Does anyone dive with tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm realtively new to diving, especially in open water situations. I am a dive mechanic at a theme park and most of my diving is in the 15-20 foot range. I am really wanting to start diving outside of work and multiple people are telling me I will "need" a computer to even get started. I know they are nice and very helpful tools, but are they a "need" for someone who is doing the ocassional rec dive, not exceeding 80 feet? Does anyone still dive off of charts or has everyone pretty much gone to computers? Thanks for any input and sorry if it is a stupid question.

Computers are really nice if you do repetitive diving or dives with depths that change a lot during the dive but I don't think you need a computer to start out. I didn't get one until after AOW. I found in the beginning that my air supply limited my dive time more than my NDL did. If funds are limited I'd buy a wetsuit and a BC before I bought a regulator or a computer.

Again, we agree. We are discussing new OW divers.

But giving a new diver a dive table would convince him that he can't be trusted with it until he learns something.

Not exactly. Remove both the tables and computer, given just a depth gauge, which group is more likely to ascend properly if one suspects they have strayed out of NDL? There is no longer a beeping computer to guide the new OW student.

Excellent! Why do you do that?

Me too. And if it were impossible for a recreational diver to accidently encounter a deco obligation, I would be 100% with you.

If I find myself underwater and the least bit unsure of the safety of a direct ascent, I will take simple actions to alleviate my concern.

Allowing for an NDL violation is all part of being aware of your situation. I don't see how diving a computer takes away from that. Again, I suggest that some here are confusing bad dive habits with equipment. If someone can't be trusted with a computer, I have to agree with the poster that suggested they probably can't be trusted with tables either. Anyone that is inclined to become lazy or complacent while diving, will most likely find a way to do so regardless of the equipment they dive.

I think what we're seeing in this thread is somewhat akin to nitrox once upon a time being called voodoo gas. Eventually, that will fade...I'm just kind of surprised at how long it's taking.

I can't agree whit that statement. It is smart to have fun, but I prefer to do it at the lowest cost without sacrificing safety. So, it's smart to spend disposable income to have fun, but I prefer to spend my money wisely. Any reasonable mind would be hard pressed to justify an expensive dive computer when other options are considered.

None of this is a "smart" way to spend money...but, it IS fun. We all derive "fun" in different ways. I'm sure I'd disagree with some of your purchases, but then you didn't purchase them for me did ya. :wink:

Allowing for an NDL violation is all part of being aware of your situation.......//........

You are so totally NOT the type of diver that concerns me.

These guys are:

As a dive guide, I use two dive computers, one on air and one on nitrox. Most customers reply on me to monitor their NDL. .......//.....

Again, we agree. We are discussing new OW divers.

Excellent! Why do you do that?

Because I believe that computers are only screens with information that we have to understand and interpret for our advantage (from a user point of view). Studying DC theory, dive tables would only help us in better understanding the information our computers display to us. I believe that the new diver would only respect, appreciate and follow the guidance their computer is giving them if they understood the "theory" and some of the physiological basis for the information.

It is also very likely, based on industry trends, the entry level course is the only chance for the diver to learn about DC, tables and DCS and thus I do my best to give them the practice and knowledge that would be be at least the minimum they should know in their dive career.

The underlying theory is really what matters, it is what can come back to bite you. Tables and computers are just two different ways to grasp that theory and each has certain advantages.

As a dive guide, I use two dive computers, one on air and one on nitrox. Most customers reply on me to monitor their NDL.

As a dive guide, apparently you lead a lot of trust me dives. That's just plum Krazy. It's against all standards to share computers and you are in effect sharing your computer with your customers. As a dive guide, you ought to know better and your customers are just plain fools.

I love the convenience of computers for the type of diving that I do. However, I also distrust them as they can just quit on you or you can splash with some stupid nitrox setting that makes them useless for the dive. If it can happen, sooner or later it will.

So my left arm carries dive plans cut to suit the tanks I splashed with and a dive timer. I don't even trust that I will always have the tables and dive timer so I've memorized the 10min missed stop procedure using my SAC rate recalculated for psi's consumed at the four depth stops. Takes just about exactly 500psi and no timing device required.

Missed stop procedure? Four depth stops? Not sure what you are talking about here. Is this recreational diving or tech diving?

I can't agree whit that statement. It is smart to have fun, but I prefer to do it at the lowest cost without sacrificing safety. So, it's smart to spend disposable income to have fun, but I prefer to spend my money wisely. Any reasonable mind would be hard pressed to justify an expensive dive computer when other options are considered.

So, anyone diving a computer more expensive than yours is unreasonable? Is that you in your avatar? If so, it looks to me like you're sporting a nice looking DUI drysuit. Don't get me wrong...I dive one too...but, boy are they expensive. :D :shakehead:

You are so totally NOT the type of diver that concerns me.

These guys are:

Alot of people hire dive guides... They want to have fun with little or no responsibility. I just smile, take their money and treat them as if they are mentally retarded. I'll take their fins off, help them pull the wet suit up, spear the fish for them, let them breath off my tank for awhile to stay down longer, monitor their air, control the ascent, descent and dive profile. Its a little like adventure scuba... I make almost 300.00 for that service on a 2 tank dive trip. Sometimes I do that twice a day :) I have no problem being paid to be a servant... If they are always dependent on me to dive with them, thats fine. I will gladly accept the money. Granted I DONT ADVOCATE THIS, however I will not walk away from it either. Some people just like to be catered to, they could do it themselves they just dont want to. Its like having a caddy, butler or a wet nurse :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom