Does anyone wear identification while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Let's face it, scuba is a sport that can be dangerous. I participate in other sports that can be dangerous like cycling and running. While doing these, I am wearing a RoadID and wondered if there was anything similar that scuba divers wear.

Since most types of RoadID's are wrist or ankle mounted, they would either be under the wetsuit or have to be put on and taken off each time you suited up, and would make it easy to forget.

For those who aren't familiar with RoadID's, this is what mine looks like. I wear it every time I'm cycling or running, just in case I get hurt and lose consciousness. I'm seldom carrying a wallet or other form of ID, so this provides first responders with my name, age, hometown, emergency contacts, and allergy info.

RoadID.jpg

While doing my Open Water dives, it occurred to me that I'm not carrying any ID. Other than my dive buddy, who might not always know my medical history, let alone my parents nor my last name, I'd like to cary something in a fairly conspicuous place. Does anyone know anything of the sort? Any BCD mounted ID tags?

DAN site says they are not currently available.

Divers Alert Network

I haven't ordered anything from this place but it might work if you used the stainless tag.

Personalized People Tags - Necklaces, Bracelets, Luggage Tags!

So it's looking like the RoadID Fixx ID might be the way to go. When training for triathlons my RoadID Sport is with me always. No problems with chlorinated water nor freshwater without going out of my way to clean it.

Looks like I'll get getting one with a yellow silencer (as all the emergency/safety gear on my BCD is colored yellow)

Yes, we keep id in the water proof canister that our PLBs are in. Id is a good idea for the body recovery.

No, but that's a great idea and the RoadID seems like the best option

Yes, we keep id in the water proof canister that our PLBs are in. Id is a good idea for the body recovery.
Not necessarily body recovery but any instance that a person loses consciousness.

While my dive buddy is one of my best friends, I can assure you he doesn't know my medical history like my mother does.

I think carrying ID is a great idea

At first I dove with an engraved dog tag around my neck and under my wetsuit.
Over time that changed into my personal identification, insurance and DAN membership # being clearly written on underwater wet notes that are stored in my X shorts or drysuit pocket. Even when diving with good friends, I think it's wise to have personal identification and insurance info on board.

I haven't ever needed it, but we plan for the worst, right? :)

I would think you would want the ID on your body somewhere. In an emergency you may be separated from your gear. To each his own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom