Does anyone wear identification while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my old military dog tags and on my Save A Dive kit I have my Dan TAG. It also has the POC's to call in case of an emergency. I brief my buddys and any dive boat crew where my tag is and that if there is an emergency use the POC and DAN info.

I also carry my car key with me and tell my buddy that unless he wants to walk he has to find me if I go missing. Hopefully that will make him look harder. :wink:

Floridas 5 year plastic fishing license requires an ID with it. I carry an expired drivers license, saltwater fishing license and a plastic lobster gauge on a lanyard around my neck. If I get stopped on the water I can just hand the guy the lanyard.

The reason I carry the gauge is that I lost one once at the end of the dive. I had six legal lobster and was doing a beach dive. A gauge is required by law, I was really nervous going across the beach. No more, one gauge is only for presentation

I don't wear any id while diving, but this is a good idea. Usually I'm with a decently-experienced buddy, and hopefully, if there is a problem with me, he doesn't have a problem either and he can get help. But I might just bring a plastic ID card to put on my undergarment.

I've attached one of my old army dog tags (with ssn filed off) attached to my bc. I also have an envelope in my save a dive kit with all pertinent information (next of kin info, medical insurance info, relifious preference, etc.) I mention to whoever I dive with where it is in the event it is needed.

How about tattooing your info?

Good thread, this is not something I've thought about it. The Dan tags were on my list of things to buy, but I have been looking for other options.

I have our DAN id number and phone number to call along with name and our phone# engraved on a 1" brass disk on mine and the wife's BC. Many years ago I purchased a my wife a medical ID bracelet she wears regarding alergic reactions to certin meds...

lee

I don't wear any id while diving, but this is a good idea. Usually I'm with a decently-experienced buddy, and hopefully, if there is a problem with me, he doesn't have a problem either and he can get help. But I might just bring a plastic ID card to put on my undergarment.

Hope doesn't help much. Any med info, blood type, conditions, etc. makes it easier for the medics.

Worst case, having some kind of ID makes it easier to help identify the body.

I got a set of dog tags made up - I wear them under my drysuit.

Primary reason is because I had a friend disappear on a dive many years ago (I wasn't involved in the dive) and, when they were recovered some 10 years later, another friend had to identify them by their drysuit. Not a process they enjoyed and not one I'd want to subject anyone else to.

As an aside, maybe things are different in the US but in the UK putting blood type on these things is pretty pointless. If you need blood and there is time for testing you will only get blood on the basis of a sample taken from you and analysed for type and not from any information on any ID tag. If you need blood and there isn't time to test then you'll be given O- regardless. Issuing blood from the bank and then giving it to a patient solely on the basis of a tag would get everyone in the chain struck-off, even if the patient survived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom