provider courses, it was a real eye-opener to see how ill prepared I was for most emergency situations. Getting vital info about an unresponsive victim/patient quickly to EMS is pretty critical. So today, I picked up First Aid + trauma kits for the house and all three cars and I ordered the FIXX ID dog tags for myself from roadid.com (no affiliation). I figure between that and my DAN insurance it's pretty cheap peace of mind.

If I remember to get them out, I wear a set of dogtags under my wet suit. One is a stainless steel DAN insurance tag and the other is a standard military stainless steel dogtag with my name, insurance company, medical insurance polity number and blood type. You never know if you are going to get carted off to the hospital.

I like Diver Girls Petsmart idea, a little id cant hurt may come in handy

Back
Top Bottom